Xtratime Community banner

British players abroad

21K views 167 replies 27 participants last post by  Jeffrey 
#1 · (Edited)
There are some Brits playing in some pretty obscure countries I've noticed....no less than Rohan Ricketts...remember him?(ex Spurs, Coventry)? what a mad situation he was in. Luckily he just managed to get out of there.

Worth a read.....

http://www.column10.com/2011/05/roh...-forced-to-play-unpaid-and-leave-the-country/

Seth Burkett, young English left back playing in the lower leagues of Brazil
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...l-star-Brazil-spotted-scouts-school-trip.html

Gary Martin (IA Akranes, Iceland)

Jordan Stewart (Xanthi ,Greece)

Maurice Ross (ex Rangers) - Beijing Goan - EDIT: back in Scotland :D

Kenny Miller (Bursaspor)

Carl Robinson (Red Bulls NY)

I'm sure there are other obvious ones.....

Beckham obviously.

See less See more
#2 ·
Beijing Guoan (ex Rangers) - Beijing Goan
Do you mean Maurice Ross? He's back in Scotland at Motherwell.

There's a handful of Scots in Australia, like ex-Ross County forward Steven McGarry of Perth Glory, & ex-Hibs man Grant Brebner at Melbourne.

Mark Burchill, ex Celtic & Sheffield Wednesday, is at Enosis Neon in Cyprus, & ex-Champ Manager legend Mark Kerr is in Greece with Asteras Tripoli.

There was one at Real Betis but he's left to move to Scotland as he was only really involved in their B team, Ryan Harper, while his wee brother Jack is 15 & involved in the Real Madrid setup apparently. Bet nothing comes of that.

#3 ·
ah yeah , i meant him ...I'll edit that...didn't know he was back :D

Kris Thackray (Reggina, Italy)

Scott Sutter (BSC Young Boys Switzerland)

Eric Dier (Sporting Lisbon)

Lewis Holtby (Schalke/Mainz)

Though the latter ones are clutching at straws I guess having lived abroad most of their lives, esp Holtby. I heard the last 2 have claimed they want to represent England if possible.

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Kenny Miller is the pride & joy of an increasingly pathetic footballing nation, I was referring to yourself ;)

If Bastin returns, I'll start panicing about a timewarp

#19 ·
And Kris Boyd is off to Eskişehirspor in Turkey.

Amazed Fowler is still playing. Can't be getting much cash in Thailand can he?

#20 ·
Some good stories on here!! The English lad playing in Brazil is particularly interesting!! Its great how they have been brave enough to try out different countries to be successful, well done to them! More should do the same!

#22 ·
Riordan going to China is mindblowingly stupid. He'll be back in 6 months, 1 year max.

#26 ·
There seem to be a lot of English players going to North America. Not entirely MLS, but the college leagues and below. I know a lad who is on a scholarship out there. Similarly my mate's brother does something similar in Australia. Pretty sure if I'd have known about it I could have gone for that kind of chance, these players aren't exactly special.

#27 ·
Dale Jennings has completed his move to Bayern.....I hope it works out for him. Obviously he`ll be playing with the Bayern B team for a fair bit but it`s still a great chance to experience playing with some top players.

Wish more English players had the chance/bottle to try their hand abroad rather than stay in the comfort zone here.

#28 ·
Yeh I agree, we would definitely see more cultured and experienced players should more choose to go abroad, which would massively improve the England Team! It would do young players good to get out of the football bubble they are in over here and would open their eyes to the real world!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.