Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil's Amauri opts to play int'l soccer for Italy

By Anthony Sormani, Special to SI.com, Goal.com

Brazilian striker Amauri has confirmed that he has opted to play his international football for Italy, and will be available for selection for the 2010 World Cup campaign.

The Brazilian-born star is undoubtedly one of the best strikers in Serie A, and has been waiting for an Italian passport for several months now.

As the 27-year-old has never been capped by Brazil, this leaves him eligible to play for the Azzurri once he obtains his Italian nationality.

Amauri, who has recently joined Juventus from Palermo, will obtain his passport before next season, and he has now confirmed that he has chosen to represent the Azzurri.

"It is a shame, as I think I did well and deserved [Brazil Coach] Dunga's consideration," said Amauri. "I cannot wait for bureaucracy to run its course. It is true, I gave my priority to the Seleção before, but I am also proud to represent Italy.

"Donadoni said wonderful things about me, whereas I never heard from Dunga. Brazil remains a dream, while Italy is a fantastic reality and I would have loved to play in Euro 2008. I think if my passport had come through a month ago, the coach would've called me."

Amauri also spoke of his aim to play for Italy at the 2010 World Cup, and declared his support for the Azzurri ahead of Monday's Euro 2008 opener with Holland.

"I hope to play the World Cup in South Africa. Luca Toni and myself wouldn't make a bad pairing," he stated. "Am I cheering on Italy in the European Championship? Of course! I hope Alessandro Del Piero or Toni can win the top scorer title, too."

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Its a credit to Brasil's ability to produce good players i guess you have to say. Interesting that theres at least 5 Brasilian players featuring and playing well at the Euro's right now.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
I doubt Italy will low their levels and use argies or brazilians in their attempts to win World Cups from us. That would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
I forgot only Italy and Brazil play for the WC every 4 years JCamilo...thanks for that information.

Anyway Amauri is continuing to posture for both sides. Shocked he cant even get a call up to Brazil though...He does score goals even if it is not for a CL contender.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Ah, well. That's a pity, Amauri should've been given a chance in the NT. But it's not like he's the first to do this... Mazzola did it in the 60s. IIRC, in Italy he was known as Altafini. But of course it was a very different story then.

What I wonder is, doesn't this kind of thing bother Italian fans? Not that it's an Italian thing, far from it - doesn't this kind of thing bother German, Spanish or Polish fans? It's a worldwide trend, and the logical progression of it is that someday an European NT will have large contingents of naturalized foreigners, like clubs today. I mean - if Amauri does become an Italy player, they'll already have two south americans in their team. How long before they have five or six? Look at Italy's futsal team and you may get a glimpse of dread things to come.

Or not. :D

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Im sure its irritating for many...But if the player has decided to accept another country as his own he must be able to represent that country in sport..Its weird to think that a person who has no Italian blood can be starting for Italy in the WC, but if he has lived in the country for a while and has citizenship then how can he be looked at any different and not be able to represent the country. He will obviously be looked at different by some and might be hated by some but it does not make it wrong at all...This is a game....not some holy king divine right bullshit that people make it out to be. Maybe if Italy goes to war and Amuari defends the country in the battlefield as well as the football field people will finally shut up. But then that would just be going overboard to prove some ignorant people wrong.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Ah, well. That's a pity, Amauri should've been given a chance in the NT. But it's not like he's the first to do this... Mazzola did it in the 60s. IIRC, in Italy he was known as Altafini. But of course it was a very different story then.

What I wonder is, doesn't this kind of thing bother Italian fans? Not that it's an Italian thing, far from it - doesn't this kind of thing bother German, Spanish or Polish fans? It's a worldwide trend, and the logical progression of it is that someday an European NT will have large contingents of naturalized foreigners, like clubs today. I mean - if Amauri does become an Italy player, they'll already have two south americans in their team. How long before they have five or six? Look at Italy's futsal team and you may get a glimpse of dread things to come.

Or not. :D
Ha, every national team should have eleven South Americans playing for them. :D

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Ha, every national team should have eleven South Americans playing for them. :D
It probably sucks for the local players, though. Any good spanish midfielder who plays in Marcos Senna's position and wasn't called to the Euro has to feel somewhat betrayed by the system. Not to mention the Polish players who were discarded like clipped toenails the minute Roger Guerreiro was given a passport.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
It is a way for them to fell 5 times world champions, Gar.
Imagine, Italy is doing it. Not like they never did it before. And People dare to argue if South America is or not the powerhouse of football and if the Euro is greater than the world cup, soon, the Euro will have even bolivians playing.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Well its not like anyone here has a better system. Thats why Jcam can only joke about it.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
Yes, I have a better system, what about not allowing players that clearly are not from that country and not only because they lived there for 5 years to pick the NT ? The guy went there when he was older than 18 years or something like this, playing for NT is a honor, much more for Italy, and this is ridiculous. The Day Brazil do something similar you can mock us, but so far we can mock the pathetic tatic.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
Brasil better NEVER EVVVVVVVVVVVVVER do this... it would be a freakin crime!!

This should be very embarassing for Italians if you ask me....Amuri didnt even choose Italy as his first choice, its just because Brasil wasnt there to pick him. Sloppy seconds as they say here in america...that what italy is to Amuri. You can tell where his heart is.

There should be a polygraph test to determine what country a player would first choose, if the answer is Brasil, their naturalised NT should not allow him to play

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Yes, I have a better system, what about not allowing players that clearly are not from that country and not only because they lived there for 5 years to pick the NT ? The guy went there when he was older than 18 years or something like this, playing for NT is a honor, much more for Italy, and this is ridiculous. The Day Brazil do something similar you can mock us, but so far we can mock the pathetic tatic.
Oh you do..great system and so organized..how about 5 yrs and 2 months...what about 4 yrs and 10 months...when you get your facts straight maybe Fifa and the rest of the world will reconsider what makes a person a Citizen of a country :howler: .So you mock all you want on xtratime.org if it makes you feel superior at football...You didnt need Italy trying to see if Amuari wants to play with them to have your ego inflated about the game...Football is what people think about when Brazil comes up..You should know this seeing as you started your little joke by talking about how Italy wants to take the Cup from BRAZIL...like its yours on name alone.. But again...why try to explain something thats clear as day if all you are gonna talk about is mocking a tactic...:howler:

Now obviously i do not live in Italy...im sure italians in that country might have a totally different opinion and come up with all this pride and honor shit your talking about...but the man is a CITIZEN OF THAT COUNTRY....get over yourself...its football.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Brasil better NEVER EVVVVVVVVVVVVVER do this... it would be a freakin crime!!

This should be very embarassing for Italians if you ask me....Amuri didnt even choose Italy as his first choice, its just because Brasil wasnt there to pick him. Sloppy seconds as they say here in america...that what italy is to Amuri. You can tell where his heart is.

There should be a polygraph test to determine what country a player would first choose, if the answer is Brasil, their naturalised NT should not allow him to play
Sloppy seconds...It would be sloppy seconds if Brazil actually ever tried to cap him. They did not...He has lived in Italy for a while and is eligible...Again as i said in the first post he is just posturing b/c he was probably talking to an Italian newspaper and b/c he wants to play International football and it does not matter if its Brazil or Italy...So even if Brazil is his first choice its not his only in his mind so how Brazilian is he really now??? :howler:

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
Oh you do..great system and so organized..how about 5 yrs and 2 months...what about 4 yrs and 10 months...when you get your facts straight maybe Fifa and the rest of the world will reconsider what makes a person a Citizen of a country :howler: .So you mock all you want on xtratime.org if it makes you feel superior at football...You didnt need Italy trying to see if Amuari wants to play with them to have your ego inflated about the game...Football is what people think about when Brazil comes up..You should know this seeing as you started your little joke by talking about how Italy wants to take the Cup from BRAZIL...like its yours on name alone.. But again...why try to explain something thats clear as day if all you are gonna talk about is mocking a tactic...:howler:

Now obviously i do not live in Italy...im sure italians in that country might have a totally different opinion and come up with all this pride and honor shit your talking about...but the man is a CITIZEN OF THAT COUNTRY....get over yourself...its football.
My system, which system ? In my opinion something like the majority of tghe player life spent in the country that he wants to play, not 5 years in 27. That is ridiculous and If Italians do not care about it, that is their problem. It only shows how their breeding system is not working because the invasion of outsiders - not because they are outsiders but because thr greedy "buy anything and everything" is slowly destroying them.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
You have already made it clear how its about honor or repsect...whatever you want to say.

But the fact is that the man is a Citizen of the country...Now i heard about Poland's president granting one of your players citizenship like right before the Euro and that might be a little sketchy..But if the MAN(try not to think of them as only football players) has lived int he country long enough to become a Citizen and does then he has every right to play for the Country if his native country does not need or want him to play for theirs.

I respect totally what you are saying but my opinion does not change on the matter...he has EVERY RIGHT TO PLAY FOR ITALY...If he scores on Brazil im sure it would probably be a huge moment in the guys life and only then would he understand if he made the right choice but it is his to make...dont mock it.

·
Administrator
30,813 Posts
I think Cafu and Dida are also citzens of Italy. You can have dual citzenship - which is the case of Amauri - and you cann't play for two teams. If he goes to england in 4 years he will be able to play for england, and there goes. I am not going against a legislation, clearly slippery about the subject and I will mock it for ever, not him, he is just smart, but the NT that goes so low.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
So a WHOLE COUNTRY can accept him as a CITIZEN but its the NT of the country that lowers themselves by taking him on the team ??? I think you put the cart before the horse.

edit

i respect your opinion like i said...but im just of the idea that its where u are at and how you feel that matters..Now we share the same opinion on that but its a case where you should take pride that you are producing these great players...Not mock other teams for naturalizing willing persons if they accept the country...

But when we continue again...its about whats his first choice and all that....hes only doing it b/c he cannot make his first team..hes doing it for money..all these things that are said but the truth of it is that Italy probably dont need these players b/c they have a great history of football but they are willing to accept him and that is great really when you think about it in a bigger way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts