Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I'll open the thread.

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow. My first attempt at opening a thread this season and I have a 100% record!

As for the match, for those who didn't watch it, we were dominating and scored a goal off a massive deflection. Brescia then pushed forward and we let them get a bit of a groove going. That's when Lukaku drifted in from the right flank (empty since they pushed forward, remember?) and hit a sweet long range curler, using his opponent as a shield and a target to curl the ball around.

So we were coasting and then we decided, "hey, you know what? This is way too easy...why don't we let them into the game a bit more and suffer as usual?". So Brescia, after a particularly strong attack, scored after Handanovic's close range save bounced off Skriniar's knee and into our goal. "Ah, that's the stuff!", we said.

Then, suddenly, our players realised that Conte would destroy the arsehole of each player if they messed up again. So they bucked up a bit and we won the match.

THE END

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So who played well?

As you might have guessed, virtually everyone was playing with less than a full tank and were therefore playing below their usual level. I'd say the clear exceptions to this were my boy Samir and the Man of the Moment, Mr Lautaro Martinez.

Barella was very good once again but had some difficulties because of the tight spaces in this match and other players playing below their level.

Candreva was pretty solid but lacked in the cross/cut-back department. There were a couple of golden opportunities but he got blocked each time.

Lukaku continues to improve, especially in the back-to-goal department. I'd like to see him run at players a lot more but I really do appreciate his unselfish layoffs.

Skriniar seems to be having a patch of not-so-good form. He looked a step or two off-the-pace, which is not exactly ideal for a defender who frequently needs to make well-timed interventions. And he's got this new thing where he takes his opponent out without playing the ball and then acts all surprised when he's called for a foul and insists it was a legit shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. Now, I think that's pretty funny but try not to do it too much, okay?

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
Ha, nice one Fird.

I missed the game. Clean sheets seem to be a thing of the past..... Conte's post-match rant was quite amazing.

Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Let's hope Motta and Genoa can cause Juve problems tonight.

And a draw between Napoli and Atalanta would be good

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Surely @Nerazzurri4life will be back no?

Nice goal that by Lukaku. And Lautaro seems to be in one of these runs of forms some strikers get in which they'll score one goal per game no matter how.

I saw highlights only but every time I see Inter matches your GK seems to have made at least one absolutely great save at least. I know you guys tend to disagree about it, and he does make a blunder now and then, but he's such an underrated keeper overall. One of the best in the business for a while now IMO.

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Nice goal that by Lukaku. And Lautaro seems to be in one of these runs of forms some strikers get in which they'll score one goal per game no matter how.

I saw highlights only but every time I see Inter matches your GK seems to have made at least one absolutely great save at least. I know you guys tend to disagree about it, and he does make a blunder now and then, but he's such an underrated keeper overall. One of the best in the business for a while now IMO.
I don't think anyone can legitimately say anything negative about Handa now. He had a slump (which happens) and he made a grand return to form. Since then, aside from a couple of mistakes, he's been a real force overall.

Lautaro's biggest strength atm seems to be his ability to receive the ball with his back to goal and use some trickery to burst forward past his opponent. He's doing well in other areas too but this is a huge ability that he's taking advantage of and which allows him to create other opportunities.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts

Lautaro's just killing it ATM

No idea how he's suddenly playing at this level. It almost reminds me of Milito in 2009/10 or Eto'o the season after. Just that sort of "unplayable" form players sometimes get into.

That form rarely lasts though.

But I think it's safe to say he will become an extremely good striker. Barca have a massive hard-on for the guy, so we should enjoy him while he's here.

·
Greta joke sharer
22,880 Posts
So who played well?

As you might have guessed, virtually everyone was playing with less than a full tank and were therefore playing below their usual level. I'd say the clear exceptions to this were my boy Samir and the Man of the Moment, Mr Lautaro Martinez.

Barella was very good once again but had some difficulties because of the tight spaces in this match and other players playing below their level.

Candreva was pretty solid but lacked in the cross/cut-back department. There were a couple of golden opportunities but he got blocked each time.

Lukaku continues to improve, especially in the back-to-goal department. I'd like to see him run at players a lot more but I really do appreciate his unselfish layoffs.

Skriniar seems to be having a patch of not-so-good form. He looked a step or two off-the-pace, which is not exactly ideal for a defender who frequently needs to make well-timed interventions. And he's got this new thing where he takes his opponent out without playing the ball and then acts all surprised when he's called for a foul and insists it was a legit shoulder-to-shoulder challenge. Now, I think that's pretty funny but try not to do it too much, okay?
Candreva honestly infuriates me, he gets into so many good positions but 95% of them amount to nothing in the end because he takes too much time on the ball before deciding what to do with it.

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Candreva honestly infuriates me, he gets into so many good positions but 95% of them amount to nothing in the end because he takes too much time on the ball before deciding what to do with it.
But just when you're about to write him off for the match, he does something unexpectedly good. He has made some pretty huge defensive interventions too.

It's not just about him taking too much time...sometimes the cut-backs look lazy/half-assed. From the body language, it seems like he makes more of an effort in getting there and once he's there, it's whatever. I don't see him making much eye contact with the target player when that happens as well, which just reinforces that feeling. But tbf, he works pretty hard and does do a lot so I have to recognise that. He's a mixed bag but a net positive so far this season.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Candreva is really an underrated player though generally. I've defended him many times before and it's no real surprise he does well under Conte -- most wingbacks do really well in his signature formation; I mean at Chelsea Victor Moses + Alonso looked like Roberto Carlos + Cafú in Brazil 2002.

IMO Candreva is just not a great fit for 4-3-3. He's not a forward. Much better suited for old school 4-4-2 or for this kind of role he's playing now. He can run the flank up and down and has a very good shot/cross.

·
Registered
43,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Candreva is really an underrated player though generally. I've defended him many times before and it's no real surprise he does well under Conte -- most wingbacks do really well in his signature formation; I mean at Chelsea Victor Moses + Alonso looked like Roberto Carlos + Cafú in Brazil 2002.

IMO Candreva is just not a great fit for 4-3-3. He's not a forward. Much better suited for old school 4-4-2 or for this kind of role he's playing now. He can run the flank up and down and has a very good shot/cross.
Good call.

Did you watch the Inter match? One of the commentators specifically mentioned Victor Moses as an example of Conte revamping the careers of players like Candreva.

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
Nah I hate watching Inter and Juve when they're doing well, especially in the "easier" games. :D Can't stand it. At least when it's not directly relevant to Milan.

So I mostly watch the CL games and the tough league ones when I can.

·
Registered
15,443 Posts
1 assist all season is pretty weak from Candreva though.

He has been a goal threat, but his crossing hasn't been up to standard, unfortunately. He's generally played well, but it would be nice if he used what used to be his main strength: crossing

·
Greta joke sharer
22,880 Posts
The weird thing is that he crosses better with his left than his right this season.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts