Xtratime Community banner

Brazil X England, final game at Wembley

494 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Ze da Fiel 
G
#1 ·
Judging by the way Brasil came out of Wales (shaken, not stirred) I think they will play very differently than v Wales. They will be more agressive from the start, they will be more determined. England's only hope is to do what Wales did, and that is play a very physical and tight marking game. You do not give talented players space to work with. The key to this game will be ball movement. Brasil must avoid midfield turnovers, which will lead to counter-attacks (Owen, Macca), while still pushing the ball forward into the heart of the defence, and hope the get England forget about their gameplan, and to focus on Brasil's. If England's defence start reacting to Brasil offence, then Brasil will win the game. If England play physical and make Brasil's offence react to their defence and counter-attack, then England will at least draw, and they have an excellent chance of winning.

Prediction: Rivaldo goes nuts; Brasil wins 2 - nil.

#2 ·
i saw the game. i never thought i would say this in my life, but BRAZIL IS GETTING BORING!!!

why is cesar sampaio in the team? and aldair? and antonio carlos?

why does brazil make so many passes back to the goalkeeper when it has offensive superstars like roberto carlos, rivaldo, cafu, denilson, franca, etc.? i'm getting tired of being disappointed by this team.

brazil should always attack, attack, attack. it seems that these guys suddenly forget how they used to play when they were kids! on the streets of copacabana and ipanema and santa tereza, brazilians don't pass the ball back to the goalkeeper. instead they use their skills to try something crazy to make a goal. the guys who played for brazil against england should be ashamed and embarrassed.

to me, only franca looked good. he scored a goal and had a couple of nice shots in the second half. i have to watch the game again, but here's a quick rating of some players:

dida: i saw him make a save, the first one in four matches for brazil!
aldair: too old. a good defender, but he is taking the place of a young guy.
antonio carlos: doesn't like to kick the ball, only likes to kick the other players.
ze roberto: does not know where the goal is, likes to dribble in circles.
emerson: a bit better than antonio carlos, but makes too many fouls.
franca: thank you, god, for sending us an exciting player while ronaldo is hurt.
roberto carlos: the best brazilian right now. but he should not have played; a young guy like silvinho should have been given a good chance for a whole game.
cafu: good again, but wasted brazil's best scoring chance in second half.
ronaldinho gaucho: MUST PLAY EVERY GAME BECAUSE HE SCORES, SCORES, SCORES AND IS EXCITING.
amoroso: a bum.
denilson: very exciting player, but he need someone to tell him exactly what to do with the ball. twice he had cafu wide open but kicked the ball into the seats!
luxemburgo: um burro! (a jackass!) why did he play sampaio and aldair instead of a couple of young guys who need experience for the next world cup? why did he play roberto carlos, who was tired?

this game sucked! brazil sucked! what a joke! this is the best team in the world? what a joke.

#3 ·
Brazil, England settle for exhibition tie

WEMBLEY, England (May 27, 2000 1:09 p.m. EDT http://www.sportserver.com) - Franca headed in his first goal in Brazilian colors in first-half injury time on Saturday to earn a 1-1 tie in an exhibition game with England at Wembley.

Michael Owen scored 39 minutes into the game for England in an encouraging return after a long injury layoff, and Franca's goal came off a corner kick from Rivaldo.

The game, played before 73,956 fans, was a tuneup for England for next month's European Championships. Action started 30 minutes late because of delays on underground trains.
-------------------------------
this story does not mention how much brazil sucked. they should have been booed!

G
#4 ·
First I would like to give my view on the game, then I'll comment what Falcao said...

My view:
Brazil again didn't play a good game. Rivaldo was ridiculous in this game and Ze Roberto is a fake, so the ball didn't get into the attackers, just when França went to the midfield to take the ball.
The two central defenders again played crap. Antonio Carlos and Aldair should leave the team now. Silvinho, França and Dida played well. César Sampaio is another old player that should've never be called again.

My comments on Falcao:

First you have to consider one thing: Luxemburgo just called 1 guy from each Brazilian team because of our domestic competitions. So Vampeta, Alex, Ricardinho and many others were not there. Vampeta would play in the place of Cesar Sampaio.
Second thing: Luxemburgo is a little bit blind because he doesn't see that Aldair, AC, Sampaio, Denilson, Ze Roberto and some others are just regular players and we have many others better than them.

Just a note: the poor Brazilian children doesn't play soccer in the streets of Copacabana and Ipanema because those are beaches and are place of rich people. They play on the narrow streets of the favelas but never in Copacabana or Ipanema.
Another note: for you it's easy to attack attack attack attack attack but you know that if Brazil do it we'll lose the game. If you want to see us attacking get some videotapes from WC 58.

That's all

C ya

Thiago.

#5 ·
corinthiano, i know kids don't play football in copacabana and ipanema, but i used those names because most people in xtratime have never heard of the rosinha favela.

and i understand what you are saying about not attacking all the time. but brazilians are the most skillful players in the world, and there is no excuse for them to be making passes all the way back to dida. that is a sign that they are not intent on scoring -- all they want to do is hold the ball.

this team is getting really boring, man, and that's sad. if brazil is boring, then what about all the other VERY boring teams? the sport will die. it is more exciting in the seats than on the field when brazil is playing these days.

#7 ·
I haven't watched any Brazil matches since Copa America 99 because there is no TV broadcast, so I really really put a lot of hope in this match, and so the performance of the Brazilians disappoints me, maybe I've asked for too much. I could only tell myself that this is a friendly match, that's why it's a bit boring when they passed the ball around each other in the 2nd half. However, I think the 2nd half was better than the 1st half, at least they had more chances to attack and kept more possession, though there're many offsides. I'm happy to see that Franca played quite well, so Brazil would have more choices for the forwards, but the 2 central defenders Aldair and A.Carlos, Sampaio and Amoroso were sleeping, and I believe that Rivaldo could do much more better.

I don't know when I can see the performance of Brazil again, maybe a year later. Good luck to Brazil!!!

#8 ·
flashman,
we are not playing boring because it is a frienldy. that's the way we have been playing since LUXEMBURGO has taken the job. the only game we showed real football was agaisnt Argentina...all the other games the players just go on and say: "well we are the top players of the world and lets walk on the pitch tat will have an easy victory". Weel that's all crap, they are wearing a sacred shirt, if they are happy with their millions that they earn in Europe, stay in Europe, don't come to play for us, cause we don't need these idiots. We got enough talent in the Brazilian league to beat any team of the world.

Look at this team, just of our players taht play at home:

Dida

Beletti Roque Jr. Cacapa Athirson

VAmpeta Felipe

Marcelinho/Juninho Ricardinho

Edilson Romario

this team kicks anyone in the world...adn they'll play with pride :)

falcao, cesar samapio was called up because Vampeta is playing too much in Corinthians. He is a brilliant player, that never gives up.
Now for Aldair and that idiot Antonio Carlos they can all piss off!
I never thought I'd say this , but how I miss the Zagallo years! At least we played forward and not scarey football, comething that has nothing to do with us :(

------------------

#9 ·
yes, ze da fiel, BRAZIL IS PLAYING HORRIBLE, DISGUSTING FOOTBALL NOW.

i have seen almost every match (national and under-23) of brazil since before world cup 98. in those two years, brazil played beautiful football in probably 4 or 5 out of about 40 games!! i am telling the truth here.

in the world cup, the brazil 4 - chile 1 game was beautiful. it had some really good attacks from ronaldo, an amazing long run from rivaldo, a few incredible runs from roberto carlos, the excitement of denilson in the second half, and lots of good passing.

in the world cup brazil 1 - holland 1 and brazil 3 x denmark 2 games, there was some nice football, too, but only because holland and denmark did so much attacking and forced brazil to attack also.

in the confederations cup, brazil played like 1970 in the second half against germany, when ronaldinho gaucho was BRILLIANT and brazil scored 4 times.

in the pre-olympic qualifying, brazil-argentina had some nice moments, including a beatiful goal from alex.

the best game -- the only one i could compare with the classy play of 1982 -- was the brazil 4 x argentina 2 friendly. brazil had lost 2x0 a few days before in argentina and was playing at home. all brazil did was attack, attack, attack. all the players wanted to win at home and look good, and they did! there were lots of nice passes GOING TOWARD THE ARGENTINA GOAL. ronaldo was awesome, dribbling around everybody. rivaldo was incredible, with a nice bicycle kick. what a game!

but all the other games brazil has played in the last 2 years have been garbage. some of them, like the wembley game, were so bad that i wish i never saw them. the game on sunday was a wasted $20 for me on pay-per-view. what a joke. um grande fracasso!

brazil is making me sick. luxemburgo has to leave all these big players in europe and instead take the under-23 team all over the world! at least the young guys still remember how to play like brazilians.

#10 ·
Falcao ,
if you want to see some good brazilian football, get teh tape from this weekend games:
Sao Paulo 2 x 1 Corinthians :(
and
Flamengo 3x 3 Vasco

The Flamengo game, was totally BRILLIANT, it was a war, of tackiling tactics and skill :)

------------------
GAVIOES DA FIEL
Pelo Corinthians, com muito amor ate o fim.
THE WORLD IS OURS...NOW WE WILL CONQUER THE AMERICAS LIKE COLUMBUS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.