Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you just hate it when you plan a day of football and the referee calls off the game in the last moments? Especially when already having made the trip, this is extremely annoying. Can't they just inspect pitches the day before the game and announce the cancellation before fans waste a day to travel to a game not even played?

I had another one today... I had planned to go to TeBe Berlin's home game. It was quite stormy and windy but around noon I could not find any news on games being cancelled. I didn't know where to find the stadium by public transport maps, so I thought for once I'd take a taxi. Arrived at the stadium to find it empty, with one guy who was cleaning the canteen telling me the game was off because it was water-soaked :googly: 20 euros and a whole afternoon wasted, and then the guy didn't even allow me to enter the stadium to make some pictures of the ground :wth:

Well, I had worse...

When I lived in Belfast I decided to go down all the way to Bray (over 300 km) to see Bray play Bohemians. The game was called off only 1 or 2 hours prior to kick-off, but by then my train was already in Dublin and I had travelled 4 hours for nothing :depress:

Worst I had was a Genk-Oostende game in Belgium when the referee called off the game 5 minutes before kick-off time, with 15000 people already in the stadium. The trip had taken 3 hours and another 3 to get back home. They played the game 2 days later on a working day, with only a very few people from Oostende able to take time off work to travel 3 hours again on a working day's evening...

What was the worst call-off in football? Has it even happened that for example a UEFA Cup game was called off at the last moments while fans had already travelled 1000km to find out the game wouldn't be played?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, in a way it is. The Bundesliga games were played, but several lower league fixtures have been called off. Ironically, while semi professional TeBe Berlin had its pitch water-soaked, I noticed the amateur team in the same street had its game played as their pitch had artificial soil and couldn't get soaked.

Tomorrow I had planned to go to either Dynamo Berlin or Turkiyemspor Berlin, but with this stormy weather I fear I may waste my afternoon again to find an empty stadium. I hope this time, if called off, they announce it in time...

·
JESTER OF SORTS
21,015 Posts
Thankfully only 1 Bundesliga game was called off, the Energie Cottbus - Stuttgart game, as the Cottbus owner called it off...

I hope it's going to be replayed soon, don't want the EPL style of skewed tables due to unplayed games. (Liverpool/West Ham and now Chelsea/Spurs)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts