Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anything to get Bastin to post here.. :tongue: Alright, out of the top of my head, here are the best british films I've seen over the years.. ofcourse the comedies stand out most.

Trainspotting
My Beautiful Laundrette
Monty Python's Life of Brian
Get Carter
Snatch
The Third Man
The Red Shoes
Kes
Full Monty
Billy Elliot
Dirty Pretty Things
Whisky Galore!
Don't Look Now

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
You forgot Love Actually (which I really really liked) and Four Weddings and a Funeral is British aswell right?

·
Registered
56,016 Posts
i am a big fan of british films and series.
i liked all of the films bob listed. i have to add directors like ken loach, ridley scott, david lean, hitchcock and chaplin (i don't know if i can class them as english directors). also kubrick.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Trainspotting is class! :star:

I also like Full Monty! :horny: :dielaugh:

The idea of "follow your dreams" in Billy Elliot impresses me a lot. It (kind of) reminds me of the reality in my life... :tongue: The society is very different here, but I feel like Billy. :eek:

It's, however, a bit difficult to find some British films here. And I'm living in a former British colony! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Naked (Mike Leigh)
Secret and Lies
Ladybird Ladybird (Ken Loach)
Raining Stones
Shallow Grave (Danny Boyle)
Brassed Of (Mark Herman)
Little Voice

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Very few decent films have come out of Britain, apart from maybe :-

The Italian Job
Lawrence of Arabia
Billy Elliot
Full Monty
Dog Soldiers :D
Trainspotting (absolute class)
Get Carter
Iris
Zulu

That's it really. It's a shame because there is alot of potential and the best script writers in the world are in Britain. Come on BBC stop making classical dramas and put money into making a film!.

·
World Class Player
7,673 Posts
!bob said:
Anything to get Bastin to post here.. :tongue:
The best way to get Bastin posting is to use the word Bastin. ;)

Russell said:
That's it really. It's a shame because there is alot of potential and the best script writers in the world are in Britain. Come on BBC stop making classical dramas and put money into making a film!.
The British film industry would actually have enough money to risk a little on a blockbuster had it invested in Harry Potter. Did they really think that the film would bomb?

The best British films were made over 20 years ago. Preferably 30. Most British films nowadays are Richard Curtis and Hugh Grant lovefests.

Gandhi
Dr Zhivago
The Dambusters
Henry V (1944)
Bridge on the River Kwai
The Spy who came in from the Cold
The Wicker Man
Most James Bond films

And, of course, the Arsenal Stadium Mystery.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i remember "bitter moon".

·
Registered
56,016 Posts
bob, your avatar comes from one of the monthy pithon serie isn't it?
it kicked my ass when i saw it, the bizarre way to walk:tongue:

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If we're talking Danny Boyle then I'd give Shallow Grave a mention, rather than 28 Days Later..

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Mike Leigh is the best british filmmaker working today, a genius that has never made a bad film ;)

Richard Curtis :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

also i'd like to bring up one of my faves....Hope and Glory :star:

·
International
9,526 Posts
anything with George Formby in it is class:D

but I can't agree with Russell, I think theres always some good stuff coming out of Britain....its just not mainstream and gets buried under the weight of [email protected] coming out of Hollywood, or English feel good sh!te like Nottinghill etc etc.

Three English flics that deserve a mention....

Withnail and I brilliantly funny...only decent thing I've seen Richard E Grant in. He was excellent.

24HourPartyPeople was a great laugh and got the Manc music scene spot on. Stevie Coogan is a genius.

Regeneration was dark, and sad but it told a story that needed to be heard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts