Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Zamalek get their first point, grand achievement. :tongue:

And thanks to their home draw with Chelsea, Ahly are through to the semis.

Mazembe-Ahly to start in a while, should be a good game. Predict Mazembe to win.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
HT 0-0

Difficult as expected

Ahly yet to register a shot on target, Mazembe could have scored 2-3.

How cool is the Mazembe chairman? wearing a cowboy hat :shades:

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
FT Mazembe won 2-0

the team with the better chances won

the match commentator was saying that Mazembe did not lose at home since 2000.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Esperance win their group after a fluke goal win at home against Sunshine. Esperance have won each and every single game in the groupstages to date, impressive feat.

Btw the commentator of Mazembe-Ahly mentioned a funny anecdote: In the 1974 ACN (was held in Egypt) the Zaire delegate created a big fuss because they had brought over monkeys with them and wanted to cook the monkeys in their hotel but the hotel (understandably) refused, so they cooked the monkeys in their embassy instead. :D

Zaire knocked out Egypt from that tournament ftr. Monkey power! (not racist)

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
CAF Champions League 2012

Group Stage

Group A

Sunshine Stars (NIG) 0-2 Espérance de Tunis (TUN)

Espérance de Tunis (TUN) 3-2 ASO Chlef (ALG)

Sunshine Stars (NIG) 2-0 ASO Chlef (ALG)

ASO Chlef (ALG) 1-2 Sunshine Stars (NIG)

Espérance de Tunis (TUN) 1-0 Sunshine Stars (NIG)

ASO Chlef (ALG) 1-0 Espérance de Tunis (TUN)

Final Standings
1 Espérance de Tunis (TUN) ...4G 3W 0D 1L 6-3 9P
2 Sunshine Stars (NIG) ...........4G 2W 0D 2L 4-4 6P
---------------------------------------------------
3 ASO Chlef (ALG) ....................4G 1W 0D 3L 4-7 3P

Etoile Sahel (Tunisia) was excluded for crowd trouble.

Group B

Berekum Chelsea (GHA) 3-2 Zamalek (EGY)

Al Ahly (EGY) 2-1 TP Mazembe (DRC)

TP Mazembe (DRC) 2-2 Berekum Chelsea (GHA)
Zamalek (EGY) 0-1 Al Ahly (EGY)

TP Mazembe (DRC) 2-0 Zamalek (EGY)
Al Ahly (EGY) 4-1 Berekum Chelsea (GHA)

Berekum Chelsea (GHA) 1-1 Al Ahly (EGY)
Zamalek (EGY) 1-2 TP Mazembe (DRC)

Zamalek (EGY) 1-1 Berekum Chelsea (GHA)
TP Mazembe (DRC) 2-0 Al Ahly (EGY)

Berekum Chelsea (GHA) 1-0 TP Mazembe (DRC)
Al Ahly (EGY) 1-1 Zamalek (EGY)

Final Standings
1 Al Ahly (EGY) ....................6G 3W 2D 1L 09-06 11P
2 TP Mazembe (DRC) ..............6G 3W 1D 2L 06-04 10P
-----------------------------------------------------
3 Berekum Chelsea (GHA) ..........6G 2W 3D 1L 09-10 09P
4 Zamalek (EGY) .......................6G 0W 2D 4L 05-10 02P

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Esperance win their group after a fluke goal win at home against Sunshine. Esperance have won each and every single game in the groupstages to date, impressive feat.
Until yesterday when they lost 0-2 against ASO Chlef.

Your prediction of an Espérance vs Al Ahly final will be tested today as before the last group stage round of matches Al Ahly is trailing TP Mazembe even if equal on points. You'll have to do a better result than the Congolese today or else you'll have to face the Tunisians already in the semi final.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
I think Esperance lost 1-0?

Think neither Ahly nor Mazembe will win today. (ko 17:00 btw)

Ahly's coach El Badry will rest players as he fears possible suspensions for the semis. Also Abo Treka has been suspended by the club because he refused to play the domestic Super Cup (Ahly Ultras were totally against playing the game because of what happened in Portsaid back in Feb, and Treka sided with them)

Chelsea have officially sold the top scorer of the tournament to Esperance (Emmanuel Clottey), but obviously he can't participate with Esperance in this current edition.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Think neither Ahly nor Mazembe will win today. (ko 17:00 btw)
I'm good :D Neither have won.

Ahly win the group after a 1-1 draw, while Mazembe 1-0 lose in Ghana. Ahly-Esperance final still on, Filipe ;)

2nd spot in the group is deserved for Mazembe, they failed to beat Chelsea in both games while Ahly have beaten Mazembe, Zamalek and Chelsea.

Horrible defending from Mazembe on the goal they conceded, and now they face Esperance in a repeat of the 2010 final. Mazembe ****ed Esperance back then so an element of revenge is there.

Ahly take on Sunshine in the other semi, which is a much lighter tie than Esperance. Sunshine lost home and away to Esperance, nuff said really. Also Esperance have knocked us out in the last couple of editions. And another thing, in general black African teams are a bit naive in defending, lack organisaation so by all accounts this is a good tie for Ahly. I'd give us an edge over Sunshine, while the Esperance-Mazembe semi is 50-50.

Ahly owe this draw to Mohamed Barakat, who came off the bench to score the equalizer. He has scored in both games against Zamalek in the 2005 ACL semis, now he haunts them on the continental stage again. What's amusing is that Mohamed Barakat is a Zamalek fan. :D

The 2nd player who deserves praise from Ahly is goalkeeper Sherif Ikramy. Had not for him Zamalek would have won today for sure. His father has won the old edition of this tournament with Al-Ahly back in the 80s, btw.

P.S. Zamalek end the group winless, lolz.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ahly win the group after a 1-1 draw, while Mazembe 1-0 lose in Ghana. Ahly-Esperance final still on, Filipe ;)
Yes, you were right after all. ;) But something tells me that it will be the top 2 teams of Group B to reach the final. We'll see.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Esperance won the Tunisian league today. 4th time in a row.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Good news for me personally. I have both Saturday and Sunday (6 and 7 October) as days off which means that I'll be watching the 2 semis. :yess:

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
HT

Sunshine 1-2 Ahly

2 shots on target for Ahly, 2 goals. Efficient which is needed especially away from home as the away goal is worth gold.

Sunshine is inferior to Mazembe, Chelsea and Zamalek based on what I've seen.

Wael Goma'a was to blame for the goal we conceded. That's 3 goals now that we conceded in this tournament where he should have done better.

The Sunshine dude with long hair is their most threatening player. Short guy who likes to shoot.

Won't be able to watch the whole 2nd half as I have to go out :groan: in times like this I long for being single..

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Btw the attendance must be an all time low for a semi in a continental competition. Pretty shameful tbh, though Sunshine aren't a big club in Nigeria based on what I know.

·
Registered
36,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
CAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2012

Semi Finals

1st Leg

Sunshine Stars (NGR) 3-3 Al Ahly (EGY)
(Tamen 34', Olorundare 73' pen., Osasco 84';
Gedo 18', 74', Al Sayed Hamdy 30')

TP Mazembe (DRC) 0-0 Espérance de Tunis (TUN)

2nd Leg

Espérance de Tunis (TUN) 1-0 TP Mazembe (DRC)
(Ben Mansour 70')

Al Ahly (EGY) 1-0 Sunshine Stars (NGR)
(Gedo 28')

---
In GREEN qualified for the Final

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Now I'm sure we won't win the tournament even if scoring 3 away goals is great. Losing a 2-0 lead? 3 goals conceded?

El Badry should play with a 3 man defence, all the African trophies won by Egypt and Al Ahly between 2005-2010 were won with 3 at the back.

But it's not just tactics: another problem with Ahly is that they don't have a single proven/reliable CB nowadays. Mohamed Naguib is still youngish and lacks experience, same applies for Sa'ad Samir and Ramy Rabi'ah. Wael Goma'a is too old and finished (was great back in the day) and Sherif Abdel Fadil is better on the right than in the centre. I simply don't trust Sherif at the heart of the defence. A solution that should be considered is playing Ahmed Fathy as a CB, he played there before for Egypt in the 06 final against Cote d'Ivoire. Hossam Ghaly as a libero should also be considered.

Esperance are the team with the best results tbh. Won all their games in the gorupstage bar one (after they had qualified anyway), and not conceding any goals away to Mazembe which is pretty rare. I recall back in 2002 Al-Ahly drew 0-0 at Mazembe's place but qo Mazembe are stronger/more experienced nowadays.

Saw the last 30 minutes or so, Mazembe had a big chance in the 89th minute but their player blew it over the bar from 8 yards out. The Tunisian commentator instantly said, 'Esperance in the final'. You don't take your chances, you're dead. Btw he also said that Mazembe captain Tresor Mputu is the leading all time scorer in African club competitions with 41 goals. Mputu is quite the player.

Hopefully none of my team members at work have reserved 20/10 as a day off, I'd like to watch the Esperance-Mazembe return leg. As for Ahly's game, it will probably clash with Juve-Napoli and seeing as my bro is a gobbo then I'll miss it unless I go out, and I'm lazy.

If we lose at home to Sunshine (or draw 4-4 :D) it would be some choke. Now I recall how a Nigerian team, Kano Pillars, knocked us out in Cairo a few years ago, despite drawing the game in Nigeria 1-1. Hopefully El Badry reminds the players with that tie. He was Manuel Jose's assistant back then if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Esperance 1-0 Mazembe

Ben Mansour (Mansour translates to victorious, btw)

Not the prettiest of goals but it proved enough. If I recall correctly, Ben Masnour was sent off back in the 2010 final against Mazembe when Esperance were trounced, so that goal must be extra special for him.

Mazembe can't defend, I think a Mazembe defender could have headed the ball better instead it reached an Esperance player at the far post.

tonight it's the other semi, Ahly vs. Sunshine.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Ahly won 1-0 a few hours ago. I guess it makes sense that Sunshine lost, seeing as the game was played after sunset so of course they couldn't possibly shine. If their name was Moonlight Stars instead it would have been a different matter. :D

Jokes aside..

Nagy Gedo has Sunshine's number, scoring 3/4 of our goals in the tie. The goal was Barca like, tiki-taka baby!

[tub]UY1mpJPyngY[/tub]

First half Ahly had more chances (way more), 2nd half Sunshine had more chances.

This tie kinda felt as if Ahly were playing against 1 player, the short guy named Medrano. Reminded me with a player who was great against us for Senegalese side Jeanne D'Arc in the CAF CL back in 2002. Don't recall his name atm.

Final 1st leg is in Egypt, 4th of November. IF I'm not mistaken, we knocked Esperance out of the 2001 CL semis on that date. Sayed Abdel Hafiz, currently the team director, scored a great volley.

Esperance managed 2 clean sheets against Mazembe, scoring against them will be pretty hard. Moreover keeping a clean sheet will be hard too, our backline is not reliable..

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Just checked Inter.it, and thankfully Juve-Inter is scheduled on the 3rd of November. Was worried those 2 matches would clash.

2 consecutive big days of football. Will make sure to reserve them as days off work.

Esperance and Juve have had the upper hand over Ahly and Inter respectively in the past couple of years, though. 3rd time's the charm? time will tell.

·
Registered
57,416 Posts
Will ask T4L via PM to come post in this thread, should be fun! Kinda bored of talking to myself tbh :D :D

21 - 40 of 56 Posts