Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the better right-back? Cafu or Javier Zanetti? Imo, Cafu is a workhorse who is great at running down the right flank and serving out crosses, where as Zanetti is better in defending. Opinions?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ze da Fiel said:
Cafu's career can't be compared to such a loser like Javier Zanetti! It's a blasphemy!
Did your "brazillians are gods" alarm just go off. :cool:

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Papa,

Compare both then

If you compare contribution to the team... Cafu is much better, as he is deadly in attack and can defend very well (specially after he went to Italy)

Ok Zanetti has a good pass and good pyshical preparation... but Cafu can run 10 times as much as Zanetti can... due to his above level pyshical preparation.

Then if you want to compare trophies and leadership, then Zanetti will only be left to be sitting in the schoolboy high school, while the PhD Cafu lectures him on how to win:

2 World Cups
2 Libertadores
2 Serie A (1 for ROMA of all teams)
1 Cup Winners Cup
1 Brasileiro
3 Toyota Cups
3 Paulistas
2 Copa America
2 South American Super Cup
Only Player to have ever played in 3 World Cup Finals
Most capped player of the Brazilian National team

Can school boy, sore loser Javier Zanetti cope with this comparison in both club & national team level?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
winnier or loser depend on a team they play for. Cafu made better choice of team he played for, Brasil did well in the same period.

It does not diminish Zanetti's quality.

My opinion: Little difference in quality. Chose Zanetti for consistency :)

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
papa said:
Did your "brazillians are gods" alarm just go off. :cool:
:howler:

No kidding Ze, do you smell these threads?

I'd take Cafu, I just love the guy.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
aca said:
winnier or loser depend on a team they play for. Cafu made better choice of team he played for, Brasil did well in the same period.

It does not diminish Zanetti's quality.

My opinion: Little difference in quality. Chose Zanetti for consistency :)

Sorry, but Cafu won trophies with ROMA & REAL ZARAGOZA of all teams.

Zanetti played for Inter Milan and has been the captain of the team for a while. Were is his leadership in motivating players and helping the directors board and the manager to do things the right way??

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
so i guess it's zanetti's fault that Inter failed and Cafu is the reason Roma & Zaragosa won?

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Well,

He did play a very considerable part in all teams he played. Always has been important to any manager due to his advantage pyshical condition.

Just remember that double volley he did against Nedved in a Roma x Lazio derby. Never seen Zanetti even try one of those, due to lack of capabilities :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
as i say, it's a matter of personal preference between them.

I dont think that JZ lack any capability, but again, it's personal oppinion. :)

and it does not take away anything from Cafu ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Both are great. But I prefer Cafu. Not a surprising choice, right?
Zanetti is amazing running with the ball. He is a better dribbler. But he is not good at crossing. I also feel he doesn't connect to his teammates enough while attacking. I've seen a few occasions he dribbled past 3 opponnent players but failed to pass the ball to teammates at better positions.

Cafu has better cross, better shot, arguably more stamina, more efficient in attacking. He has better end products in attacking, more goals and assist. He knows how to connect with teammates, Gattuso, Kaka and Sheva, in attacking.

As for defense skills, they are about on the same level.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I actually think that today, Cafu can defend better than Zanetti. But that happened only after he went to play in Italy. Before Zanetti was much better in defeding.

And that is very much the trademark of Cafu's career. I saw him at a very early age in Sao Paulo when he was an attacking left midfielder, and he was just really, really crap. No one (not even his mum) would have thought that he would have the career he had.

Then his first game for Brazil was against Spain, he played in the right wing.... totally lost aswell.

Then master Tele Santana got him and put him at right back. Had a very limited ability and could not cross a ball to save his life. But as time went by, the guy was just getting better and better. Along the years he went adding more skills into his repetoir, and today he is this perfect finished article as a right back. Today the guy is complete.... something he was not about 5 years ago!

Thumbs up for the guy, a true winner and a workacholic :) Never gives up!:)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Did Cafu once play as a forward in Sao Paulo? I remember he played 93 toyota cup vs Milan?

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
He played as a right winger for about a year (end of 92 until 93). Never a center forward. He also played in every position in midfield. :)

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Sorry, but Cafu won trophies with ROMA... of all teams.
Yeah, that was something else, wasn't it? I mean, to win the league with the likes of Samuel, Batistuta, Totti, Tommasi, Zanetti, Candela and Montella in the same side!! :eek: ...How Cafu managed it will forever remain a mystery..

In answer to the question- Zanetti.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
aca said:
so i guess it's zanetti's fault that Inter failed and Cafu is the reason Roma & Zaragosa won?
Not the reason but certainly part of the reason. Or did they not play for their teams? Are we now not giving credit for win and no blame for losses?:confused:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
it was a quasi sarcastical question ;)

I dont think that any player contributes more than 1/11 to the success or failure of the team. So if a player is playing in the winning team, there are that contributes equally. :)

Thats obvious talking about performance on the pitch only :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts