Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storm in a teacup?
Dispicable behaviour from a role-model who should know better?

What does everyone think about the Buckley blood-smear incident? I thought it was pretty soft until Lethal came out and said it was akin to spitting - and then I thought, sh1t yeah - if Bucks had spat on Gingerling we'd all be saying he's a dog.

Thoughts?

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
yeah it was disgusting but i dont see it in the same light as spitting, that for me is the absolute insult, it really shows what u think of the other person, wiping blood is more of a nuisance if that makes any sense

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Originally posted by tigerTUFF

yeah it was disgusting but i dont see it in the same light as spitting, that for me is the absolute insult, it really shows what u think of the other person, wiping blood is more of a nuisance if that makes any sense
That's true. Spitting is more of an insult, but I still think that Buckley should be suspended because smearing blood on a person is just unacceptable. If that was off the footy field he could have been charged.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Too right Shev, what Buckley did was unacceptable. But the problem here is if he cops a fine, it will seem to lenient.... if he gets suspended, it will seem to harsh:confused:

I gots the best solution.... give him both :D

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Shall we ask is it because its a high profile player such as Buckley that this has blown up this much?.Well personally I believed a huge fine would've been just as bad as a deterrent to other players in future,And a spur of the moment act of stupidity just explains what can go wrong and No Im not a Buckley or Collingwood fan Im a Blue Boy and thats my opinion.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The fact that he is a high profile player makes what he did even worse, and even more stupid.

Heard a rumour this morning that it was Buckley that actually whacked 'Gingerling' (good one dyer ;) ) first. So what we have here is.....
- Buckley gets reported for smearing blood on an opponent.
- Buckley sulks in the media that he did it in retaliation because Ling hit him behind play.
- Ling gets booked on video for striking Buckley.
- Buckley and Ling both get suspended.

So why doesnt Ling come out and say that Bucks hit him first, which is why he Bucks back? ;)

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I could have sworn that if this was a non Victorian player than they would have got like 5 weeks not a poultry 1. The fact is they didn't even wanna suspend Buckley so they could keep him in the hunt for the Brownlow but to let someone go for something like this is something the tribunal couldn't do.

What he did was a very dangerous thing, and it doesn't set a good example to the young ones growing up watching one of their favourite players putting another player's health at risk.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Id say it was more stupid than dangerous KI.

He only did it so that Ling would have to come off the ground with him :rolleyes: how f*cked is that???

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
what's the big deal
he only wiped a little blood on this guy's shirt, its not like he wiped it actually on his skin or anything
plus this guy got off lightly, Buckley could have punched him in the face, but he didn't. lets put it this way, this guy was the one who caused Buckley to bleed in the first place, and Buckley had every right to wipe the blood back on him. I would have done exactly the same thing.

and what's this crap about HIV or AIDS, these players know that they don't have that crap, otherwise they won't be playing AFL, so what's the big deal

and oh yeah btw pesa, just reminding u that u have post your own predictions for the F1PL this week, cause i ain't gunno do it for ya

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Alarich, at a VFL game on Sunday a group of kids were having a kick on the oval during the half time break. A little kid about 7 was wearing a Collingwood jumper with number 5 on it. He was chasing after the ball, when another kid about 12 yelled out... "watch him, he might wipe some blood on ya". This was not even a day after the incident happened. Is that the kind of image we want for the kids? The AFL did the right thing by suspending Bucks... not that it was dangerous, but just plain stupid.

And i wouldnt say HIV/AIDS is crap dude... how can you say that the players arent infected with it? They have a blood test once, given the green light, and thats it. What if someone contracts this virus during the course of the season 4 months before the next blood tests? Highly unlikely but still you never know....

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KI, you've got a point ...

I don't want to sound like a little b1tch here but Andrew McLeod's 1 week suspension for "charging" Lloyd was a little harsh considering his prior clean record and credentials - since his rubbing out I have seen at least 3 or 4 cases that have been the same or worse with no charge to answer being the result.

Jason Akermanis' recent suspension for his second kneeing offence is just as bad - it was absolutely pathetic - the dude he 'kneed' went down quicker than Eddie McGuire's wife when she saw his bank-balance for the first time.

It seems that players and teams outside the Jolimont axis still cop it worse than those within it.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
pigs arse boys, vic fans say the same,

how many weeks should bucks have gotten? i dont even think he deserved 1, he should have copped a big fine, public apology and regualr appearances to schools, footy show etc etc until the end of the year as penance

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
i've gotto agree with TigerTUFF
especially since Buckley is a role-model

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
that's what they all say
but where's the proof

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
i disagree champ

biting is more serious than smearing blood and definitely more of a health hazard.

Like i mentioned spitting for me is one of the most despicable things u can do to a competitor on a sporting field

and u have to take into consideration both lewis and williams were hardly :angel:'s they both had priors longer than the australian cricket teams tail. :D

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
tigerTUFF said:

and u have to take into consideration both lewis and williams were hardly :angel:'s they both had priors longer than the australian cricket teams tail. :D
Actually i don't feel at all comfortable with that comparison Tiger since it tends to discredit the batting exploits of Lee, Warne etc....

If you had have said the Windies tail then i could accept it :D :)

Actually both biting and smearing blood are potential health hazards and in equal proportions i would say for the simple reason that in a contact sport like AFL, most players would have open cuts (which may not necessarily bleed) that blood and saliva can get into which could lead to HIV and/or Hepatitis etc...

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
agreed except he smeared it onto the jumper (to get him sent off, mischievous behaviour), and not skin whereas biting......

and ure right it was a wrong analogy I s'pose, i was thinking a few years back for some strange reason, when lee was pretty pathetic and warne was going through his horror patch

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Andreas said:

Actually i don't feel at all comfortable with that comparison Tiger since it tends to discredit the batting exploits of Lee, Warne etc....

The Bangladesh Squad has got the longest tail after Habible Bashar ( Real name ) & # 3 its very thin afterwards even Danny Morrison would get a gig at #4 with Bruce Reid behind him

1 - 20 of 24 Posts