Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Keep this squad with only fringe players going out or coming in

Votes: 17 65.4%
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK this is a question I put out because Im not sure what we should do myself.

We have many players that are wanted by big clubs. We have Totti, Cassano, Mancini, Chivu, De Rossi and Dacourt that we could sell for loads of money.

Well my question is, should we sell a few (not all) of them players to gain big money and then use that money to build a stronger squad of very good players (ala Palermo/Udinese) or should we try to keep all of our stars and use the little money we have and transfer nous to get in one or two cheap players to only add to the squad.

To me its a tough decision because I wouldnt mind route A which means selling Cassano, Mancini, Dacourt and possibly Chivu and then buying half a dozen or more Langella's, Parisi's etc.

but at the same time just 2 years ago we finished 8th and with virtually the same squad the next year we finished 2nd. Its possible that if we can do what we did 2 years ago and find a Mancini from somewhere then next year we will be a top team again as on paper with Chivu added our team is not so weak.

I will not vote in the poll until I am sure.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You guys should sell Totti.
It'll get you a large cash injection which you need due to your financial situation and will free up funds that you can use to improve the squad in many positions.

On top of that you won't be tied tactically since you're limited to a tridente with Totti.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its either Totti or Cassano, as both limit us is some ways. I personally prefer Totti as a footballer but we will see.

·
Registered
533 Posts
But if you sell Totti, Cassano will probably demand to get transferred and vice versa.

I say get rid of both and get someone like Tevez + 3-4 other players. You'd be saving money on either ones contract.

However I understand that Totti is a symbol for Roma and he's the last one you want to leave. But he'll never be like Giannini IMO.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tevez would not move to us. Totti has threatened to leave alot but hopefully we can get his contract signed and he can stay at least 1 more year with us! Cassano I think is basically out this year but I could be wrong.

There are many talents out there and if we get the right money for a couple of player we can get some of them.

Still as I said we can just keep everyone and add Taddei + Bovo to the squad and we wouldnt have such a poor squad still.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Totti is a very important player and he would bring alot of cash to the club. I think he should be sold and not just because i want Inter to buy him :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
tough question. i voted for build around but it might just be sentimental.

the team has suffered from A LOT of instability at the start of the season, which hopefully won't be the case next year, also the young players in the squad will be more experienced, and so in theory could be expected to do better, even if no-one is added. on paper at least the team looks like it has potential.

on the other hand Roma may not have the means to replace quality like Totti, Cassano and Chivu, but we could improve the depth of the squad by selling a star or two which would be good. right now Roma benches are very inexperienced and we're always a couple of injuries/suspensions away from fielding a u'18 side.

maybe Mido can score a cartload of goals in England and become either
a) a valuable player on the transfer market for the club to cash in on, or
b)a valuable option for the squad to compensate for the departure of Cassano.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If Cassano leaves I would actually prefer a good left winger because then we can go back to either a 4-4-2 or play a 4-3-3 with width.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
maybe Langella then. apparently he's even a Roma fan.
we should maybe sell Mido if there are big offers. keep Dacourt though unless he earns too much. he's an important player and he won't sell for much anyway.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Good thread.

Personally, I think we should build around what we have. We already have a thin squad, very vulnerable to injuries and suspensions and it's enough of a task to add to the existing squad to make it competitive. Just thinking about selling the core of the team to re-build is...daunting at the very least.

With the exception of midfield and the goalkeeper, I think we have an excellent team. The defence looks good to me, on paper at least. Mexès only started to live up to his talent before his suspension and is defitenely good enough. Dellas is a great, Chivu goes without mentioning, he's an absolute star. Cufrè is our lion, and very versatile at that. Panucci isn't the best guy to have on a team, but when he actually plays in position he's not terrible and offers at least a decent alternative for when we want to play a four man defence. Ferrari is the one weak part of our defence as I see it - he might have the technical and tactical knowledge to be a good defender, but he clearly lacks the mentality to be a defender in a top team, or a team like Roma period, with all the pressure that builds up. I'm sure he can do very well for smaller teams, like he did at Parma, but he'll never be someone ASR can rely on.

The midfield is our weakest part of the outfield departments. I rate Dacourt the highest, and believe him to be vital for us as he is our only genuine ball winner, the only one who harasses the opposition's midfield and lets the tackles fly in no matter what. De Rossi has the potential to be very good, especially when he teams up with Dacourt, as he then can concentrate more on the offensive aspect of the game, instead of having to cover two roles in one as he had to when Dacourt was out.
Aquilani I still believe in, but not as starter. Perrotta I simply don't like, and I never did support the notion of signing him for 7 million. Mancini is a ghost of himself, and is irritating me no end whenever he plays nowadays. I wouldn't mind a sell of him to raise some money. That leaves at least a left winger to be brought in, and that's only if we keep Mancini. Hopefully Tommasi will provide a more sane option to Perrotta next season, so in central midfield I think we're more or less fine. Wouldn't mind Bonanni coming though, but that's hardly a big signing that would set us back.

The attack - assuming (however unlikely it is!) all three of them stays, we're set there as well. Bring back Mido from the loan, and we're set for the bench as well. Otherwise, we might have to look elsewhere, because I wouldn't trust Corvia for shit on the pitch. This is all highly unlikely though as I doubt Totti and Cassano will stay under current conditions.

And, of course, we need new goalkeepers. Sell Pelizzoli, sell Zotti, bring in Peruzzi on a free, possibly Hildebrand, preferably Frey or De Sanctis and we could be fine.

Add to that some useful bench players to give us option in case of suspensions. And most important, a new coach. That'd be my route.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Cacini's right, i forgot goalkeepers, it will be very hard to get a good one though, and we might have to be satisfied with Pelizzoli.
Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool might all be in the market for a quality keeper soon and maybe even Real Madrid, they'll all out-cash Roma for sure.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Nice thread, and nice post, Cacini. Chivu, Mexes, Cufre, Totti, Cassano, and Montella are all indispensable, that base is good enough to challenge for a Scudetto, no question. A left winger is essential, depth is essential(i'm talking four or five more players here), a new goalkeeper would be nice, if Mancini dosen't fix his game by the end of the season, a new right winger, or even two, would be nice...and a new coach would be just dandy;)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Personally, I think Dacourt is also essential. Very underated IMO and always seems to give his all.

I'd sell Perrotta and Ferrari and purchase a few new options. Maybe Dellas could go too, but we'd need a replacement for him also. We need more squad depth - which means at least 5 or six new players to add to what we already have.

A left-winger (Taddei), a central mid (Davids), a right-back (Cassetti), a striker (Baros) and another winger/forward (Langella). Also bring Bovo back from Parma.

IMO the goalkeepers we have are fine, I trust Peli, he is just low on confidence at the moment. Curci has also looked impressive when called upon.

That would leave:

GK: Pelizzoli, Zotti, Curci

DEF: Cassetti, Mexes, Chivu, Cufre, Panucci, Bovo, Scurto

MID: Davids, Dacourt, De Rossi, Aquilani, Mancini, Langella, Taddei, Tommasi

ATT: Totti, Cassano, Montella, Baros, Corvia

Now that's a squad! Plenty of depth, plenty of formations and tactical options and enough players to effectively compete in all competitions.

Bovo and Taddei would be free, Davids would certainly have lost some value over the past year and maybe we could give them someone like Perrotta in return (it's Inter remember :D ), and Cassetti and Langella certainly wouldn't be asking riches.

Onyl one who would command a decent size fee would be Baros. He is unhappy at Liverpool though.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Giallorosso_01 said:
Onyl one who would command a decent size fee would be Baros. He is unhappy at Liverpool though.
What exactly makes you think that Baros would leave Liverpool where he is second choice after Morientes to go to Roma where he is 4th choice after Totti, Cassano and Montella? :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
I think we can build this team with what we have. I agree totally with Cacini and Romafan53. I think we should build this team in the Milan mode using a (4-3-1-2) and playing attacking possession football. I was disgusted watching all the long balls to Montella in the loss to Palermo. There was nothing fluid to our play...we need to create a system that allows Roma to play well even without Totti on the pitch. I don't see why Cassano can't step into the playmaker role when Totti is out.

-----------------????????---------------

Panucci------Mexes------Chivu------Cufre'

----Dacourt------??????-----De Rossi----

------------------Totti-------------------

--------Montella-----------Cassano------

If we use that system next season, we need a quality keeper (De Sanctis) and a quality 2 way midfielder. But we also need depth on the bench to win championships.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Romanista10

That line up is most definetely as good as any other team's in serie A. As you and rf53 point out, what I think we need most of all is depth, more so than perhaps a new central midfielder. Right now, we have nothing worth putting in if we need to change a game around, that won't work in the long run. But with a few minor adjustments, this line up is certainly not worse than any other in the country, that is my firm belief.

And I agree about playing a more Milan-like type of football - without proper wingers, it's really the only valid thing to do. Unless we want to sign both a new leftie, AND back-ups for both right and left for a 40+ game season.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
Cacìni said:
Romanista10

That line up is most definetely as good as any other team's in serie A. As you and rf53 point out, what I think we need most of all is depth, more so than perhaps a new central midfielder. Right now, we have nothing worth putting in if we need to change a game around, that won't work in the long run. But with a few minor adjustments, this line up is certainly not worse than any other in the country, that is my firm belief.

And I agree about playing a more Milan-like type of football - without proper wingers, it's really the only valid thing to do. Unless we want to sign both a new leftie, AND back-ups for both right and left for a 40+ game season.
Depth is the key absolutely. Imagine if we had the money, we could keep that starting 11 and have the likes of Ferrari, Mancini, and Perrotta on the bench. But thats a pipe dream because we won't have the money to have a great bench until Sensi finds a way to sell this club to a very rich man. In order to keep the tridente together, Roma will have to sell too many players and then have a solid starting 11 with a bench full of kids....like we have now. :scared:

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
So basically i have to choose who to sell, and who to keep. And that's extremely hard! Under the assumption, and a corret one, that Totti and Montella will stick with us, either Cassano or Chivu will have to leave our club. And i really can't decide there. I leave that to our managament, 'cause they should know how to handle it.
But i choose the second option, i'd definetly try to keep everyone..

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I agree with Cacinis resume about the players, but only if we get rid of Del Neri. Not because I hate him or see him as a bad coach (because he really did good with Chievo), but because he only knows how to play his game as it seems (wingers and a big tall striker up front). It would be a nightmare if he starts to buy cheap lousy players just to fit his 4-4-2, names that have already been mentioned several times are Flo, Corradi amongst some, and you don´t win Scudettos with Flo in attack, especially when your wingers suck, and I don´t see us buying Nedved or Camoranesi anytime soon.

So get rid of Del Neri and take Prandelli back, based only on the reason that he has the knowledge to play a good 4-2-3-1 or 3-4-1-2, and that is what we got players fore. In my eyes our players are perfect for Prandellis playingstyle and should be able to challenge for a scudetto, but our players in a 4-4-2 a la Del Neri (Cappello managed with 4-4-2 but based on another football ideology) isn´t better then at highest a UEFA-cup (5-7) team.

And I really think we should wait with the bashing of Mancini, last year he was absolutly incredible. Maybe this year he´s affected by his father illness and is stressed because of Romas place in the league. I think we should give this kid a fare chance, also he´s one of the players that says he doesn´t want to leave at any coast, not even for Real Putas, something other players in our team could learn something from.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts