Xtratime Community banner

261 - 280 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Am I the only who is glad that Maldini didn't go for the panic buying on the last day of summer transfer? Very disciplined as he was a player!

Yes , we need a CB but not that desperate as made up by the media and journalists, who are more interested in selling their stories. Roma has already started his training on Sept. 22, and he could be ready for derby on Oct. 17th.

So far Gabbia has played 10 formal games, proved he is a capable sub for Roma and been growing exponentially under the guidance from Kjaer. He deserves playing time and continues his growth. Btw, he costs zero in terms of investment $$$.

Once the Serie A resumes, we shall have Roma, Kjaer and Gabbia, and probably Duarte, who is recuperating from Covid 19 not injury. Before the winter transfer window (only 3-month away), we shall have 5 CBs, including Mushacio.

Why rush now to buy someone who is not going dramatically improve our current defence?

I simply don't get the fascination here with Todibo and Kabako. Both refused to com to Milan the first time when Maldini showed his interest. By turing down us in January, Todibo went to Schalke, where he played measly 362 minutes. Kabak just gets red-carded and banned for 5 matches for spitting opponent.

Why should Maldini spend €30M money on them? Because they are young and with potential? Simakan has a market value of €12M, why should we pay €20M for a potential, albeit very talented?

Then I'd like to point out that Gabbia is also only 20 with potential, could play CB and DM, besides he's from Milan youth team. If he had been a player of other team and rumoured to be our target, would we complain why Maldini didn't pay $$$ to get him?

Milan can not pay €4M net salary plus 5M for loans for a backup (Rudigers or Bakayoko) while Theo and Bennacer earn €1.5M.

When some of you cheered up for Ralf Rangnick's "investing in youth" cheaply and early, shouldn't you use the same standard to cheer up for Maldini doing exactly the same?

Don't be double standard!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Totally agree with Rod that Theo will probably leave if we don't qualify Cl for next season.

It will be very difficult to get the last CL spot, given how strong and well gelled Atalanta and Lazio are, plus a much strengthened Napoli.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Totally agree with Rod that Theo will probably leave if we don't qualify Cl for next season.

It will be very difficult to get the last CL spot, given how strong and well gelled Atalanta and Lazio are, plus a much strengthened Napoli.
Pretty much agree.

I see Juve, Inter, & Atalanta as locks for top 3. Battle for 4th I think could come down to Napoli & Milan. Roma look weaker than last year, although they played well vs Juve, & Lazio have to cope with CL w/o really strengthening the squad. It's going to be tough.

We need Romagnoli & Kjaer to stay healthy. Our biggest drop-off in bench quality is clearly at centerback. I know some have faith that Gabbia can step in but he hasn't looked that good against Irish, Norwegian, Portuguese, & promoted Serie B teams(although his best game was his last vs Spezia) I'm not confident he will be able to cope with Lautaro, Lukaku, Ronaldo, Dzeko, Immobile, etc. Plus, we are still living in the Covid pandemic. There are going to be more positive cases over the next 3 months. God forbid Roma and/or Kjaer test positive.

If we can get to January in the top 4(or at least within touching distance of 4th) our chances will be really good to qualify for the CL. The second half of the year is less condensed than the first half.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Gabbia tested positive; hoping Romagnoli & Simon stays safe and healthy.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
IBRA news is a positive vibe for the whole team. I wont risk Rebic if he is not 100% fit. We need to win the battle on mid and press wider on wings.

·
Registered
45,468 Posts
Sorry if this is the wrong thread...wanted to follow up on the Tonali transfer.

It seems to be confirmed that Maldini was the protagonist in ensuring Milan went in and wrapped up a deal very quickly, taking advantage of Inter's inaction. This is exactly the sort of deal-making qualities everyone will salute.

But it shouldn't be surprising to any of you because it's really reflective of how he was as a player...extremely decisive. He goes in for a challenge, having read the situation, seeing the opportunity to strike and timing things to perfection. Ensuring the opponent cannot recover.

Here's the report:

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Thank you Firdaus for the article. After the Fasobelli era; Capitano has done a wonderful job and securing good signings so far.

·
Scudetto
23,400 Posts
I think he's that good because he holds legendary status amongst the football elite.

Makes me wonder whether Kaka would be able to insert similar influence if he joined us, especially considering the younger generation would be more familiar with his legend.

Too bad he can't join us since he needs to stay in Brazil with his kids. He and wife divorced if ya'll didn't follow.

·
va' fancul
1,911 Posts
Chiesa is overrated, and doesn't improve Juve imo. Fiorentina did the right thing, Chiesa wanted to leave and they are getting about 50m in the middle of a down market. Good business.
I apologize for the late response but I feel like I had to reply.

There's an argument that Chiesa is the best Italian born player in circulation at this moment. His creativity on the wings combined with his pace is no worse than most top European players right now. At the very least Chiesa offers Juve more assurances on the flanks than Douglas Costa who's a fantastic player in his own right who unfortunately suffered many injuries in the last two years. Its ultimately ridiculous how Juve continues to horde all the best Italian players and we wonder how they've racked up so many scudetti year after year.

Reactions: Mushfiq and Osman

·
Registered
23,933 Posts

There's an argument that Chiesa is the best Italian born player in circulation at this moment. His creativity on the wings combined with his pace is no worse than most top European players right now. At the very least Chiesa offers Juve more assurances on the flanks than Douglas Costa who's a fantastic player in his own right who unfortunately suffered many injuries in the last two years. Its ultimately ridiculous how Juve continues to horde all the best Italian players and we wonder how they've racked up so many scudetti year after year.
I wouldn't used the word "creativity" for Chiesa. He is a very direct player that dont do fancy tricks nor genius moves. Instead he is very much what I see from Juve players (with exceptions like Zidane), he is effective and bring quality to the things he do. He hit the ball well and he glides past opponents (he is IMO very reliant on his quickness). I dont know how Juve/Pirlo will utilise him though.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
I wouldn't used the word "creativity" for Chiesa. He is a very direct player that dont do fancy tricks nor genius moves. Instead he is very much what I see from Juve players (with exceptions like Zidane), he is effective and bring quality to the things he do. He hit the ball well and he glides past opponents (he is IMO very reliant on his quickness). I dont know how Juve/Pirlo will utilise him though.
Right wing-back, as Pirlo uses a back 3.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I would have been more than happy to see Chiesa join us. That said, it's not like I am blown away by him when I see him play..But he is an effective player and will help Juve a lot, but in terms of pure talent and skills, there are better options out there. And for the price Juve is paying I guess he was out of our budget anyway. Should really not have great regret about him not joining us.

·
Registered
60,422 Posts

Which other promising Italian players do juve currently have?

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
Yeah I don't agree canzano... with regards to the best Italian player currently, it's not Chiesa. Strong case for Immobile, capocannoniere last season with 36 goals. Also, Verratti's ability and talent are IMO second to none.

When it comes to Juventus and Italians, it's certainly shifted away from the strong core they had a few years ago (BBC, Pirlo, Marchisio). BBC is past-it, Bernardeschi has not lived up to expectations, so it's only really Chiesa. We have a better Italian cohort in Donnarumma, Romagnoli, the much-improved Calabria and in Tonali one of the biggest Italian prospects.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I see Chiesa as this generation's Antonio Candreva. An old school winger that will probably have a nice career. But he is not a player you can build your team around. In today's modern game a RW needs to be able to score more goals than Chiesa has. He is a poor finisher and I haven't seen any improvement in that department. He's in his 5th top flight season in Serie A, almost 23 years old, potential is for 18 year olds. He has to start showing it now. I haven't seen it yet. Kulusevski is better, younger, & plays the same position as Chiesa. He will have a hard time breaking into the starting lineup at Juve, unless he plays most of the matches at RWB.

·
Registered
23,933 Posts
Personally I would say Chiesa, I was never impressed by Bernadeschi and tought he just ran with the ball to much before.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
The sad truth is that most of the Juve bench warmers would walk straight in our starting line-up.

We need to continue what Paolo is doing now, to slowly improve the team but also to build the new stadium and gain more revenues so they can be used to bring champions in. Also, the youngsters need some quality "older" players to get the pressure of them and to perform better.

·
Registered
15,803 Posts
I think yes and no. Overall no question they have the better squad, more depth and higher level with their best players (focus shifted from a strong Italian core to world class stranieri like Ronaldo and Dybala). But would you choose a midfield of Hakan, Kessie and Bennacer, or of Ramsey, Rabiot and Bentancur? IMO Donnarumma and Theo would also walk in to their starting line-up.

261 - 280 of 281 Posts