Xtratime Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alan Shearer will never play again for England.

The Newcastle striker, 29, today reiterated his wish to retire from international football despite the disappointment of being dumped out of Euro 2000 by Romania.

He said: "I've made my decision and I will stick by it. I have done it for the right reasons.

"I have no regrets. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as an England player and as England captain.

"I never dreamt it would end so empty as it did last night but it has and that is disappointing but life has to go on.

"I am very proud about what I have achieved with England but we have not been successful because we have not won anything.

"It was the greatest time of my career being England captain and it wasn't an easy decision but I've made it for the right reasons and hopefully I'll benefit and so will Newcastle.

"I wish to spend more time with my family and I want to stay the best for as long as I am playing and to enable me to do that I need to rest."

Meanwhile Kevin Keegan today admitted that he "had not set the world on fire" as England coach but that would not stop him from leading the team through the qualification for the 2002 World Cup.

He said: "I think we have started something here it has not gone the way we wanted I came in the middle of a campaign.

"I wouldn't say I have set the world on fire with my management skills so far at England level but I will still get the opportunity to do that in a world cup and that's what I will focus on.

"I have learnt some things on this tournament and it would be sad if I hadn't. You never stop learning in this game and I am looking forward to the future.

"I am not in anyway fazed by it. I'm disappointed but I will bounce back. I've done it before and I will do it again."

Keegan leapt to the defence of his players despite their stuttering displays through the qualifying and the finals of Euro 2000.

He said: "The last thing I will do is stand up and say anything detrimental about the players.

"I picked what I believed was the best 22 players available to me and those players have done everything in terms of effort, commitment and spirit.

"I'm sure we will all look back and say we could have done better but I will still continue to make sure that England caps have a value.

"I won't be giving them to kids just because their birth certificates says they are the future.

"There are a lot of key players here who will be around for the France and Germany friendlies and hopefully in Korea and Japan for the 2002 World Cup."

He shouldv'e made WC 2002 his last major tournament, but he now probably fears even more that then too should England qualify, it will be another early exit.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Yes I think it is only fair to say thanks to Mr Shearer for his service to the nation.
He may not have been very popular recently, but his goal record at international level speaks for itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sol Campbell has made a plea to former England captain Alan Shearer to reconsider his decision to retire from international football.

It was the first such call from an England team-mate after Shearer insisted he wanted to carry on for another five seasons at Newcastle.

Having seen his former captain hang up his international boots after England crashed out of Euro 2000, Campbell would be delighted to see Shearer appear in the friendly against France and the World Cup qualifier with Germany.

Campbell said: "He is saying he is retired. But I think he could still come back. I'm sure if push came to shove and he was needed he'd be back in an England shirt."

Remain optimistic Sol!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I think Shearer was a great forward, but it will be a disaster for England if he reconsiders retirement. It is not his fault that he is not as sharp or as fast anymore.

In fact even before the Euro 2000 several defenders stated that he was much easier to cope with than he used to. What else do you need to consider? Yes he can score occasional goals, but that is not enough for national team anymore.

I hope that people just let Shearer retire with gratitude for his services and spare him further embarrassment at the international level.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
It's hard to believe there are still some people left who want Shearer (once a great striker) reconsider his retirement even after Euro-2000 when it became obvious (at least for everybody I know personally ) that his stepping down from the top level came at least 2 weeks late. IMO it should've happened 2 years ago after he gave his last best for his country against Argentina. He has been consistently useless since then. Actually he never was the same Shearer of old after that injury he sustained in '97.
I respect loyalty, but doesn't bother you the fact that every defender knowing that he will be playing against Shearer feels a relief?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts