Xtratime Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i heard riquelme saying in an interview, that after the kidnapping of his brother, when he had to pay $160.000 to, he is still recieving threats.
he said he cant stand this anymore, and that he will play his last two matchs, in la copa libertadores against olimpia next thursday and against and against newells next sunday. then he will leave the country.
he also said that if he cannot sign a contract for any european team, he would leave football, and he would start doing what he did when he was a child.
i heard him saying this things. its not an stupid rumour.

i dunno what to say.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Thanks Batigold. I was just about to post this information:

Diario-Ole (Argentina)
May 14, 2002
Translated by Humbird

Riquelme could quit football.

Today, Diario-Sport reported that Riquelme has threatened to quit football is he can't play outside of Argentina, and that the player wants to get out of Argentina since the kidnapping of his brother Christian and the payment of a 160,000 dollar ransom.

El Mundo Deportivo reported that Riquelme could leave Boca and that he had refused to travel to Paraguay for a match because of worries about what could happen to his family.

Roman spoke yesterday with the program La Patria Deportiva on TN and confessed his fears about insecurity. He admitted that he could leave football. "I has been very difficult to work as a football player in this country because of the threats to my family which have continued even after the kidnapping of my brother. I could never forgive myself if something happened."

Riquelme does not want to continue playing in Argentina. There was interest from Barcelona and Atletico Madrid but the negotiations never amounted to anything. What is clear is that it will be Europe or nothing for Riquelme.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So why not go to europe then? there is not going to be a shortage of demand for riquelme. if he doesnt demand too much money - as atletico madrid have reported, then he will move soon. i'm sure a host of european clubs will be more than excited at the prospect of one of argentina's finest joining their ranks.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
He should go to Europe, someone must want him, it will be a shame if he retires, he's got so much to give...

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
Riquelme will find his place in european soccer, no doubt about that.
The only problem is that Boca still demands a very high transfer fee, which only the biggest clubs could afford to pay. And the big clubs probably say 'Well, lets wait for Riquelmes performances in europe, he must first proove himself here at a smaller club before we want to spend money on him...' . but the smaller clubs can't afford Riquelme right now...

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Boca officials should not agree on any deal less than 30 or 35 million dollars.

·
First Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
2,968 Posts
No one in europe will pay 30-35 Mio Dollars.
The time of these big transfer fees is coming to an end !

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
well, i invite him to juve, we'll be delighted to get him

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tegtmeier said:
Riquelme will find his place in european soccer, no doubt about that.
The only problem is that Boca still demands a very high transfer fee, which only the biggest clubs could afford to pay. And the big clubs probably say 'Well, lets wait for Riquelmes performances in europe, he must first proove himself here at a smaller club before we want to spend money on him...' . but the smaller clubs can't afford Riquelme right now...
you said everything, but theres one thing wrong. bocas mangament is not asking a huge amount of money anymore. in fact, there was an agreement between boca and atletico madrid ($14 million), but riquelmes salary was the problem here. he asked 3,5 million per year.
some months ago, when barsa tried to get him, the club was the one to blame, but one its riquelmes fault. at least, this is what the press here said.
but now, i assume things are gonna be different. he will sign a contract for the club with the best offer.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm shocked,and at the same time sad to hear this news:(.It's crazy to think that somebody couldn't agree a deal to take him to europe by now.Juve could have had him some time ago,but they decided not to,instead they prefer D'Alessandro.Everything seems to work against him - it is true to say that european clubs now don't want to take risks with BIG transfer fees anymore,so JRR's chances depend on Boca + his agents not asking for too much.Then he himself has to accept a reasonable salary,otherwise any deal will fall through:(.To think that Aimar is doing so well for Valencia,Saviola great for Barca,Solari for Real Madrid - but no one wants to take the "chance" with Romy!:mad:.If he retires i will be SO upset,this guy is pure gold.For once,i hope Jesus Gil can actually back up his mouth,and spend the $$$ to take him to Atletico Madrid.I only say this,because he is a wonderful wonderful talent,easily capable of mixing with the best & beating them.It will be a tragedy if he doesn't get his wish,and stops playing.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Riquelme seems to be out of luck, first out of the WC, his brother kidnapped, and now this...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
I've been follwoing this story since it broke about two days ago. It's really very sad. This situation can haunt not just Riquelme but other famous or wealthy players that pracice their football in Argentina or abroad.:( Riquelme is desperate to head out to a Euro club and who can blame him..

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
This is going to result in very young talents to leave very early for Europe even before they can settle down in their home country:( Not good for future stars:( They will virtually have to flee their motherland or retire:rolleyes: :depress:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts