Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> soccerage.com
Flamengo Close In On Athirson Capture

The Brazilian has failed to settle in Turin (Allsport)
01/23/2002. Flamengo are apparently close to agreeing a deal to take Juventus wing-back Athirson back to his homeland.

According to reports in Brazil he could be wearing the red and black shirt after the second leg of their Mercosur Cup final with San Lorenzo on January 24.

The 25-year-old played for Flamengo between 1996 and 2000, when he moved to Turin.

Since his arrival he's made just five Serie A appearances and has failed to dislodge the likes of Gianluca Pessotto from the left wing-back position.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'm happy for him, it wasn't rigth what Juve did to him, he is a great player, you will see

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
I have alot of sympathy for him, he was never really given a chance. Good luck to him in the future.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
I wish we sell him, cuz he deserves to play.

When he joined our squad I thought that we have finally a great future talent, who will make great crosses just like R. Carlos.
But this transfer turned out to be a big joke. Tasteless and not that funny.

Pfu, I hope that he will prove our board, that he could be very very good performer.

Bye Bye.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Juve and Flamengo played a dirty trick on Athirson...
When he arrived in Turin he was presented as the new Roberto Carlos. He wasted one year of his career due to misunderstandings and I feel embarassed for him ! I wish him all the best in Brazil and hope he can prove us wrong I really do...

:)

PS - He seemed to have problems with the weather in Turin anyway...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Im so glad this is finally sorted and athirson has at last been given his career back.

Though I am very dissapointed with the way our club played dirty tricks over the course of this affair, my biggest dissapointment is that he was a damn fine player that if dealt with properly I have no doubt would have now been in our starting line up, in the one position we really need someone.
Not solely having to rely on the very average(imo) pessotto with no backup.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Agree with you Paul !
Athirson seemed to have everything it takes to be successful in that leftback position and the way our management have dealt this issue is a shame.
Maybe we've let something big slip out of our hands...

As for the Pessotto thing it's not IMO but in everyone's opinion I think. :)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
We did wrong not letting him to play.
I remember us- Juve fans wanting him to join Juve so much. It's really ridiculous that we waited for him so long and we didn't manage to see him..just great...
GOod Luck Athirson.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Enzinho said:
I think he didn't play at all because of some legal issues but im not 100% sure!
Yeah there was an argument between Juve, Flamengo and FIFA on the details of his transfer...
Btw - As far as I remember he did play for us somethinglike 2 or 3 matches last season (he was a sub every time I think)
:)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Juve should have handled this better putting more pressure on Uefa or Flamenco to sort it out.

He should have either played or returned to Brasil much earlier.

Yes, he did play a little in a couple of games last season. I didn't have the opportunity to see him though. I guess he would have performed much better this year having time to adapt to the Italian stylee and all.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Guys I agree with all of u about the Athirson thing but I dont think that it is Juves fault.

By the way he is just loaned to Flamengo for 18 month.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
To bad for Athirson because he was rated the next best thing after Roberto Carlos and he couldnt even crack a full match at Juventus,it's the same as Pacheco at Inter 18months and 2 games coming on as a sub:(.

I hope Athirson gets a better run with Flamengo:).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts