Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santos: Tabata Eager To Play For Japan

Just before the regular press conference given by a selection of Santos players every Friday, new midfielder Rodrigo Tabata (ex-Goiás) spend some conspicuous time lost in conversation with a rare sight at Santos: a reporter who’d come all the way from Japan to interview the player.

The player was recently praised by current Japan boss Zico, and, quite naturally for any footballer, is bowled over by the prospect that he could suddenly be playing at a World Cup finals – in the blue of Japan rather than the Brazilian Canarinha.

For that to happen, Rodrigo Tabata, descendent of Japanese immigrants, will have to put his Japanese nationalisation on the fast track, a step made easier by the fact that his surviving grandparents were the migrants – and are in possession of all the necessary documentation.

“It’s logical that if there’s a chance of things going through smoothly I’m raring to go. I found out about Zico’s kind words and I strongly feel that a professional football player should never rule out the possibility of playing a World Cup finals” he explained, reining in the emotions.

Tabata is well aware that any chance in the seleção is microscopic – even in future. “My original aim was to prove myself a good candidate for the seleção, but the problem is that Brazil is always churning out new stars” added the player that Santos fans have nicknamed ‘The Samurai’.
About him

Bonizzoni said:
Tabata plays at Santos and he's a play-maker,a very good player.He's half-japanese and Zico talked good about him,so he talked he would try to became japanese and join Japan NT.

Well,he seems some type of "Japanese Aílton version",since he would try it only to join Japan NT and play Would Cup :D
Bonizzoni said:
Hm,I don't know.He's at same level as good players like Ricardinho (Brazil NT player,sub) and maybe even Alex (Fenerbahçe,Turkey).He could make a fantastic duo with Nakamura...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Sounds promising...Is he really as good as Alex?? If he is then Japan has a really quality player on their hand, and what position does he play? Japan are desperate for a quality striker, if they get one they will be a contender in the World Cup in my view...

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
But then again there is that thing that he was not a part of the team that qualified to the World Cup and all of sudden gets brought in to the squad...It might upset some of the other players that play, and I think he is some sort of a playmaker, and that means that one the japanese midfield stars have to give up their place in the team...

·
Registered
251 Posts
i know him, i thought(and heard) he was driving for Brasil NT's jersey, not Japan NT.
i don't think he is a pure striker though he scored eight goals for his former club last year.
but japan should get him if he wanna join japan NT.
any proved players would be welcome if they have japanese blood or love japan.
he is still young, can play until 2010 World cup.

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/hochi/soccer/index.htm

according to the japanese article,
he was named to the Brasilian league team of the year by a brasilian paper in 2005

Santos are a big club in brasil, Robinho(real madrid) played for

·
Registered
933 Posts
whatthehell said:
Which Japanese-Brazilian player is better, Sandro Hiroshi or Tabata?

Sandro has some U21 international caps for Brazil.

Tabata is a million times better than Sandro Hiroshi.

Sandro Hiroshi is just an average player who could never succeed at Brazilian big teams.

They play in different positions though: Rodrigo Tabata is an attacking midfielder while Sandro Hiroshi is a striker.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Japanese Article

He said that he would like to play for Japan again.
His squad number in Santos is “10” which Pele was wearing and his manager, Luxemburgo who is ex-Real Madrid's manager praised him.

I hope he moved to J-League so that he acquires Japanese nationality.
He could do it easily just because he is of Japanese descent.

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
Tbh, I've read about the subject and read things on different boards. It would take years for him to actually aquire Japanese citizenship. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts