Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Cagliari v Fiorentina

The exit from the UEFA Cup was heartbreaking but we must still look forward to the remaining Serie A games, all against teams avoiding relegation.

Cagliari are hanging on for dear life, five points clear of the precipice overlooking Serie B, while Fiorentina are losing their grip on fourth place and a Champions League spot.

Cagliari have put the cat among the proverbial relegation pigeons in recent weeks, winning two games in-a-row before valiantly bowing to champions-elect Inter at San Siro on Sunday. The Sardi have become a well-oiled machine since Davide Ballardini’s arrival, with every cog slipping into place and doing its job. Unfortunately some of the most important components are missing.

Robert Acquafresca, the Azzurrini striker who has been banging in goals and attracting interest from Italy’s biggest clubs, is struggling for fitness while midfield string-puller, Daniele Conti, is tied up in agony with a stomach complaint. The absence of playmaking lighthouse Pasquale Foggia has also meant the Islanders have lost their way in the final third of the pitch, cutting front-man Jeda adrift from the rest of the team.

Cagliari will not be scared though and will be confident ahead of the Viola’s voyage to Sardinia. The Rossoblu have turned Sant’Elia, which was a sand castle at the start of the season, into an intimidating fortress and haven’t lost there in eight matches. Fiorentina have been defeated on their last four trips away from the Artemio Franchi and will be tired after a UEFA Cup semi-final second leg against Scottish giants Rangers.

Cesare Prandelli’s men are showing signs of fatigue and, having played 52 games already this season, the wind is no longer in their sails as it was at the turn of the year. While the Gigliati have gone through the odd purple patch in each of their last five games, they have failed to kill off teams. But the tide could change with the return of Giampaolo Pazzini who is back from suspension. The Viola have also won five of their last six meetings with Cagliari.

Keep an eye on: Giampaolo Pazzini (Fiorentina) – The 23-year-old has been criticised for his inconsistency this season and will be looking to get back on the scoresheet after three weeks without a goal. The former Atalanta youngster was touted to step into Luca Toni’s boots after the World Cup winner’s departure last summer and although he has disappointed, he certainly has the potential to light up any game.

From this moment on, every game will be hard since every team that goes against us will have the extra motivation to win and escape relegation, not to mention this season's bottom table race is very tight where seven teams are still unsafe. Milan and Sampdoria are also chasing us, though Milan will have a difficult match this week, their derby against Inter and Sampdoria going against Roma. If we can get the three points here, it would be a good cushion for the next match against Parma (apparently they are somewhat of a bogey team to us).

Hopefully, the players can use the last three matches to just unleash everything and pent their frustration of exiting the cup to hammer away on those three teams.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think it's time for us to go completely mad against Cagliari. Nothing against them personally, it's just time for us to take all of this pent up angst out on someone, and they're next on the fixture list.

Ale' Viola!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Match is being shown delayed here in the US as the match they're showing now is the Milan derby. So far 20 min into the match and its looking like Inter are not going to be doing us any favors today. Match so far has been all Milan.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
everyone is disappointment, it is so clear
I'm pretty sure what you just posted was the result of mistranslation, so if that is true, then i'm by no means having a go at you with the following:

As many of our forumites have put it, even if we don't make the CL and having dropped out of UEFA, i will still be proud of our lads at the end of the year and by no means consider them disappointments. Sure they had hectic schedules, but what also didnt help was the media spotlight placed on them to 'carry the flag' and the balls to the wall situation they have been in for the past month.
To add to this mindfeck of a situation is a completely crazy game that just throws your team off balance and puts an already tired squad through extra time and heartbreaking penalties. Tough stuff.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Can't watch the match, but I took Viola girl's comment to mean the team is playing poorly in the match because they're still carrying the disappointment of the recent loss we had against Rangers, not that we're all disappointed with the team.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I stopped posting before because each time I posted Cagliari would score in the same minute. Well, we lost and Milan won (Inter seemed asleep until Milan were up 2-0, then they seemed to finally start to play). Milan are ahead of us now by 1 point with 2 matches to play. Mutu's out of the next match too (which sucks, but I think we'll be OK without him in the next one).

Crap!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Perdenti...useless. They could show up their rivals on 3 fronts:
- Win the derby
- Win the scudetto and party in front of them
- Kick them out of the CL running

they screw up all three. inter are useless.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I'm pretty sure what you just posted was the result of mistranslation, so if that is true, then i'm by no means having a go at you with the following:

As many of our forumites have put it, even if we don't make the CL and having dropped out of UEFA, i will still be proud of our lads at the end of the year and by no means consider them disappointments. Sure they had hectic schedules, but what also didnt help was the media spotlight placed on them to 'carry the flag' and the balls to the wall situation they have been in for the past month.
To add to this mindfeck of a situation is a completely crazy game that just throws your team off balance and puts an already tired squad through extra time and heartbreaking penalties. Tough stuff.
Personally, I support my team and I know how tough the stuff that they went through! I'm not angry at the team at all, I'm totally proud of them and I'm proud to be one of fiorentina's fans but I say They clearly looked very disappointment during the match doesn't mean I blame them!

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
I think that the only thing missing was someone other than Mutu capable of scoring more regularly. Maybe Pazzini himself in the future or a not so ruined vieri. With that they would have beat Rangers and won a couple of more points in Serie A that would give them a comfortable situation right now. A real pity, cause the rest of the team was good and capable of producing nice football.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You guys are going to hate me, but I never, ever want to see Mutu in a Viola kit again after that display at the end. Complete selfishness, player before club stuff. I don't care how good you are, if that's what you do when you have a chance to lead...go away.

I might change my mind eventually, but as of right now I want him gone.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Ever since we had the Gamberini & Ujfalusi partnership in the center of defence, we been losing n conceding quite a number of goals...Yes they look solid but what the point if we are not gaining any benefit from it...Gamberini with either dainelli or krouldup is shacky sometimes...but the results goes our way most of the time.

Talk about defy logic....

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
That's where the dreams end...
And Pasqual and Pazzini, enough of them for me!! :wallbang:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.