Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read this book, which has given me a heightened appreciation for RM (for its history of play, especially in the '50s and for the team's current business plan. I cannot disrepect RM.

Before reading the book, I liked RM's players - how could I not? But I dismissed the team as one I could not REALLY root for - similar to the NY Yankees here in the US (who's players I also always like) - because RM and the Yankees simply have too much money.

Does anyone who has read the book have any comments to expand on or condradict any of the book's topics? I would like other opinions.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
I have it, and I'm on page 214.

I'll give a review when I'm done.

It's breathtaking so far.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Beckham, RM and the Hew Football- The part indicated in bold was enough to not make me buy this book. Not that I have anything against the guy, he's playing no worse than Raul right now, but it kinda said something about the motives if you like, behind the book.

·
Registered
611 Posts
sounds pretty interesting, i just saw it while browsing amazon.com

I just bought Phil Ball's White Storm, so maybe i will check this one out as well

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
John Carlin is my fav. writer. I ordered that book at Amazon. Meanwhile im still over "El Macca - 4 years with Real Madrid", a book that i can only suggest to read. Absolutely amazing!!!

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
Beckham :howler: , RM & The New Football.

I bet the author is drooling when he thinks about the asia market. Do they have a chinese version yet. :thmbup:

·
20,440 Posts
CMBurns--> Have you read it yet?

the question was: Does anyone who has read the book have any comments to expand on or condradict any of the book's topics? I would like other opinions.

So what? Its like critisizing a film or a game what you havnt even watched. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,043 Posts
LaBlanca said:
CMBurns--> Have you read it yet?

the question was: Does anyone who has read the book have any comments to expand on or condradict any of the book's topics? I would like other opinions.

So what? Its like critisizing a film or a game what you havnt even watched. :rolleyes:
But the title is good enough to turn people off. Beckham :dielaugh: Like someone has already said, the intentions are quite clear. Asian market :greed: :greed:

·
20,440 Posts
CMBurns said:
But the title is good enough to turn people off. Beckham :dielaugh: Like someone has already said, the intentions are quite clear. Asian market :greed: :greed:
ok then read the book and tell us then if your rite. :nerd:

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I didn't read and I don't think that I'll read this book, but some days ago I've read an articles written in AS by John Carlin. He seems a convinced florentinista.

He talks about an articles that appeared in Financial Times. In this newspaper appeared an article that criticized Florentino Perez for the "supposed craziness of the Real Madrid president to make the club a multinational company based in marketing". FT articles wonder: "Why does Madrid want to earn so much money if they're not a limited company as Chelsea?". IMO, it's a stupid question, Real Madrid and Barcelona will always have more problems to earn money than the limited companies and we have to make great efforts if we want to stay on top.

But John Carlin destroys his own articles when he says: "Ronaldinho will win more matches than Beckham. But Beckham is more than a player, he's the esential key in the long term strategy of Real Madrid. What Beckham gives to Real Madrid is 10 times superior to what Ronaldinho gives to Barcelona... and he even scores a great goal from time to time. Sorry, Financial Times, but Florentino is not as crazy as he seems".

http://www.as.com/articulo.html?xref=20041202dasdaiopi_3&type=Tes&anchor=dasopiA00

This opinion says all what I can expect from John Carlin. Call me traditional or whatever, but Real Madrid's business is not marketing, but football. Anyone who says that having Beckham instead of Ronaldinho is a fool and John Carlin is a fool in this article. Maybe Beckham gives 10 times more money than Ronaldinho, but this is now. The most important are the victories, IMO... in Barcelona, in Madrid and everywhere. It's okay to do everything to earn as much as possible, but there are limits.

I do really think that Florentino has lost the view of the situation. When you hear him talk, he messures the success in terms of euros, not in titles. It's okay to sell shirts, but your product are not the shirts, but football and goals. He should not forget this. In any case, he has a great crew behind him that trust in his phylosophy, as John Carlin. It's okay, it's another way to see football, personally I would not like to see this in Barcelona.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for comments so far, especially Koeman4 for your depth. I read Spanish on the web well enough to follow game plans and results, but I lose language subtlties when I read opinion articles on Marca and AS.

·
Administrator
53,114 Posts
Its pretty tiring wen it comes to these books.That are all made by englishmen,they cane be good,but they lose alot wen they more or less focus on Beckham.They write about Real Madrid as the icon it is(focusing too much in economics) but then falls back on writing about becks yet again.It becomes appalling after a while.read 2 of them(couldnt bare to finish the others),Liked the Macca one,it was a personal one but a very nice book,too gently,just hits the surface.How do you intend to write a book fairly about a player an put a fair critique on him wen he is co-writing the book with you? The female author,like the others,fell in the trap of gloryfying Beckham like the others have,The was fairly until then,but she just had to ruin it in the end.But I liked the part with Macca,how describes the atmosphere,were he says its obvious there are a set of players who plays no matter what,even if half injured,another set up players who just sits on the bench even if they should play,atleast sometimes.Talks about Perez,and how the club became like Disney,for example in the China trip.Were they focused more on PR-things then they did on training,and some players were really angry about that.

It can be a good read,but they dont have the wrong approach from the beginning,I like the sentiment in the Macca one.And John Carlin shouldnt write Football books wen he isnt even a football fan,he drools over the status and money of Real instead of its football.Btw I didnt buy it,and wouldnt have noticed them if a Journalist friend of mine didnt shown me them,he warned me before hand.And told be about the Becks stuff and the stuff K4 mentionned.Should have listened to his warning,but its a footie book,and I really like to read those,no matter the subject.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
Osman said:
Its pretty tiring wen it comes to these books.That are all made by englishmen,they cane be good,but they lose alot wen they more or less focus on Beckham.They write about Real Madrid as the icon it is(focusing too much in economics) but then falls back on writing about becks yet again.It becomes appalling after a while.read 2 of them(couldnt bare to finish the others),Liked the Macca one,it was a personal one but a very nice book,too gently,just hits the surface.How do you intend to write a book fairly about a player an put a fair critique on him wen he is co-writing the book with you? The female author,like the others,fell in the trap of gloryfying Beckham like the others have,The was fairly until then,but she just had to ruin it in the end.But I liked the part with Macca,how describes the atmosphere,were he says its obvious there are a set of players who plays no matter what,even if half injured,another set up players who just sits on the bench even if they should play,atleast sometimes.Talks about Perez,and how the club became like Disney,for example in the China trip.Were they focused more on PR-things then they did on training,and some players were really angry about that.
I disagree entirely.

John Carlin has eloquently described David Beckham's football techniques to a tee. Beckham is like any other admirer of the game in terms of being in awe of the Galacticos, and he is fully aware that he is not as technically blessed as the rest of them. He makes up for this with a 100% work ethic and a full dedication on the pitch. People can gossip about him all they want, but his teammates have loved him and say he is all business when he's at the soccer stadium.

The book also gives a great background on Real Madrid's up-bringing, and has chapters on several different players. For instance, one chapter entitled The Bullet Man and El Superclasico, is about Roberto Carlos. Another chapter called Medallin in Marseille is about Zidane, and another chapter called The First Galactico is all about Figo.

Fantastic book, I would reccommend it to people who can not be short-sighted and enjoy the content of the book aside from Beckham.

·
Merengue Argentino
2,078 Posts
I want to get a book for Christmas for my dad.

Which one do you recommend?

this one or The White Storm ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't read White Storm.

I recommend White Angels as for quick, light reading. I has detailed discussions of the skills-set differences among RM's star (and some medium level) players, which I appreaciated since I have seen very few live games in the last few years.

·
20,440 Posts
Rusi > only read White Storm so far. Cant decide. Im just reading Maccas book and its just GREAT. Recommend it to everyone. :)

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
RUSI said:
I want to get a book for Christmas for my dad.

Which one do you recommend?

this one or The White Storm ?

Thanks in advance
Admit it, you just one an excuse to buy the book for yourself. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts