Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:depress:

As I have said before, Toldo should have been the starting goalie! He has proven to be a big game goalie. Buffon has proven nothing in the international level! Experience means a lot in big stages! If Italy wants to win the WC, then Toldo has to be in goal!

Materazzi is also not good enough to play in the top level. He was terrible today against Croatia. He is a great player but he is not a top class defender who can carry a team like Canavaro or Nesta.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
In my mind, Toldo is twice the player Buffon will ever be. Inexperience isn't Buffon's only flaw. He's inconsistent, overly-confident, rash, and often a liability - like Barthez. Maybe he'll grow up to be just like the Frenchman - and cost Juventus the Scudetto by handing it to Inter!

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
I just don't rate Buffon highly at all. He's the most over-rated player in the world, by a long way.

Matrix did play poorly, but no-one would be saying that if his 65-yard long-ball 'goal' had stood. Every Italian fan (I was one today), would be praising him for scoring one of the greatest goals of all time, in the last minute, to salvage a draw for Italy.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Materazzi lacks experience. He has potential, he's just not there yet.

I hardly saw a goalkeeper that has such a strong sense of positioning like Buffon has. His body is somehow always on the ball trajectory. The difference between him & Toldo is measured in milimiters;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buffon is better than Toldo. But Buffon doesn't have the experience like Toldo has. Buffon has also yet to prove anything in the international level, unlike Toldo who was the star for Italy in Euro 2000.

Italy cannot afford to have a goalkeeper to learn at the internatinoal level when they already have a big game goalkeeper. Buffon should only get his chances after Toldo retires!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts