Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite team, Real Madrid, is in bad need of quality defenders (8 goals received against Bayern!). I was hoping you know of any "next Thuram" or "Next Stam" type of defenders terrorizing the Bundesliga.

I'm particularly interested in Zivkovic and Vranjes of Leverkusen and Bayern's Kuffour amd Johansson.

Please post if you know information (nationality, age, price, strenghts, weaknesses) about these 4 or any other quality defender.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't think that there are any defenders in the Bundesliga, that can compete with guys like Thuram, Stam or Nesta. But I think we have better defenders than Real Madrid has in Ivan Campo, or Fernando Hierro (he was awful in the recent games).
In my opinion, the best (younger) Bundesliga defenders are:

+ Jens Nowotny (26/Bayer Leverkusen/Germany)
He is probably the best defender in the league, he is defensively reliable and also has offensive skills (he played Libero for Leverkusen in the recent years).
Last summer, there was the rumour that Leverkusen had rejected a 30 million DM (15 million $) offer from Milan for Nowotny.

+ Robert Kovac (25/Bayer Leverkusen/Croatia)
The guy who replaced Christian Wörns when he signed for PSG in 1998. Croatian international (but he is German born, he grew up in Berlin), great in defense, but has not the offensive qualities like Nowotny has. But if you seek somebody to eliminate the top opposing striker he will be the man for you.

+ Christian Wörns (27/Dortmund/Germany)
His best years were in 1998 and 1999, when playing for Germany at the World cup in France. Since playing for Dortmund he lost a little bit of his great form, but Wörns is still one of the best Bundesliga defenders. Dortmund paid 12.5 million DM (6.25 million $) for Wörns in the summer, when signing him from Paris St. Germain.

+ Samy Kuffour (23/FC Bayern München/Ghana)
Great young defender, he played for Ghana in the African nations cup. Great talent, physically strong, but he has one great problem: He is a bit clumsy when tackling opposing players, so he received some red cards (four in the last four years). Italian football magazin Calcio 2000 estimated his transfer fee at 13 million Lire (6.5 million $).

+ Patrik Andersson (28/Bayern München/Sweden)
I think, this is the guy you called Johansson. Great defender, always had the best duel-winning percentage in the Bundesliga in the recent years (last year's 69.9% was the best number in the Bundesliga in the 90s!!). He played more than 70 times for Sweden, FC Bayern signed him from Mönchengladbach in summer (transfer fee: 6 million DM / 3 million $).

+ Marko Rehmer (27/Hertha BSC Berlin/Germany)
Defensively solid but not really sensational, very speedy, sometimes used on the right side by Hertha coach Jürgen Röber. Hertha paid 7 million DM (3.5 million $) to Hansa Rostock for Rehmer.

+ Frank Baumann (24/Werder Bremen/Germany)
The shooting-star, last season with Nürnberg was his first in the Bundesliga, in the summer, he signed for SV Werder Bremen (free transfer). This season, he made his debut for Erich Ribbeck's national team. A player like Jens Nowotny, but it will still take some time, till he has Nowotny's class. My opinion: great prospect, but Real is still to big for him.

FC Bayern's Markus Babbel (27) is also a good one, but he just signed for Liverpool FC.

Boris Zivkovic (24/Leverkusen/Croatia) is just backup defender at the moment, and cannot compete with the class of Nowotny and Kovac.

Vranjes just signed during the winter break for Leverkusen, but he did not play a single game in the Bundesliga. So I can tell you nothing about him - you better ask at the Croatian forum. (is there one?)

[This message has been edited by Funari (edited 21-03-2000).]

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Funari!

You must be wondering why I was interested in Zivkovic, Vranjes, Johansson and Kuffour.

Well, I heard of Vranjes and Johannson from
http://www.footballtransfers.co.uk

They have a "Youth" section there that gives descriptions of very young players who'll probably make it big someday. Vranjes and Johansson get rave reviews from that site, which before now is my only source of information about prodigies from leagues other than Serie A and La Liga.

Zivkovic, well there were actually some rumours about Real Madrid gatting him on a Bosman but I also heard news he just signed a new contract.

Kuffour, well he really impressed me for the most part of last year's Champion's League final. He, along with Kahn, were great until that fatal final minute. And, that image of Kuffour pounding the ground after United's second goal really showed a lot about his passion for the game.

Well there. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
nice bit of info on Sammy. I will always remember him like that....hearbreaking scene:)

as for the defenders in the Bundesliga...who are the best ones now? nearly 6 years on?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think Bayern defence is still very strong: Lucio, Ismael, Sagnol are all great players. If we talk about German players it seems that Mertesacker is one of the most interesting and young ones, as well as Owomoyela. Let's wait for Lahm comeback too, but I think Germany needs some very good central defensive player.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Left backs:
Marcel Jansen (Gladbach)
- now he plays more offensive,
but he has proven, thathe´s a good choice for the NT

Phillip Lahm (Munich)
- world-class before his hard injuries,
he has to fight now with Jansen for the starting spot in Klinsis team.

Dede (Borussia Dortmund)
- very solid left-back with fighting spirit and good technical skill,
shame, that he´s injured now, Dortmund had to suffer the last matches.

Atouba (Hamburg)
- In the EPL he was known as a risk factor, but he does a superb job for Hamburg this season.

Central backs:
Daniel van Buyten (Hamburg)
- Captain of Hamburger SV and a class defender
Solid in defense, hard, but mostly fair, tacklings, good headers,
motivates his whole team

Lucio (Bayern)
- defense boss of the Brazilian NT, solid in defense,
dangerous in attacking

Per Mertesacker (Hannover)
- Newcomer in last season, now defense boss of the NT

Christoph Metzelder (Dortmund)
- injuries threw him back the last years, but now he´s back
His performance were ok, but nothing special

Right backs:
Arne Friedrich (Hertha BSC)
- captain of Hertha Berlin, good in defense and with some offense actions

Willy Sagnol (Bayern)
- solid right back with good technical abilities

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
No offence but Krstajic is better than most of the players on your list and he's pretty versatile as well.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
KrLe said:
No offence but Krstajic is better than most of the players on your list and he's pretty versatile as well.
In the actual season, he isn't as good as in the past 2-3 years.

On the right back position, Mehdi Mahdavikia has to be mentioned. He started into the season as our No. 5 or 6 player in the midfield and was later transferred to the right back position.
He is doing a fantastic job there and he is the prototype of a modern right back : good in defending, positioning and marking, technically skilled, good acceleration and pace, good crosser and dribbler and equipped with an iron lung. He scored 4 goals and 2 assists so far.

·
fawkin legend
4,943 Posts
balla_basti said:
as for the defenders in the Bundesliga...who are the best ones now? nearly 6 years on?
The best two are Brazilian :)

... but forget about Roque Junior :thmbdown:

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Starcraft said:
Jens Nowotny when he is healthy
yeah 5-6 years ago!:D

Krtajic isnt world class but he is good.

Center: Lucio-Van Buyten-Ismael-Mertesacker -Metzelder are the best

Right: Sagnol is on a class of his own ,then comes whoever u want :D

Left: Atouba is doing great. Jansen is a great talent. Liza doing great for his age!

Lahm: we need to wait
Dede and Arne Friedrich,inconsistent,one game top one game bottom

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
There are no world class defenders playing in the Bundesliga.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
The Champ said:
There are no world class defenders playing in the Bundesliga.
But Lahm has the potential, and Lucio should also be considered as a world class defender. Guys like Mahdavikia, Van buyten and Mertesacker are all a bit overrated by the german public and press. I do not think they would have been so great in other leagues IMO. Van Buyten did not play that great for Man City in England when he was there, but he was very good in France. And Atouba failed in Tottenham as previously mentioned. Jansen has potential aswell.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
For me Sagnol is the best right defender in the world so he's gotta be world class!

Lucio this season is also impressive!

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Starcraft said:
But Lahm has the potential, and Lucio should also be considered as a world class defender. Guys like Mahdavikia, Van buyten and Mertesacker are all a bit overrated by the german public and press. I do not think they would have been so great in other leagues IMO. Van Buyten did not play that great for Man City in England when he was there, but he was very good in France. And Atouba failed in Tottenham as previously mentioned. Jansen has potential aswell.
Mate, how can you say that van Buyten did not play that great in England ? He played just 5 matches in a ( at that time..) crappy team before an injury put an end to his career in the EPL - i don't think that 5 games in a team in crisis are a good measurement for his abilities. I'm pretty sure that van Buyten would do very well in England nowadays.
Mertesacker was hyped alot as all the young german NT players. But he is just 21 (!) - this is not an age where you can expect a defender to be without any errors. This guy has a lot potential, he may be world class in 4 or 5 years. First he must join a decent team though.
Atouba failed in Tottenham because the coach had no faith in him. This happened to other great players as well ( best example is probably Henry at Juve..). Atouba is not world class but he is great and he is one of the players you like to pay for just to watch him. And since he is only 23, there is a lot of room for improvement as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts