Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An extract from Yahoo! World soccer...the complete story is too long!

"...For a while at the start of the second half, the Czechs looked capable of handing the French their first defeat for a year.

The world champions needed some luck with their first goal. Gabriel gave the ball away to Henry 20 metres from goal and the in-form forward took his chance, sprinting into the right of the box and slotting the ball into the far left-hand corner.

After Henry had scored what was his second goal of the competition, he had a superb chance to put his side further ahead in the 18th minute when a Zinedine Zidane pass left him clear on the left side of the box. But the forward blasted the ball past the right-hand post.

TOO DEEP

The Czechs tried to play most of their football from too deep and, upset by the French pressing, they kept losing the ball before they got within striking distance although Poborsky was very busy in midfield and a constant danger.

In the 35th minute the Euro 96 finalists got some luck when captain Didier Deschamps brought down Czech midfielder Pavel Nedved. The initial contact appeared to be outside the area but Poborsky had no problem making sure from the spot.

Before the penalty, the Czechs had had few real chances apart from a Nedved shot in the second minute :D which French 'keeper Fabien Barthez could only punch away.

But after the goal they lifted their game. Poborsky went close just before the break and at the start of the second half, Nedved forced Barthez to make another good save. :D

But Djorkaeff's goal was a killer blow. ..."

So the Czechs are out, and Nedved became the first Lazio player to say bye bye to Euro 2000. That's terrible :( especially with his being the best Lazio player on the pitch in Euro 2000 so far.

Nedved carried an injury into this match (no surprise, that! I knew those knocks in the previous match were just too much), and he couldn't repeat the performance he displayed against Holland. But he and Nemec did well to cover the midfield and the French mostly managed their attacks from the wing. And again, chances to score, nice free kicks, and of course not to forget the penalty...But the effect from the injury was really evident :(

This has been the biggest blow to me in Euro 2000, although on the whole almost everything in the tournament has gone wrong for me. :( I feel totally miserable and it will take some time to recover from this heartbreak...

-- Nedved! in mourning :( :( :( --

·
International
6,519 Posts
Nedved!, i am very sorry for you, i knew Nedved was your favourite player (how the hell did I know that :cool:

I must tell you that i know how you feel right now, i felt exactly the same when Miha got sent off. He want play maybe the last game for Yugoslavia on EURO 2000 :mad:

But, hey ! Nedved is staying at Lazio so you will see him neyt year again :)

But you are very lucky. No one in Lazio hates Nedved, as a matter of fact no one on the world dont hate him !
But i cant say the same about Mihajlovic :( I really hate people saying things about him. Even my mum hates him :mad:

He is allready old and his free kicks aren't the same anymore. He will probably play for another year, maybe two and than - ciao MIHA :(:(

enjoy Nedved! !

[Edited by sslazio11 on 16-06-2000 at 23:26]

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the condolences :)
Euro 2000 still continues to be nightmarish for me, it seems like almost all the teams I'd like to qualify to the qf will be the ones to get eliminated! :(

Strange thing Yugo, do they really have the knack for playing with 10 men? :confused: First Miha, and now Kezman - even more sensational, after only 40 seconds on the pitch! Is that a new record or what? :p

Nedved is still with Lazio - at least for the next season, after that it's still not guaranteed :( so it's some consolation.

Another tone, though, no more Nedved in Euro 2000 but we'll still see more of Figo and Conceicao (although he's been only a sub so far), Nesta (duh!), and possibly Miha and Deki... :)

-- Nedved! in mourning :( :( :( --

·
International
6,519 Posts
Yes, true indeed, Nedved! :cool:

FORZA PAVEL NEDVED, 18 !

R

·
0 Posts
I'm sorry for you nedved.
I have to admit that the Czechs played better then the Dutch and the French, but they didnt have any luck. Espacially against Holland. To win the cup you need a lot of luck and the Czechs didnt have it, but Holland has.

PS I am Dutch.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, congrats Dutch for topping the group!

And at least the Czechs bow out with dignity...with their 2-0 win over Denmark. Nedved contributed to the Czechs' first goal, and at the end of the tournament for the Czechs, Nedved IS one of their better players :D

A team that end up winning a tournament usually has luck going for them; they still manage to win even when playing badly. Without luck it's almost impossible to lift the trophy. The Czechs wouldn't get to Euro 96 final without elements of luck! :p

Well, we still have Couto (just like Nedved, also voted as Man of the Match :) ), Conceicao (hat-trick), Nesta (reliable and solid), Negro, Miha and Deki, all in the qf. So it's still quite good for Lazio...

-- Nedved! in mourning :( --

·
International
6,519 Posts
Heh , good that you cheered up Nedved !

Good to have you back in shape again, you better change your signature to somethin that will help other lazio players on Euro 2000 ;)

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've cheered up considerably! There were 3 sad faces and now there's just one left in my signature!
Actually, I didn't want to change that one sad face still b'coz of the rumors of Nedved's moving to ManU :mad: became more and more likely to be true...
But I still continue supporting Lazio players in Euro 2000! So I'll just add another line I guess... :)

P.S. Actually just recently, when I thought my mourning would soon be over, I received the news of the tragic death of my fave player, Dubovsky. So in fact I'm back to mourning now :(

-- Nedved! in mourning :( --
All the best to ALL Lazio players in Euro 2000! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts