Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monday, February 2, 2004

Bridges joins Newcastle on loan

Newcastle today signed Leeds' striker Michael Bridges on a three-month loan.

Bridges made his name at north-east rivals Sunderland before a £5million move to Leeds in 1999.

He scored 21 goals in his first season at Elland Road but has been plagued by injuries since and has yet to score in 10 league appearances this season.

It is also rumoured that Paul Robinson will today sign for Tottenham Hotspur, and be loaned back to Leeds for the remainder of the season.

soccernet

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
He was a very good player before his injuries at Leeds. I'm not too sure about him signing, but its on loan so no harm can be done, he's looked quite good for Leeds in recent weeks, especially against us a few weeks ago. Hopefully he'll be able to recapture his goal scoring form for us.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
He'll probably snap in half on debut...

All those players out for only Bridges - on loan at that - in.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
he was my favourite young striker in England when he had that good season for Leeds the other year,maybe Bobbo Robbo can inject a bit of steel into his muscles in his laboratory ;)

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
Here's what Bridges has to say about the move:

Newcastle new boy Michael Bridges has revealed Alan Shearer will act as his inspiration as he rebuilds his career.
Bridges is on a three-month loan deal after an injury-plagued time at Leeds.

He wants a permanent move, and hopes to follow new team-mate Shearer's example in overcoming injury troubles.

The 25-year-old told www.nufc.co.uk: "I spoke to Alan a few times and when you look back at the injuries he came back from it was an inspiration. I felt I'd been a bit stale at Leeds"

Bridges added: "I'd been banging on the door to get out on loan.

"My contract is up in the summer and I wasn't offered a new deal. So whatever happens I won't be going back there.

"My aim now is to do all I can in my three months at Newcastle to earn a longer deal at the club."

Bridges, a lifelong Newcastle fan, struggled to make an impact at Elland Road but insisted retirement never crossed his mind.

He added: "It is hard when you are in the gym every day but there was never any chance of me packing it in however hard it got."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts