Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OFFICIAL
Luigi Cagni is our new coach and has signed a contract until 2010.

Its on our website so cant get more official than that. Now we need to start early and get prepared for a long and hard season in serie b

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I was exactly about to post this new thread!

OK , I prefered the others that was mentioned before but it doesn't matter as he's our new coach now.

What do you know about Cagni guys?

Note: He's from Brescia (Ghirardi)

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I'm not so sure what to think, Cagni hardly has an impressive resume. I would of prefered Di Carlo or Novellino.
The best of luck to Gigi though, we will need it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
i don't like him, i think we may get promoted but he is often fired in serie a, i think this is short term thinking.

nevertheless, he is our new coach so good luck to him, negativity isn't very helpful right now.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I haven't even heard of him, but that probably says more about me.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
I like his moustache :pp

I would have preferred Scala (obviously) but best of luck to him :)

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
The word that comes to my mind is "uninspiring". But I haven't exactly followed his career and I don't even know what type of game he prefers.

Can anyone shed some light upon that? Favourite formation. Favourite style of play. Favourite players etc etc...

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Cagni is said to work good with young players. His preferred player seems to be Buscè, right winger or right back. I dont know which formation he'll use and which players he will want to keep. I would have preferred Novellino but Cagni is alright.

·
Registered
46,333 Posts
The word that comes to my mind is "uninspiring". But I haven't exactly followed his career and I don't even know what type of game he prefers.

Can anyone shed some light upon that? Favourite formation. Favourite style of play. Favourite players etc etc...
He has been the coach of Sampdoria in serie B so I can tell you what I remember. Sampdoria hired him in order to gain the promotion to serie A (cause Cagni had won 2 promotions to serie A with Piacenza) but that Sampdoria was a rather poor team and Cagni failed. In the following season Cagni was fired after 4 games and Sampdoria avoided the relegation to serie C in the very last days of the season.
First of all the formation: Cagni has no preferences. On the contrary, he likes to change the formation during a game, even from a 4 to 3 men defense. Truth is that, in spite of the formations shìt, from a tactical point of view Cagni is the typical Italian coach so don't expect brilliant football, the first rule is "avoiding to concede goals".
Cagni is above all a motivator, at Sampdoria he was famous for the sentence "I want players with the eyes of the tiger". :pp
He has been the first coach to give a real chance to Flachi at Sampdoria.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
That last sentence sounds frightening Toni. Last coach to motivate our players like that made us hit records in getting red cards (Cuper).

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Cagni have been fired many times since his success during the spell with Piacenza. He did a great job with Empoli and got a uefacup-place after finishing 6:th during the 06-07 season. The season after he got sacked... And later re-hired after Malesani got sacked. I dont know about this. Seems like a short term solution. Ghirardi will take this club to Serie C. And yep, Cagni is from Brescia. :yuck:

·
Registered
639 Posts
He has been the coach of Sampdoria in serie B so I can tell you what I remember. Sampdoria hired him in order to gain the promotion to serie A (cause Cagni had won 2 promotions to serie A with Piacenza) but that Sampdoria was a rather poor team and Cagni failed. In the following season Cagni was fired after 4 games and Sampdoria avoided the relegation to serie C in the very last days of the season.
First of all the formation: Cagni has no preferences. On the contrary, he likes to change the formation during a game, even from a 4 to 3 men defense. Truth is that, in spite of the formations shìt, from a tactical point of view Cagni is the typical Italian coach so don't expect brilliant football, the first rule is "avoiding to concede goals".
Cagni is above all a motivator, at Sampdoria he was famous for the sentence "I want players with the eyes of the tiger". :pp
He has been the first coach to give a real chance to Flachi at Sampdoria.
That's very useful to know about Cagni.My impression of Cagni is his experience in Empoli

That last sentence sounds frightening Toni. Last coach to motivate our players like that made us hit records in getting red cards (Cuper).
:pp:pp If it is permitted, Cuper will take a starting gun with him

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
God, why not just get Zeman? Italian football is so dull with him in retirement.

·
Banned
18,453 Posts
Cagni have been fired many times since his success during the spell with Piacenza. He did a great job with Empoli and got a uefacup-place after finishing 6:th during the 06-07 season. The season after he got sacked... And later re-hired after Malesani got sacked. I dont know about this. Seems like a short term solution. Ghirardi will take this club to Serie C. And yep, Cagni is from Brescia. :yuck:

I dont know what to say really.

I thought after the debacle with the relegation our president would
get his act together, and come up with a plan and a solution.

Lets all be honest here, Cagni is just an okay manager.

Its a gamble as well, it may or may not work out.... However I have
a feeling about this appointment, that at some point within the next
2-3 years the board will come to the conclusion, that this guy cant
take the club any further and we go our separate ways, that’s if he
somehow lasts that long.

I don’t see why we should waste this time.

There's one thing that distinguishes Parma from every Serie B club
and that’s the number of fans both at home and abroad.

If this club doesn’t get back to Serie A, not only that, but actually
play the quality football we all expect and demand, we're going to
start shedding fans so fast. This CANNOT happen at ALL COST.

It would mean the end of Parma Calcio, the David of Serie A, the club
that always punched above its weight, and this chapter will be consigned
to the history books.

I would have preferred it to get a plan together, and wait a month
at least and look at all the options, and who's the best manager for
Parma Calcio in the long run, stability is what breeds success, look
no further than Manchester United for proof of that.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Cagni: "Ho firmato un biennale per allenare il Parma anche in serie A"

PARMA, 29 MAGGIO - "Ho firmato un contratto biennale per centrare la promozione in A e guidare i gialloblu anche nella massima serie". Si presenta così il nuovo allenatore del Parma Gigi Cagni in una intervista telefonica concessa a Parmaok. "Non conoscevo il presidente Ghirardi - ha proseguito - ma il fatto di parlare lo stesso dialetto (entrambi sono di Brescia) è stato molto d'aiuto. A convincermi a scendere di categoria è stata la chiarezza degli obiettivi della società e il progetto importante che il Parma sta imbastendo". Su Lucarelli: "Non voglio parlare di giocatori, ancora è presto, entro la fine della settimana sarò a Parma per pianificare la prossima stagione e la ripresa dei lavori, sui gialloblu posso soltanto dire che è difficile trovare un club così serio in giro e sono fiero di essere qui".

parmaok.it

He came to us because he liked our project and he is proud to be here and wants to bring us back in A.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cagni is the typical Italian coach so don't expect brilliant football, the first rule is "avoiding to concede goals".
Oh no that sounds bad as we have tried this tactic at times under Di Carlo and always under Cuper and we cant defend!
Uninspiring choice of coach but hopefully Cagni can get the players to reach their potential.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I still think Di Carlo would of been the right option. If he could of worked alongside good people and not clowns like Zamagna - why is he still in a job? - then he would of been the correct coach for the long term.

·
Banned
275 Posts
I dont know what to say really.

I thought after the debacle with the relegation our president would
get his act together, and come up with a plan and a solution.

Lets all be honest here, Cagni is just an okay manager.

Its a gamble as well, it may or may not work out.... However I have
a feeling about this appointment, that at some point within the next
2-3 years the board will come to the conclusion, that this guy cant
take the club any further and we go our separate ways, that’s if he
somehow lasts that long.

I don’t see why we should waste this time.

There's one thing that distinguishes Parma from every Serie B club
and that’s the number of fans both at home and abroad.

If this club doesn’t get back to Serie A, not only that, but actually
play the quality football we all expect and demand, we're going to
start shedding fans so fast. This CANNOT happen at ALL COST.

It would mean the end of Parma Calcio, the David of Serie A, the club
that always punched above its weight, and this chapter will be consigned
to the history books.

I would have preferred it to get a plan together, and wait a month
at least and look at all the options, and who's the best manager for
Parma Calcio in the long run, stability is what breeds success, look
no further than Manchester United for proof of that.

I agree with your post LL, all except for one thing. Waiting, is the biggest mistakes we have made in the past, and during transfer windows in the past 18months, so acting quicker, rather than sitting around and being left with the scraps! waiting is the reason why we have lost quality players, eg, G Rossi, and also the reason why we have not signed talent , and left it for the quicker clubs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts