Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
19,256 Posts
I'm now aware that many clubs before Chelsea were propped up by sugar daddies, but Chelsea was the first new one in the time that I started watching football. So I associated Chelsea with the ruin of football competition for about a decade before Man City took that mantle over, and now I, probably like a lot of people, forget that Chelsea and Man City were just mid-table clubs before.

·
Registered
35,988 Posts
I preferred the sugar daddy funded Chelsea to the "corporate" Real Madrid and Man United, who relied on prawn sandwich fans and marketing gimmicks like the Galacticos.

These days, I don't really care about either.

·
THE
15,351 Posts
I'm now aware that many clubs before Chelsea were propped up by sugar daddies, but Chelsea was the first new one in the time that I started watching football. So I associated Chelsea with the ruin of football competition for about a decade before Man City took that mantle over, and now I, probably like a lot of people, forget that Chelsea and Man City were just mid-table clubs before.
Agnellis and Juve? Berlosconi and Milan?
Every corp owning a club is a suggardaddy.

·
Registered
35,988 Posts
Agnelli and Berlusconi made a certain sense in an Italian context, a sort of continuation of the Roman clientela system, or bread and circuses, cf. Juvenal. Juventus was synonymous with the FIAT family and later Berlusconi came along as the nouveau riche wanting to upstage the Agnellis

·
Administrator
53,906 Posts
All sponsors backing out now of Chelsea. 😁

UK government put them up on Ebay:

Just seen the ad.

"London based football club comes with over 1 billion worth of talent including household names such as lukaku and Havertz. Used but like new. Still in decent condition but with some damages including Timo werner on the side, and having to put up with Petr Cech wearing head gear in the exuctive offices .

Guaranteed 3 day delivery special post to Saudi businessmen (note: we will not reimburse you if the yanks force us to sanction you in the future, hint hint, pick up the damn phone when grandpa Biden calls)."

·
Registered
80,615 Posts

This vid says it all about all this, said 10 years ago.
Exellent post.

I'm a little closer to the fire regarding this. In the late 90s early 2000s these wealthy Russian/Ukranians...many whom obtained Russia's priceless national resourse and Russian mafia running certain buiness that Russian leaders wanted a taste. Yeltsin wasn't up to the job. So it came to the head of the KGB/FSB. He had the skills to keep these players in check.

It really went no further than 'duties' for the Oliguys. Making sure factories/buisness remained open. Political support. Using their names to influence support for Putin. Early on one didn't play ball and Russia (Putin) stripped him of his assets and put him in jail over tax avasion. He was of course set up as many of his opponents are.

At the same time Russian mob was (still is) worth Billions. Putin made agreement with them. About 10-15 years later Putin had the boss arrested over a disagreement. It was shown live on TV to show everyone who is the 'real' boss. Funny story, the boss was on the 10 most wanted FBI list. FBI had to remove him from the list. They knew exactly where he was but couldn't do a thing as he was protected by Putin. We're talking 100s of millions paid to Putin in return for protection. He steps out of line and Putin pulls the tax evasion trick again. However...they came to an agreement and the mob boss walks the streets still today.

Roman needed two things...put his money into a foreign institution and raise his profile.

The oligarch and arrested mobster made no headlines across the world. Plus Putin controls the Russian media. If Putin had beef with Roman the same would happen. It wouldn't get a mention in the Russian press nor international. Roman would rot in a gulag. However, since buying Chelsea, his money is fully transparent in UK banks and the UK would be involved in any tax evasion investigation.

Roman's second objective is a complete success. He is now known and even loved throughout the world! Putin arrests Roman and the world's press won't stop hounding Putin. Heat will always be on the Kremlin!

Roman bought the best insurance policy money can buy! Very clever if you think about it.

However, I do believe he is a football fan. But I doubt he would have bought Chelsea without 'interference'. Also he tried to buy Man Utd first.

I knew one day the 'chickens would could home'. Didn't think it would take this long or how it's happened. Roman will be alright. Chelsea... who knows. That's what happens when you except dodgy money into your club.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We all know in the end everything will be fine at Chelsea, I think we are getting a bit ahead of ourselves.

I could be totally wrong it course :) I just think we should wait to see developments! I can see Chelsea being sold off in the summer and continued success happening.

I also think the city of London should be thankful for everything Abramovic bought in tourism amongst other things.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts