Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reported that Anderlecht have placed Buffel top of their shopping list for the summer,and seem quite confident of getting him!?
In my view,it would be a bad move all round,we would be losing one of our more skillfull players,and I dont think he would be interested in a move back to his homeland at this stage in his career.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
It's a bizarre one alright. I reckon it depends on Monsieur Le Guen, and what sort of system he plans to adopt. If it's his favoured 4-3-3 one wonders where Buffel would fit in. I reckon Buffel can only play as a support striker alongside one main front man. Anywhere else and he becomes a bit less effective (as good a player as he undoubtedly is).

From that point of view, it'd make little sense to keep a player who will be playing out of position. After McLeish goes I want an end to all that nonsense! I guess it all depends on the Frenchman at the end of the day.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Whether Buffel stays probably does depend on Le Guen's view of him, but surely going back to his home country would be a backwards step at this stage in his career as TSC said.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Apparently further reports are that they cannot afford him.

It's not that surprising really. Every club wants home based players so they are probably looking at him as one of the better Belgian players. I wonder if it would mean Wilhelmsson going the other way.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
As has already been said, it will be up to the new manager. But personaly i would prefer him to stay! He's got a year and a half left on his contract, so if PLG wants to sell him and get some money for an able replacement? Who know's till then!

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i hope he stays but if PLG doesn't want him then that's fine

Is Buffel capable of playing the role Juninho had with Lyon? I could actually see him being used as the central striker in some games depending on who the wide players are and what their capabilities are like...

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Exactly what I was thinking TB. However I reckon Juninho Pernambucano is much more of a midfielder than Buffel.

JP's a creative guy - lacking pace, but able to mix it up with his passes. Le Guen pitched him in with Michael Essien (the dynamo) and Mahamadou Diarra (the sitting player). Unfortunately Buffel is more of a forward who is at his best making runs up front. There might not be a place for him as a starter assuming Le Guen adopts this same kind of set-up.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
If he goes I'll not be happy however I will trust Le Guen's decision. He's injured far too often and goes missing quite a lot.

Class player, probably our best on form but consistency is the key here. If he goes that'll be why.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts