1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Apparently Trappatoni is being lined up for the summer. Read it on the Teletext (newspaper rumours).

Peter Reid, indeed :eek: :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
peter reid... :rolleyes:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Spurs put Trapattoni at top of shortlist
By Alan Nixon
07 January 2004

Tottenham Hotspur want the veteran Italian coach Giovanni Trapattoni to become their new manager, though the troubled Premiership club will have to wait until the end of the season in order to secure his services.

The former Milan and Juventus coach is in charge of Italy's national side and will stay committed to them until after the European Championship finals in Portugal next June.

However, Trapattoni has been sounded out about the move and Spurs insiders reveal that he has become the favourite to be appointed ahead of his relatively inexperienced compatriot Roberto Mancini, the manager of Lazio.

Trapattoni has won most of the game's major honours, lifting the European Cup and Champions' League. However, the chance to move to England _ even at his age _ is appealing. The silver-haired coach will be 65 in March, but admits that he fancies one final adventure in his marvellous career once his three-year stint in charge of the Azzurri is over.

Contact has been made and Tottenham have now put Trapattoni at the top of their list of potential candidates, but they will have to hope that David Pleat steers them clear of relegation.

The caretaker manager would revert to his old role as the director of football once a first-team manager is brought in, but Pleat is being allowed to move for players to stave off fears of relegation. He is interested in Nottingham Forest's Andy Reid and the Leeds United goalkeeper, Paul Robinson. He has already signed Michael Brown from Sheffield United.

However, Pleat is resigned to losing Frédéric Kanouté to Mali's African Nations Cup squad. Spurs expect a decision from the player today, but Pleat said: "You cannot, in the end, go against a man's will. We want him to stay because we are fighting to improve our position, but we should not be relying on one man.

"Let me tell you that Kanouté is a gentleman, a Muslim and an honourable person," he added. "He has said to me, 'I am not a boy. I am a man. You have to respect my feelings' _ and I do respect his feelings."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/tottenham/story.jsp?story=478714

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jemster said:
Dude, there's still another 3 months for April 1st ;)
killjoy:fero: :fero: :fero:

but they're getting better :D I actually did look on all Spurs sites I knew when I first read it :eek:

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
I'm guessing they got him (Peter Reid) confused with the lad we are trying to sign from Forest.

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a good one though imo.

Did you see the comments made by the fans on the bottom half of the link to the story? :D

One was called suicidal_spurs_fan :howler:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
:howler:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Hodgson wants Spurs job

Roy Hodgson has admitted he would like to take over at Tottenham. "Spurs are a big club, and if they decide that I'm the man for them then I would be very flattered," said the former Inter Coach. "It's a bit like asking me if I was interested in coaching Juventus." Hodgson is currently managing the UAE national side.

channel4

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Trap confirms Spurs link Thursday 8 January, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni is seriously interested in becoming the next Spurs boss, according to reports.

Trap was linked with the position yesterday and now the London Evening Standard has revealed that initial talks have started.

"I think there is a possibility to do this transfer," stated Trap¡¦s advisor Claudio Vigorelli. "We are working with Spurs on this."

A source close to Vigorelli also seemed to confirm that Trap is the club¡¦s number one target for the new season.

"Spurs are very keen on Trapattoni but he wants to remain focused on Italy's European Championship campaign," the source told the Standard.

"He is interested in the position and I understand from Claudio that they have spoken to the chairman and director of football David Pleat."

It is reported that Spurs chief Daniel Levy has already spoken to the Azzurri Coach on two occasions.

Trap has admitted that he will quit the national side after Euro 2004 and is keen for a new challenge.

It was initially believed that he would be heading back to Germany after a successful spell at Bayern Munich in the past.

However, Spurs now seem to be in pole position even if they have also been linked with PSV¡¦s Gus Hiddink, Martin O¡¦Neill of Celtic and Lazio¡¦s Roberto Mancini.

channel4 :eek:

==============

Tottenham want Trapattoni answer by weekend
tribalfootball.com - January 8, 2004

Tottenham have given Italy coach Giovanni Trapattoni a deadline to decide if he wants to manage the club next season.
The Independent says Spurs want a commitment from Trapattoni by the end of the week.

Talks between the Spurs chairman, Daniel Levy, and the veteran Italian coach's advisers are so well advanced that they hope to have a definitive answer in the next few days. The 64 year-old is keen, but yet to give a verbal commitment.

Levy is convinced if the new manager's identity is assured, then that will inspire the players to play for their futures.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Trapattoni to Spurs?

By Grozza
Date: 8/1/2004

Giovanni Trapattoni, the Italian national team coach, one of the greats of European football is the Tottenham's prime target to...

Your Location: Home > Latest News

Trapattoni to Spurs?
By Grozza for THEspursweb.com

Giovanni Trapattoni, the Italian national team coach, one of the greats of European football is the Tottenham's prime target to replace David Pleat as Manager according to the Evening Standard.

Trapattoni's Milan-based adviser, Claudio Vigorelli claims that Spurs were in contact with his client over the job. "I think there is a possibility to do this transfer. We are working with Spurs on this," he said.

A source close to Vigorelli also endorsed Spurs's interest: "Spurs are very keen on Trapattoni but he wants to remain focused on Italy's European Championship campaign. He is interested in the position and I understand from Claudio that they have spoken to the chairman and David Pleat."

Trapattoni's salary with the Italian FA is believed to be only around one million euros a year and he would earn at least double that if Spurs offer him the equivalent of what Glenn Hoddle's salary of around ?.25million was.

Daniel Levy has met Trapattoni and spoken to him at least twice, initially because Levy wanted advice on how a continental-style coaching model, with both a first team coach and director of football in David Pleat, could possibly work in the Premier League.

================

Spurs Keep Quiet About Trap
Latest News | News Archive

Trapattoni: Tottenham target? (AFP)
01/08/2004. Tottenham Hotspur are saying nothing about the speculation that they have targeted Italian national coach Giovanni Trapattoni as their next manager.

Trapattoni's agent has claimed that Spurs have held talks with the coach who led Italy to this summer's European Championships.

A Tottenham spokesman said: "We are making no comment on any speculation regarding a managerial appointment."

Spurs' director of football, David Pleat, and first-team coach, Chris Hughton, have been in charge of the side since Glenn Hoddle was sacked in September, six games into the current season.

The club climbed out of the Premiership's bottom three on Wednesday night with an emphatic 4-1 win over Birmingham City at an appreciative White Hart Lane.

Trapattoni's agent Claudio Vigorelli met FIGC, Italian football's ruling body, on Thursday morning, prompting rumours that he may be negotiating his departure from the Azzurri.

Spurs would presumably want Trapattoni to take over as team coach immediately, but they would probably find it difficult to persuade him not to see through what he has started with Italy at the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal.

However, although he is one of Europe's most successful coaches, Trapattoni is believed to be on a salary with the FIGC of around 'only' ?00,000 a year.

Glenn Hoddle was reportedly paid ?.5 million a year by Spurs, suggesting that Trap could double his money with a move to North London.

He certainly has a CV to admire ?one that makes him the most successful coach in Italian football.

His honours include seven Serie A titles, one European Cup, three Uefa Cups, the European Cup Winners' Cup, the European Super Cup and the World Club Cup ?achieved with a host of different clubs.

He was also coach for a while at Bayern Munich, where he won the Bundesliga title.

soccerage

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Carson35 said:
Hodgson wants Spurs job

Roy Hodgson has admitted he would like to take over at Tottenham. "Spurs are a big club, and if they decide that I'm the man for them then I would be very flattered," said the former Inter Coach. "It's a bit like asking me if I was interested in coaching Juventus." Hodgson is currently managing the UAE national side.

channel4
Don't panic lads, he's obviously on a wind-up.

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Jemster said:
He has funny looking ears... :howler:
So does Will Smith...;)

I like Peter Reid I like his management style...:) He would whip the tottenham players into shape I think. :)

·
Registered
59,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GaGa said:
I like Peter Reid I like his management style...:) He would whip the tottenham players into shape I think. :)
Reid is from the old school of English managers like Kevin Keegan and Bobby Robson. Guys who are nice guys, like to keep a happy dressing room harmony and are good motivatiors but it doesn't work in the long run as we are seeing now with Keegan and Reid too at Sunderland. First season it goes fine, the players are chuffed to be managed by these guys but their weaknesses become evident in the following seasons.

Reid is tactically inept. His tactics at Sunderland were basically:

Plan A: 2 wingers (Klibane and co) cross to big Niall who leaps above everyone else and knocks the ball down to Kevin Phillips. IT brought him success in his first 2 seasons but when opposing premiership teams had worked it out he reverted to:

Plan B: No wingers. Employ your defensive midfielders to hit long balls to big Niall or when injured, Kevin Phillips. Didn't work as we saw with the results and he unfortunately didn't have a plan C.

Reid, Keegan and co's tactics are way too basic for todays game imo. and surely our board will see that too!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts