Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has praised our Three Rs - Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho Gaucho; honourable mention has been made of Roberto Carlos and Cafu; but almost nobody gives the deserved credit to one of Brazil's key players, the most efficient in his position on this World Cup.

I'm talking about Gilberto Silva, our defensive midfielder. :)

FIFA's statistics show his efficiency: In 5 games, Gilberto committed the grand total of 10 fouls. An impressive average of 2 fouls per game - amazing, considering that during the first four of those matches he was Brazil's single defensive midfielder, holding the fort behind Juninho and Ronaldinho Gaucho. :eekani:
Not only that: He also hold the first place for stolen balls, with a whopping 38 balls stolen on those 5 matches. :dazed:

And NO cards of any color whatsoever.

I believe the media will continue to spotlight Ronaldo and Rivaldo, and always look for Roberto Carlos' latest explosive statement. :rolleyes: But Gilberto must be remembered for his reliability. Emerson will have to struggle to get back his place in he squad... :cool:

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
garrincha, i want to let you know, not everyone has failed to notice gilberto silva. i said after the turkey game that gilberto silva IS EXCELLENT!

the guy came into the world cup starting lineup with no notice at all, basically right before the first game. not only that, but he was replacing the captain of the team. and we all know that emerson is felipao's favorite player, and felipao often built the team around emerson.

gilberto silva came right into the team and did a better job than emerson ever could. he make EXCELLENT tackles that win the ball, not the kind of tackles just meant to hurt people and stop the play. he is able to win the ball and get rid of it immediately. and this has helped brazil play attacking football, because the team doesn't have to keep stopping to take free kicks in midfield. instead, the ball flies through midfield.

most of the time, people don't even notice gilberto silva because he's so good and so quiet in the midfield. but i really believe that ronaldo and rivaldo would not be making headlines and scoring 5 goals each if we didn't have gilberto silva in midfield. gilberto has allowed the more creative players (rivaldo, juninho, ronaldinho) to think only about running with the ball, finding spaces, attacking. with emerson in the lineup, those creative players spend half the time waiting for the other team to take free kicks in midfield after emerson fouls.

i LOVE gilberto silva. for me, he is one of the most important players in the starting 11.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Garrincha,

I have noticed this guy and praised him earlier. I agree with everything you said about him. I hope he has long future with the Selecao.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
I told you before teh world cup Garrincha, that he is 100000 miles better than Emerson. He has game vision, brilliant pass, good dribbling skills and when he tackles he wins the balls and he does not foul. He's the complete opposite of what Emerson is!:D

Gilberto Silva is the perfect example of how a "mineiro"plays...quiet just eating through the edges!

And i even said that God blessed us...and he surely did....after all he is BRAZILIAN!;) :D :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts