Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know really..........who do you people reckon to be Germany's birghtest young players?

Its best if you could list your five favourite players.

Forza Germany!!

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
balla_basti said:
I wanted to know really..........who do you people reckon to be Germany's birghtest young players?

Its best if you could list your five favourite players.

Forza Germany!!
Well, not an easy question. I would name the following 5 players :

- Kevin Kuranyi
- Phillip Lahm
- Per Mertesacker
- Andreas Hinkel
- Lukas Podolski

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Brightest in the way of smart? ;)

Would be an easy one ;)

Lukas "Proll"dolski, master degree in German literature and communication science :tongue:

And the only player that can top Prinz Poldi if it comes to embarassing interviews... Bastian Schweinsteiger. He makes Poldi sound like a nobel prize winner :D

Serious now... I'd say

1) Lahm
2) Kuranyi
3) Deisler (if it weren't for his mental disorders)
4) maybe Lukas Podolski or the other players Rothose mentioned (though I dont rate Hinkel that highly),
5) a honorary 5th place for Metzelder... IMO he was going to be one of the top 10 centre backs in the world if it hadn't been for his nasty injury. He was already pretty close to the top 10. I hope he will come back to his old form once he totally recovered from the injury. He would easily top the list. Realistically I doubt he can fully recover, but I still wish him all the best.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Schweinsteiger is FCB's Gattuso... "Hello, Basti?" "Unnggghhh tttpphhhh...." :D

...but yes, certainly Lahm, Kuranyi, Deisler. As for Metzelder, I hope he does not become another Lars Ricken, though he would have a good excuse if he did, unlike Lars, who just, well, sucks these days.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Metzelder was already moving on a level that Ricken never reached... I'd take a fit Metze over any other defender in the world of his age... look just how crappy guys like Mexes (what a walking disaster for Roma) or also our Coloccini are doing. Top central defenders of young age are rare right now.

Gattuso reminds me more of Jeremies... same voice, otherwise he can at least speak (even though, the voice is absolutely hilarious). Schweini speaks German as fluently as I speak Japanese ;)

And I'd say after 2 h of Japanese lessons, my "interviews" would sound less retarded than the ones of Basti.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Sorry in advance for my lack of knowledge, but Podolski sounds Polish for me? is him?, and Kuryanyi is brazilian and not even a shoe of Klinsmann, Kolse was lame too, as much a Palermo, so please tell there are some German kids, for christ sake they can't vanish all of a sudden you used to have so great players and not that long ago either....Is there a problem of wnting to be Serie A and La Liga and too much foreigners? what's happening with younger divisions, where is MY Lothar, or even at least the stylish and enjoyable new Litbarski or Hassller?????... a Schuster? something, I'm not asking for a Kaiser...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I'm not sure if I would say that, as they do have good young defenders such as Phillip Lahm and Andreas Hinkel. Lucas Podolski is not bad either, but thats about it for Germany. They do seem to lack a lot of talent.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Podolski sounds Polish, indeed, but that's not uncommon for family names, especially in the region of nordrhein-westfalen. So despite his name and his trouble with his mother tongue, he is a born and breed German ;)

Strikers are a problem nontheless, no doubt.

Lahm however evidenlty is very underrated it seems by you guys. I think he will compete with Italy's Zambrotta for the recognition as the best left back in Europe till WC 06.

Mertesacker, if he were playing in EPL; would be already hailed the new Baresi ;) Not that he is, but in other countries they simply tend to overhype their youngsters more than in Germany... and mostly, they dont do it rightfully, as the examples of Matteo Ferrari, Mexes etc show, not to mention the crop of average English defenders that are considered nowhere World class but on the isle itself.

Deisler could have been a great one, if it werent for his problems with injuries and mental illness. Too bad. Metze, as I have written above, would have been easily one of our best stoppers in the last decades after Kohler, but got destroyed by an injury, too.

Seems we are rather unlucky right now with severe injuries.

Another one that could be mentioned would be Hildebrand. If I see what guys are hopping around behind the posts of some other European countries (but Italy and Spain), pretending to be keepers, I am quite happy that we got such a young talented class keeper like Timo as our #3. Would walk with bound eyes in a lot of starting formations in Europe. In the English one probably literally with bound eyes.

The times of Klinsmann, Matthäus, Brehme, Häßler are no more, true... we got different players now, some talented, some more hard workers. Evidently we are suffering from the same problems like other big leagues, the Bosman rule isn't helping those big nations with regards to their national team.

However I am fine so far with the team, we need to play what we got, we are no Brazil, but at the WC, also due to other virtues that sheer talent, we will have our say again ;)

I'd make even the bold statement that from the 4 big leagues nations England, Germany, Italy and Spain, Germany will go the longest way, not only cause of the home advantage.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Isaac said:
There's no bright German players, the whole team is crap.
Seemingly a true expert has joined our little discussion...

@Fangio : Kuranyi isn't a 'true' brazilian, that's a misunderstanding which can be heard very often. In fact, Kuranyi was born in Brazil ( therefore he also holds a brazilian passport..) as the son of a german of hungarian descent ( Kuranyi is a hungarian name ! ) while his mother is from Panama. But he has no brazilian blood at all in his veigns. His father was working in Brazil, he spent the first 13 years of his life there and learned to play football in Rio.
As Psycho already mentioned, the times of Matthaeus, Brehme and Klinsmann are over. But unlike Psycho, i don't see the biggest problem of the german NT in the attack but in the creative midfield.
We have a couple of talented players in the attack aside Kuranyi and Podolski. Klose improved alot since he joined Werder Bremen, he is a very valuable team player. Lauth will make a comeback after 10 months of injury now - imho he is the most talented of all german strikers ( aside Podolski ) - and i'm not saying that only because he now plays for Hamburg ;) - you can look up my words on Lauth which i entered here 2 years ago... Players like Neuville or Brdaric are OK backup strikers.
Creative midfielders are the biggest problem zone of the german NT. We lack a true No. 10 ( Deisler is injured too often ) and we also lack creative wingers, Schneider is the only above average player to mention here. And there is no left footed midfielder at all who can help our NT (Hitzsperger is overhyped , Rahn fell through here in Hamburg). Trochowski may be another No. 10 option for the future, he is very talented but inexperienced. We have a couple of highly skilled dm's though, but none of them is really creative.
In the central defense, we lack some high quality players which are in the 'best age' ( 27-30 ). There is only Woerns and a bunch of mostly young, talented but inexperienced players. Hopefully Metzelder can make a comeback.
In terms of talented players, the situation in Germany has improved alot compared to the late 90's . But we will see the best from the actual generation of german players after 2006, the WC comes a bit too early imho.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
As soon as I read the thread title I had to think of Podolski. ;) Too bad I wasn't the first one...

Now seriously, my answer would definitely be Deisler. If it wasn't for injuries or depressions noone in Germany would talk about problems in creative midfield. And Ballack would be there to clean his shoes. But is Deisler still under 25, I don't think so. :undecide:

Lahm would be another option, looks like one of the best (world-wide) in his position at such a young age already.

Podolski, Kuranyi, Schweinsteiger,... I don't know how strong Germany will be 2006, but Stefan Raab will have a lot of fun with the post-game interviews. :D

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
However I am fine so far with the team, we need to play what we got, we are no Brazil, but at the WC, also due to other virtues that sheer talent, we will have our say again
Exactly, but I still think they must be there, just not given the chance, awesome generation after awesome generation can't vanish...

he spent the first 13 years of his life there and learned to play football in Rio.
..well that makes him brazilian, jejeje is a pretty good training, what better than learn the basics in Rio?, anyway sorry I'm another that thought was a Camoranesi, etc...

What amazes more is that the late 80's 90's generation had awesome players and smart, great tactical awarness in many of them, so I thought thye will pass their knoweldge and find new cracks, but it seems they not, and is strange, cause is not Argentina were things just happen, and there is no real continuation in anything, or great programs or projects, is underatandable......

PD: Rothose, did you notice that the prety big German communitty once had many argie players with that background, and now they are like vanish? I now that we chnage our blood and origins very 40 years, depnding on were comes the inmigration, and where goes the migration (really sad this last one, I can't beliebve the number of friends I have in europe..), but is strange no?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
There are others too.

Madlung (central def from Hertha) and Wiese (GK from Kaiserslautern) are very good too IMO.

In Wiese and Hildebrand, Germany has two of the best young GKs in the world, no doubt about it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i havent seen much of most of the players mentioned here but the one German player under 25 who had really impressed me undoubtedly has to be Christoph Metzelder. I saw him in Japan 2002 and he was amazing. I rated his performance up there with the best of the Italian defenders and i really thought he was an unsung hero.

To be honest, i have heard more about Sebastian Deisler than i have seen of him. I first spotted him in 1999 i think it was when he was still with Berlin and saw him score an absolute stunner of a free kick. I have tracked his progress since then as much as i could but really i have never seen him turn in world beating performances. The best i have seen him play was probably in the League Cup this season against Werder Bremen. How good is he really? In relation to other creative midfielders around the world. As good as Aimar would be awesome and i think Ronaldinho is too much to hope for. Lets hope he gets over his mental problems. And he is 24 i think. Loads of time.

From what i hear Bastian Scweinisteiger is quite the Totti of German football, atleast in relation to mental capacity. Sadly or Thankfully, i have never experienced any of his interviews. But i really do think this kid has talent. He turns in big performances against good oppsition, always a sign on potential greatness. Latest i saw him was against Juve in the Champs League and he turned in a fine performance. But i really dont think of him as a Gattuso kind of player. Hes definately got more finesse and skill about him.

Phillipe Lahm. Without a shadow of a doubt this kid was the best German player in Euro 2004, barring probably Micheal Ballack. He's skillful, talented, got a turn of pace and is two footed. I reckon he will be as good as Luca Zambrotta in two years. More so if he has Bixenti Lizarazu to nurture him for a year. Brightest German player IMHO.

Andreas Hinkel is another player who has impressed me. I saw him loads of times last season as Stuttgart made the grade in the Champs League and he played very well against tough opposition. He is very good going forward but i think his defensive work needs a bit of work( was still good enough to stop Cristiano Ronaldo). You guys would probably know better seeing him day in day out.

Per Mertesecker, i have seen only once so its not my place to comment. But if he is as good as Coloccini is than he IS a real find. Germans need reinforcement in centerhalf and if hes the man than its amazing. I dont think Psycho was right in criticizing Coloccini. Frankly i think, Milan should have a little more faith in him. He was very very good for Villareal over two seasons playing against some of the top in the world. (Ronaldinho, Ronaldo). Apparently Ancelotti has little faith with players from other European leagues. (Rivaldo)

I really hope 2006 will see Mertesecker and Metzelder in centerhalf with Lahm and Hinkel in the wings and hopefully Hilderbrand between the sticks. Thats as good as it will probably get.

Contrary to what Mr. Rothose thinks, I think Germany as a team create plenty of oppurtunities. Their center of midfield is very good with Ballack as good a player as anyone else and Frings, Ernst and Baumann all very solid. The wings is where they sorely lack. Its sad that Germany do not have any very fast and skillfull players. Schneider is good but getting on in years and no one like Mehmet Scholl. That would have been super.

Upfront i think they are simply crap. I cursed the German strikers in Euro, especially in the game against the Czech's where they created golden oppurtunities but failed to capitalize. Kuranyi is good but not a natural goal scorer and neither is any one i have come across.

I have heard a lot of Lauth and Podoloski but never seen them play. Podoloski for a half against the Czechs where he did little of note. How good are they really again in comparison to other players in the world their age?

Germans have always been unlucky with injuries. LEts hope all of the youngsters stay fit.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Rothose said:
Seemingly a true expert has joined our little discussion...
:tongue:

But unlike Psycho, i don't see the biggest problem of the german NT in the attack but in the creative midfield.
Well, I agree with you. the biggest problem is the creative midfield... we have none, absolutely none since Deisler will never recover in a way that he could bear the pressure of leading the German NT.

Ballack is a fantastic attacking midfielder, one of the most dangerous ones in front of the goal. However creative he isn't.

Schweini looked promising, but he seems to lack the professional attitude that could take him to another level, make him become maybe another Scholl instead of the little dribbler (or like we would say in German "Fummelkönig" ;) ) that always misses the moment to give the ball to a teammate...

Ernst, Frings... yeah, we got some decent central midfielders... but they are still no creative players. A mess.

Trochowski? We become desperate, but who knows... at least he moved finally away from Bayern, hope he gets some playing time at Hamburg and can become a useful man for the NT. It has never been so easy to become a German international as a creative midfielder, he should grab the chance ;)

We have a couple of talented players in the attack aside Kuranyi and Podolski. Klose improved alot since he joined Werder Bremen, he is a very valuable team player. Lauth will make a comeback after 10 months of injury now - imho he is the most talented of all german strikers ( aside Podolski ) - and i'm not saying that only because he now plays for Hamburg ;) - you can look up my words on Lauth which i entered here 2 years ago... Players like Neuville or Brdaric are OK backup strikers.
Beh, sure, Klose has improved a lot and I am impressed by him. Kevin is okay, too.

But Lauth... we have to see how he will back to the game. Podolski, while talented, plays just 2nd division, lets not forget this.

And Neuville/Brdaric are a nitemare ;)

Anyway, while it is no complete desaster, I simply dont like the fact that we dont have a single world class striker. You know, almsot every big nation got at least one really big player up front. Italy got a couple (with Vieri and Inzaghis time finished, now they have Cassano or Gilardino), England got that fatty, France got Trezeguet and Henry and each time I see a player like Roy Makaay being just benched for the Oranjes, I get envious.

I think a single world class striker would take our team to another level. As would a #10.

In the central defense, we lack some high quality players which are in the 'best age' ( 27-30 ). There is only Woerns and a bunch of mostly young, talented but inexperienced players. Hopefully Metzelder can make a comeback.
True about the experience... in comparison to the past years, however, I prefer those young guns over the some of the defense pairs we had in the past before those young gems emerged.

BTW what do you think about Nowotny? Damn, he was so hot in Bayers amazing triple-vice champ season... one of the finest defenders on the continent, on his way to one of the very top teams. You think he could ever find back to this old form? Or let's say come close to it?? He IS experienced and could be a good leader for the young players in the defense. I'd prefer him over Wörns...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts