Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toni to miss Cagliari trip Friday 10 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fiorentina will have to do without hitman Luca Toni for Sunday’s visit to Cagliari, as his recurring ankle problem has taken its toll.

The striker has been struggling with a persistent ankle injury for several weeks now and it has affected his form, netting just once in his last five Serie A games.

His condition has deteriorated over the past few days and there are strong reports that he won’t be able to recover in time to play at the Stadio Sant’Elia.

Youth team player Di Carmine has been added to the squad as a replacement, but it’s expected Valeri Bojinov and Luis Jimenez will start upfront. Toni is the leading Capocannoniere in Serie A with 23 goals in 28 games.

This isn’t the only injury that Coach Cesare Prandelli has to contend with, as Per Kroldrup and Dario Dainelli are also not 100 per cent fit.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fiore fancies Fiorentina's chances Saturday 11 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stefano Fiore believes that Francesco Totti’s injury has tipped the balance in favour of Fiorentina in the race for fourth spot.

“Roma could pay the price for Totti’s absence in terms of both quality and character,” said the former Lazio midfielder after Totti was ruled out for three months with a fractured ankle.

“They are also still in the running for the UEFA Cup and Coppa Italia, so that’s a lot of energy to be using up with a relatively small squad to choose from.”

The Viola were in that Champions League slot before Roma’s record run of 11 consecutive victories allowed them to leapfrog the Tuscans, but last week their positions reversed again and only one point separates the two sides.

“In any case, we are focusing on our own season and not what our opponents achieve. It has been a positive campaign for us, but there is a long way to go and we’ll have to keep fighting until the end with the right determination and drive.”

Fiorentina will make Sunday’s trip to Cagliari without talismanic striker Luca Toni due to a recurring ankle problem, so Luis Jimenez should partner Valeri Bojinov.

“Cagliari are very strong on home turf and have some players who are effective on the counter-attack, while the arrival of Coach Nedo Sonetti has given them extra experience and grit.”

Fiore can also feel the pressure on his own shoulders after Press denigration of his recent performances for the Stadio Artemio Franchi side.

“I feel the criticism has been a little excessive, as I’ve done some good things and some bad over the last two or three games. If it’d been terrible for months on end, then I’d have understood, but I feel I responded to some of my critics last Sunday.”

channel4

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The Gazzetta predicts a Jimenez-Bojinov attack. I guess Prandelli sees Pazzini as a joker after his last-gasp goal vs Siena.

Still I'd rather seen him in the starting XI alongside Bojinov, but Prandelli knows better anyhow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am not happy that Pazzini appears to be nmissing out . Prandelli has done a lot for Viola but imo he is far too defensive in his outlook . Both Fiore and Jorgensen are attacking players but have been mainly asked to cover defensive duties - that is why neither has played to potential.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
omg without Toni,first match without Toni...what to do.....i hope De Falco,Paolucci or Di Carmine are gonna play :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Not having Toni for one match doesn't concern me too much, however I'm worried hearing that both Koldrup and Dainelli are struggling with fitness. This is a team we should get points from (though since we're away from home its quite likely that we'll come back with nothing), but if we're missing our two central defenders then I'm worried.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
toni needed a rest anyway and our other strikers seem to all be in good form and desperate to show prandelli who should be the first choice after toni, so I'm not concerned about our attack in this game

however, like CRS I'm more worried about the defense where we need the stability of kroldrup/dainelli

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
yes me2,without those 2,we have like Gamberini/Di Loreto? and i think Di is injured..

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
There is also another problem, don't remmeber names exactly, but i think that both Ufo and Dario are one yellow card from a match stop.

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Probable formation sees our central defenders to be Di Loreto and Dainelli with Kroldrup on the bench, and in attack as Mago said above Jimenez and Bojinov. Paolucci might be on the bench.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Look what happened last time we paired Pazzini and Bojinov...I think Prandelli is playing his cards right in empowering Boji and giving him the responsibility he craves whilst also demanding Pazzini prove himself in the stint he'll most likely get in the second half.
A logical start would have Pazzini partnering Boji, but with the threat of being dropped it could force Pazz to go all out and produce some 2nd half brilliance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For any Aussies with Foxtel (or anyone who knows someone who has it) tonights game is going to be shown live on ESPN at 9.55 (Perth time). Can't wait to watch the team havnt seen them play in ages.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Never trust channel4!

(from: http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/mar12d.html)

“The Sardinians have great potential in attack and we must try to limit the depth of the trident made up of David Suazo, Antonio Langella and Mauro Camoranesi,” added Prandelli. “Nedo Sonetti is a Coach I admire and I know that from experience, as he was my tactician during my playing days.”

:tongue:

Stick by Gazzetta, fio.it, Calcio Toscano etc. instead, they seldom dare to make such blunders, if ever.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
any streams? once that work plsssssssssss!!! nikofv? :D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Me neither :(
Currently watching Ascoli-Roma and holding my fingers for Ascoli;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts