Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really, really respected him after that, personally I thought he was flawless and saved our asses, but what can you say, the score line is baffling.

Buffon apologises to fans
Monday 9 June, 2008
Gianluigi Buffon has apologised to all the Italy fans after what he dubbed “one of the worst performances in my Italy career.”

The Azzurri got off to a disastrous start at Euro 2008 by losing 3-0 to Holland and, although Coach Roberto Donadoni tried to minimise the extent of the problems, his goalkeeper did not agree.

“I hope we can use this as a starting point. It was one of the worst performances since I have been in the Nazionale and Holland legitimised their victory with a good game,” said the captain.

“I have spoken to all the players and we all agreed to apologise to the Italy fans. We honestly didn’t expect this to happen.”

There was controversy and anger in the first half when Ruud Van Nistelrooy opened the scoring in an offside position, but Buffon refused to look for excuses.

“It’s true Van Nistelrooy was offside, but we cannot clutch at straws during a game that was so obviously won by Holland.

“We can only apologise to the supporters for all that happened tonight and promise to do better against Romania and France.”

Holland had not beaten Italy in 30 years.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
The best way to apologize is to play well and take 3 points from Romania and perhaps France.
Spot on, Nyuka. The only thing the tifo want is two wins, that's the best way to apologize.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Still took him some courage to do that, and for that he deserves our respect because he knows we're hurting from this humiliation.

What a way to captain your side, though. You lead your side out and suffer the heaviest defeat in two decades.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I know many people have rid Buffon of any blame, and its understandable considering his loyalty and how great he has been over the years for us, but yesterday on the first two goals he could have done better.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Bounce back from what? I really thought he played well against Holland to be honest. The second goal was soft but it was an instintive shot and he DID have to cover his far post as well. It was just a well-executed shot. I cannot bear to lay blame on him for that. He did well on the third goal too - he blocked the one-on-one before the cross came in for the third goal didn't he?

·
Registered
46,358 Posts
No apologies needed. In spite of the world cup win, if they fail they will receive rotten tomatoes and eggs. Glory or pillory.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Bounce back from what? I really thought he played well against Holland to be honest. The second goal was soft but it was an instintive shot and he DID have to cover his far post as well. It was just a well-executed shot. I cannot bear to lay blame on him for that. He did well on the third goal too - he blocked the one-on-one before the cross came in for the third goal didn't he?
I totally agree. The second goal was Barzagli's fault. I couldn't understand why he got back and waited for the dangerous ball to be played through his position before attempting to get back to where he should have been.

If he had just run back two more metres, that goal wouldn't have happened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts