Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a crappy postion where I can't get Sky or cable TV. There is no way around it. So for the most part I've got to get to the games, watch them in a pub or watch them with someone who has Setanta.

I noticed today on he Rangers website that they are going to start live broadcasts over the internet. My excitement was short-lived when I found out it was for users outside the UK only. Apartently this is something to do with TV restrictions. That a real pain. Why can't Setanta offer the same TV coverage over the net for UK viewers- not everyone has digital.

Just wanted to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
The TV deal sucks major arse. There isn't one good part of it - the live coverage on setanta is poor, the highlights package on stv is awful, plus the money the clubs get is tiny.

I guess Setanta can't offer the coverage online in the UK, because they only have the TV rights whereas Rangers hold the online broadcasting rights and part of the agreement will be that Rangers can't broadcast online to the UK. There might be some issue with that NTL rights issue we had a few years ago.

I'm sure there is someway around it to make it look like your computer and internet connection is from outwith the UK but i don't know how....

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks guys- guess it's a good excuse to go to the pub :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are using Servecast and will be showing every game from Pitoddrie this weekend till the end of the season. Should make them a mint. I can't see anyway around it because at some stage you have to pay for it and they'd crack on straight away that it was a UK credit card.

The webcasts are run 30 minutes after the game is finished so it's not worth the money anyway.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The last couple of seasons were so much better in terms of TV coverage when the BBC had the rights. Like you, I don't have Setanta (refuse to buy it out of principle :stuckup: ), so haven't seen as much of us this season as I would like. It's all very well going to the pub, but i'm lucky if i'm out of my bed at 2pm on a Sunday. It would have been good if the internet thing was offered here, but it's sh!t that it's not live.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully when the next TV deal comes along they will negotiate something to allow them to broadcast live. Like yourself though it was great when the BBC had it. I can't afford to go to Ibrox every second week and I don't have the time either at the weekend. I go when I can but it's not enough.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Celtic have been doing the same service for a while now. I'm not sure how to do it, but there is a way to 'fool' the Celtic website (therefor the Rangers one as well) into thinking that you are in a foreign country. Something to do with IP addresses. You'll find out about it on the net somewhere.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mincecfc said:
Celtic have been doing the same service for a while now. I'm not sure how to do it, but there is a way to 'fool' the Celtic website (therefor the Rangers one as well) into thinking that you are in a foreign country. Something to do with IP addresses. You'll find out about it on the net somewhere.
Cheers, I'll maybe have a look for that.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Just to let you know, I managed to find a link for the match today. It was about a minute behind the real game time, but it didn't cost anything. Can't guarantee i'll be able to find any links in the future, but if I do i'll post them here.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Angle_eyes said:
Just to let you know, I managed to find a link for the match today. It was about a minute behind the real game time, but it didn't cost anything. Can't guarantee i'll be able to find any links in the future, but if I do i'll post them here.
How did you find it- that would have been better than listening to David Begg wringing out his knickers every time Aberdeen attacked- not that I think he is biased.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
How did you find it- that would have been better than listening to David Begg wringing out his knickers every time Aberdeen attacked- not that I think he is biased.
The link was posted on another Rangers messageboard. Something called soccerstreams. I've just watched the Arsenal game from it as well. Boumsong got taken off with a real hamstring injury :frownani: ;)

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bugger, I've just been listening to that nutter on 5 live. I'll look out for those feeds in the future.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The Kilmarnock game's on here
http://208.53.170.193:6000/;stream.nsv

You need to have winamp installed on your PC though. When you install it, you just copy the address, click File, select Play URL, and paste the address in.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Angle_eyes said:
The Kilmarnock game's on here
http://208.53.170.193:6000/;stream.nsv

You need to have winamp installed on your PC though. When you install it, you just copy the address, click File, select Play URL, and paste the address in.
I didn't get near the PC at the weekend so missed this one. Was it real time?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
I didn't get near the PC at the weekend so missed this one. Was it real time?
Yep. The feed was as near perfect as you're gonna get as well. I think the quality of these things depends on how many are watching via the links. Guess Killie-Celtic is not a particularly interesting game. Sh!t game btw. Celtic weren't exactly lucky, but they weren't in any way convincing.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If I'm around this weekend I'll have a look for links as it should be a cracker against Hibs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts