Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Great player, but also great character... lighthearted but with a good head on his shoulders. Here's a glimpse of Cortes' home and neighborhood. I wonder how long he'll stay there, with his rocketing career.

B6O4OjPHyw4

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Yeah, PSG is surrounding Cortes like a vulture over roadkill... and apparently Juventus, Lyon and an unnamed Spanish club are interested too. The official word from Botafogo and Cortes' agent is that if Botafogo qualifies for the Libertadores (which is quite possible at this point) the player stays at least for the first semester. But who knows, really? I just hope Cortes sticks around as long as possible and leaves in the most lucrative way possible.

Cortes is one of Bota's three most marketable players, together with Jefferson and Elkeson (not coincidentally, the three players who were recently called for the NT). At least one of them will leave next year, sadly.

Regarding PSG's latest offer for Cortes, according to today's news it was considered too low and dismissed.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not blame him for going. Things (status, success) have come relatively late for him and I hope he secures his future financially. Brazil is more affluent than rarely (never?) before but when compared to what riches PSG can provide........they sound like the Manchester City of France.

Good luck to the boy.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
On his way to Sao Paulo it seems.

What do you think Lit? lateral step at best in terms of defence, but he's a force offensively.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
I dont understand Brazilian transfers... why would bota get rid of a gem player. it happens all the time in our league for no good reason. so dumb! bota had a strong team and needed to build from it, but instead they sell their best defender??! wtfrick?

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
don't associate the word defence with Bruno Cortes please :righton:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I dont understand Brazilian transfers... why would bota get rid of a gem player. it happens all the time in our league for no good reason. so dumb! bota had a strong team and needed to build from it, but instead they sell their best defender??! wtfrick?
For one thing, Cortes is not our best defender - that would be Jefferson, who's much more important for the club.

Bota needs money for transfers and to preserve other key players like Jefferson, and Cortes is in the unique position of being highly marketable (due to his NT appearance) and having played an awful 2nd half of the league. Seriously, in the last couple of months Cortes has been shocking, fragile in defense and irregular upfront (he would occasionally perform a flashy move, and then vanish); he was only in the league's best 11 because his 1st half of the league was amazing. As soon as Cortes went to the NT and the other teams started paying attention to his forward runs, his effectiveness dropped considerably, and his defensive game hasn't improved as much as it needs to.

Cortes does have great potential, absolutely; but it's also perfectly possible that this is as good as he'll get. I totally understand the logic of this deal. Botafogo signed him at the beginning of the year for R$1 million, and according to the news we're now getting R$6 millions for him (before São Paulo showed interest, Napoli had made a lower bid that was refused).

So I'm ok with this transfer, I really am. We're getting a very good return on the initial investment, and we're hardly the only team that sells players to balance the budget and generate income for further signings (São Paulo themselves do it regularly). If the transfer is confirmed, I wish Cortes the best of luck except when he's playing against Botafogo, and if he continues at the NT I'll always cheer for him. He's a good guy, not a poser or a douchebag like so many football stars. ;)

But good players come and go, and I've seen many players who looked as promising as Cortes disappear after having amazing first seasons (anyone remember Fabio Junior?). And if someone absolutely has to be negotiated, there are several other players who I'd be far less willing to let go.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Thanks, Cerezo. I thought about being a journalist, but in Brasil that requires an actual degree in journalism (a law that was cancelled a few years ago and recently reinstated) and I went in another direction. If I were organized enough I might take up regular blogging in my spare time.

Maybe someday.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Grinch- you wouldnt build your team from the "back to front"?
I hear you might be selling us Loco Abreu too.

imo Brazilian transfers are the worst, the dumbest. Have a foundation and go from there. But its like all the coaches and their merry-go-round between clubs. It doesnt matter who, everyones going around unless your name is Neymar, or your pricetag is over $10million euros

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Cerezo. I thought about being a journalist, but in Brasil that requires an actual degree in journalism (a law that was cancelled a few years ago and recently reinstated) and I went in another direction. If I were organized enough I might take up regular blogging in my spare time.

Maybe someday.
And pretty impressive English for a foreigner (and for an Englishman actually!). No idea what your line of work is (and am not prying) but you explain yourself very well - I do not always agree with you but at least you back up your view with reasoning.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Grinch- you wouldnt build your team from the "back to front"?
I hear you might be selling us Loco Abreu too.
Palmeiras made an offer, but both Botafogo and Abreu rejected it. I definitely hope he stays, he's a key player for us. I'm actually more worried about the interest that was expressed by Abreu's childhood team in Uruguay, Nacional, whose president apparently announced that they want Loco Abreu back. Abreu keeps saying that he'll play out his contract with Bota, that ends in 2014, but you never know with these things.

And pretty impressive English for a foreigner (and for an Englishman actually!). No idea what your line of work is (and am not prying) but you explain yourself very well - I do not always agree with you but at least you back up your view with reasoning.
I'm a graphic designer/illustrator. And thanks for the kind words. :)

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Yea Grinch... you have the windedness that I simply dont have when I type. I run out of patience typing. This post is too long

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Recent news about Palmeiras' search for a striker: after hitting a wall with Loco Abreu, Palmeiras also made a bid for Catania's Maxi Lopez, but the Italians asked for 10 million Euros and the deal was off. But I've just read that Russian club Anzhi accepted Palmeiras' bid for Diego Tardelli. However Palmeiras and Tardelli are still negotiating wages, as Tardelli's initial request was considered too steep.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts