Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aaaaand there it is. There were times when we had 3 teams in the CL semi final. There were times when Milan carried the torch alone. But when was the last time only one team made it to the friggin quarter final? That's pathetic as it gets. I suppose we shouldn't discount Roma just yet, although I don't have much faith in them. But be that as it may, it's been an utterly embarrassing showing for Serie A in Europe this year.

It isn't just the fact of elimination, but also how it happened. Inter dug themselves a hole that not even a construction crane would get them out of. Milan left it open as they've done many times in the past, but in the return leg they had absolutely nothing to offer. And it's not like these exits happened at the feet of giants. Liverpool and Arsenal delivered average performances and they probably haven't even hit their best form yet in this competition. That's all it takes these days. And Lazio, well they aren't that sort of club anymore, no surprise there.

Oh, how far we've fallen. Meanwhile, hateful fans celebrate their rivals' elimination. What on earth is there to be happy about?

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Think this thread is a bit uncalled for. Milan and Inter exited to two great teams from the EPL. In the end a team has to win and one has to lose. Lets not forget the team in the last 8 beat the team currently first in La Liga. Serie A has surely had better days, but I still think this year is good for Serie A. Inter didnt get much luck. I mean 2 red cards and a deflected goal conceded in the first game.... while Milan only went out in the last 5 minutes (even if Arsenal were the better team).

EPL has the best big teams in the world currently largely because their best teams play with freedom, creativity and has some quality players. Inter tonight had an average team on the field. A finished Vieira, Stankovic etc. Im unsure how they lead Serie A with this team, but of course during the season they played different teams too.

In the end though, Roma is in the CL. Fiorentina have a big 2nd leg in UEFA tomorrow for final 8. Its still not all bad and Serie A has had worse days. In the early part of this milennium there were 2 seasons in a row we had 0 Quarter Finalists and alot of very poor teams. Its better than that now surely.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
So should we say bye bye to la liga, they only have one team too?

Stop being a drama queen, it is one of those years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The answer is simple. Milan thought their old squad can make the same magic did last season and win trophies, wrong transfer strategy! while Juventus is stopped by Inter with illegal ways, so we need a a few more years to get on track again (thou that is not going to happen soon with these board and manager). Inter Milan is always Inter Milan (I think everyone knows what I meant) , while Roma is still the fourth big club in Italy, they are the second time runners of Serie A because of the reasons I mentioned already.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
By the way, its also a blessing for disguise for Italy... hopefuly all our NT stars get good rest before Euro 08 ;)

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Thanks for this thread, it should help our luck in the 1/4 finals. ;)

We'll still lose heavily anyway, of course.

BTW, Arsenal played great football against Milan and still needed a miracle strike in the last 6 minutes to beat them. Inter were screwed by the refs. So it certainly wasn't that bad.

·
Registered
7,951 Posts
Aw come on Milan won the CL last year, but we are simply not the same, but with a few new signings in the summer we will be back again.
Roma is becoming a new european superpower and they can only go up.
Then Juventus will come in the CL next year and yes they wont be as good as they were, but would still be a huge upgrade from Lazio this year.
In case Fiorentina make it i think they will do good.

And Inter will have mourinho.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lets not forget the team in the last 8 beat the team currently first in La Liga.
Yes, that is the bright point. The only one.

Serie A has surely had better days, but I still think this year is good for Serie A. Inter didnt get much luck. I mean 2 red cards and a deflected goal conceded in the first game.... while Milan only went out in the last 5 minutes (even if Arsenal were the better team).
If you consider this a good year then I wonder what it would take to have a bad one. I mean you're pretty patriotic, Dean, is this all it takes to make you happy?

Think of what it's going to be like next year. Milan may or may not qualify, same for Juve, but in any case both are currently in transition and much too weak to put up a fight. That leaves Inter, Mancini has just announced he's leaving. I don't see much light in the tunnel.

So should we say bye bye to la liga, they only have one team too?
Actually, yes. But I let other people worry about that.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Actually Toni we had 0 QF's in 00-01 and also 01-02 when Roma and Juve were eliminated in second group stage. They were our worse days.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes, that is the bright point. The only one.

If you consider this a good year then I wonder what it would take to have a bad one. I mean you're pretty patriotic, Dean, is this all it takes to make you happy?

Actually, yes. But I let other people worry about that.
Im realistic. After all thats happened to Serie A, we have done well enough to have even one QF and still currently the champion of Europe (until May at least).

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
thats something i never did like about you people who in first place fans of big clubs from top leagues - you're so stuck up its unbelievable.

only 1 team made it to the qfs and its the end of the world. well here's a newsflash for you there are tons of teams who didn't make it even as far as italian teams have. no this isn't rock bottom, nor as pathetic as it gets. take it from someone who knows more about pathetic football clubs than you - it can get a whole lot worse ;)

also everyone has its ups and downs. you can't be on top forever.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Make it 6 Numerodix... 01-02 ;)

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats something i never did like about you people who in first place fans of big clubs from top leagues - you're so stuck up its unbelievable.
I happily take that accusation. Supporting these clubs that we do is all about being stuck up and expecting the world. But it's not so unfair as you make it sound. Do you have any idea the resources these institutions operate with? The number of people buying tv subscriptions and memorabilia crap that goes right into the yearly budget? My god, these people practically fund their clubs.

Arrogance? Yes. Misplaced? Not entirely.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the world cup 2006, noi non "restiamo francesi" :D
Oh can it, I vividly remember your patriotic battles with Bastin about the merits of Serie A, so don't try and tell me you don't care about Italy's position anymore. :tongue:

·
Registered
46,331 Posts
Oh can it, I vividly remember your patriotic battles with Bastin about the merits of Serie A, so don't try and tell me you don't care about Italy's position anymore. :tongue:
When the NT rules I don't need anything more. Bastin committed suicide after the world cup. RIP

1 - 20 of 103 Posts