Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frankfurt at home.
Post Milan depression?

I want them to smack five past Frankfurt to take out the frustrations of Milan in midweek. :depress: :undecide:

As it happens though, im lucky if we win by a 87th minute Ballack goal...

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
As it happens though, im lucky if we win by a 87th minute Ballack goal...
FC Bayern will win this match.

I hope we win with a smashing 5 - 0, with maybe a hattrick of Roy Makaay, an d one of Claudio Pizarro and a 87 minute goal of Michael Ballack. ;)

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
A big win is needed, especially to increase the momentum ahead of the next Champions League game. "Slipping by" isn't going to cut it.

·
Super
4,283 Posts
They have to win this match. I mean 8 point lead isn't big at all. The only way to increase that gap is by beating both Hamburg and Bremen when they play them head to head in the near future. Then again, if they lose these head to head matches, then it will be a very close race. So in the meantime, they have to win other matches in order to hold their ground.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Bundesliga: Bayern hope to arrest slide

FRANKFURT, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Bayern Munich need a show of authority when they host Eintracht Frankfurt on Saturday after uncharacteristic displays of fallibility in the last week.

Bayern are well set for a successful defence of their Bundesliga title, with an eight point lead over Hamburg SV in second spot and a nine-point advantage over Werder Bremen.

But they know they were lucky to escape with a 1-1 draw away to Hanover 96 in their last league outing, and the club's perfect home record was finally broken on Tuesday night when AC Milan came back to claim a 1-1 draw in the Champions League.

'After the two draws, getting the three points against Frankfurt is an obligation,' coach Felix Magath told Kicker.

It would be a big surprise if they fail to make it 11 wins from 11 home league games on Saturday.

Frankfurt have lost their last two matches, slipping down to 11th place in the process, 30 points behind Bayern.

Magath is likely to make changes after Wednesday's tough game against Milan, with Sebastian Deisler and Bastian Schweinsteiger hoping for chances in midfield.

Goalkeeper Oliver Kahn is back in training and could be fit to return after injuring his thigh in the Hanover game. Michael Rensing, who was note perfect in Kahn's place on Tuesday, is on standby.

Bremen had a more enjoyable night against Italian opposition in the Champions League this week, sealing a 3-2 win at home to Juventus after a furious fightback on Wednesday.

Thomas Schaaf's side are at home to Borussia Moenchengladbach on Sunday and nothing less than victory will do if they are stay in with a faint chance of the title.

Schaaf should be able to name Miroslav Klose for his first league game of the year after the Germany striker, back after a shoulder injury, came through the Juventus game unscathed.

A win would vault them into second place for at least one night, with Hamburg not in action until Sunday at home to VfB Stuttgart.

Hamburg fans will be expecting to see Rafael van der Vaart play some part in the game, after he came on for the final 20 minutes of Thursday's UEFA Cup victory over Thun.

The Dutchman, who was the outstanding midfielder in Germany over the first half of the season, has been out since injuring his foot in early December.

Stuttgart bowed out of the UEFA Cup on Thursday, despite a 1-0 win away at Middlesbrough. The English side went through on the away goals rule after winning 2-1 in Stuttgart last week.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Good to see Magath taking this seriously. I agree that a win is an obligation. As for the goalkeeper situation, I'd actually be fine with Kahn sitting this one out and having more time to recover, considering the job Rensing did against Milan.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it ended 5-2 to Bayern

Goals: 1-0 Guerrero (21), 1-1 Preuß (32.), 2-1 Ballack (33), 3-1 Guerrero (42), 4-1 Ballack (62), 4-2 Meier (84), 5-2 Pizarro (85)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is as good a result as we could expect in the lead up to the match. I wasnt home but outside attending to some social commitments.

The thing that irks me is that two goals were conceeded against Frankfurt :(

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
I thought the score was a very pleasant surprise, even with the two goals conceded, but I think a five-goal thriller is exactly what we needed. I hope Guerrero will play a bit more of a role against Milan...

·
First Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
42,192 Posts
balla_basti said:
did u watch the game andor?
no it wasnt broadcasted live here and i forgot the highlights. Will have to wait till tuesday till the highlights from hungarian tv are online. Ill post the link here then like always :flirt:

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks.

@ Tim: yeah. im very pleased at the five goal result. But im taking a leaf out of Diav's book and playing the pessimist until the Milan match is done and dusted. :undecide:

So two goals conceeded set off alarm bells in my head. ;)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I think FC Bayern played a good match.

I think Magath's choice of leaving on the bench Roy Makaay, was a boost for José Paolo Guerrero.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well i did watch the highlights José Paolo Guerrero was quite impressive with his finishing and also he was very lively throughout the game.His assist for ballack's 1 goal was very impressive

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ballack's first goal was very impressive as well. The way he took the pass on and cut back to lose the two defenders and then slammed it left footed giving the keeper no chance.

Classic forwards finish.

With all due respect to JPG's goals though, i think that if Maakay had been presented with the same opportunities he would have taken it with aplomb as well.

But its good to see Magath finally setting a no nonsense approach. If u dont score then u arent in the team.

·
Registered
97 Posts
balla i agree if makaay was in jpg's place he would have also scored 2 goals.And makaay was rested according to the bayern site.I think it is a good move by magath to give the youngster a chance and also rest makaay before the hamburg and milan matches.

·
Super
4,283 Posts
if he was in his place and then he would have scored two goals too...blah, blah, blah. It's all freaking nonsense. The fact is that he wasn't in his shoes. If Makaay wants to get his goals, then score on his own when he is on the pitch.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts