Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 6 54.5%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil will like to finish first while Costa Rica needs at least a draw to go through

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Una Corbata....oooops! Sorry What I meant was a TIE :smileani:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Brazil is in a great rhythm right now winning 2 games, Ronaldo is back on the scoresheet for the Selecao for the first time in like two years and they have now got a great squad finally put together with Big Phil. Cafu & Roberto Carlos the wing backs are leading the team, couldn't have had a better start to the tournament.

Just wait untill Ricardinho comes in the next game, he is expected to start and he'll link up excellent with Ronaldinho and Roni Gaucho will finally play in his true position besides Rivaldo & Ronaldo. I have a feeling Roberto Carlos has a slight injury from what Ze da fiel has said; so don't be surprised if he's the only one missing.

I've heard people say Brazil might not play for the win, I wouldn't bet on that one guys. Brazil are not that dumb to go into the second round not strong, Selecao have too much experience & are healthy enough to handle another game. 5 more games left and you don't think they are man enough to play each one? give me a break.

Cheers,
Paddle

·
Registered
765 Posts
DRAW - DRAW - DRAW!!!

Brasil happy - Costa Rica exstatic. Turkey furious.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Brazil going with subs!!!

Brazil going with subs!!!
Scolari said that his team will go on the field against Costa Rica with out Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cafu and any other starter who does not want to play, who wants to rest.
This angers me because it is not just hurting Turkey, but people paid their tickets to see these players. They are getting a hell a lot of money. This is also a discrimanotory decision. It says that we want Costa Rica to go on.
But Brazil has great players, even their bench is world class team. I hope they'll beat Costa Rica, but it looks like Scholari don't want them too.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Sadly, i see Brazil not taking the game serious like they did in 98, when Morocco was eliminated.

If that happens, i would really feel bad for Turkey, they simply have been robbed in this tournament :(

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Yellow cards could force changes for Brazil's next match

ULSAN, South Korea, June 10 (AFP)

Brazil are considering a number of changes to their side for the showdown with Costa Rica on Thursday in a bid to protect key players who have picked up yellow cards.
Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said that with his team already through to the last 16, he had to think about the consequences of the players being booked again which would force them out of the opening game of the knockout stage.
Paris Saint Germain midfielder Ronaldinho, AC Milan defender Roque Junior and Real Betis striker-cum-winger Denilson are all on one yellow card.
Ronaldinho and Roque Junior have been regular first team choices while Denilson has twice come on as a substitute.
At a training session Monday Edmilson played in Roque Junior's position and Ricardinho in place of Ronaldinho.
"We still have one more match ahead of us and we can still finish either first or second in the group," said Scolari.
"But we must remember that a player can be out for a game if they have two yellow cards. We have three players with two yellow cards."
Ronaldinho was booked for diving against China but Scolari said replays showed he had been fouled and called on FIFA to reverse the decision.
"I think having had Rivaldo punished after so much insistence, then Ronaldinho should not be punished," he said, referring to a 7,350 US dollar fine dished out to Rivaldo for faking an injury that resulted in a Turkish player being sent off.
"If you can punish by television then you can use television to take away a yellow card -- although at the same time I don't think this is good for referees."
If Brazil top Group C they will play the runner up of Group H in Kobe. Finishing second would land them a showdown with the winner of Group H in Miyagi.
Japan currently top Group H with four points from two games. Russia are second with three points from two games.
Scolari said Brazil already had scouts in Japan to report on their possible next round opponents.
"We are analysing the possible match-ups," he said. "We have people in Japan watching the games, but first I need to analyse what to do against Costa Rica."
Barca star Rivaldo said there would be no change in tactics against Costa Rica.
"We are going to play in the same way no matter that we are qualified," he said. "We want to be first in the group because that is going to give the team confidence for the round of 16. We, the players, are very conscious of this."
Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Cafu and Roberto Carlos trained separately from the rest of the Brazilian squad Monday morning as the South Americans were drilled on their passing skills.
A team spokesman said the experienced quartet prefered to spend time in the gym at the team hotel in this eastern industrial city rather than join the rest of the players at the Mipo Field.
"They have no problems, it's just that the team doctor decided they would benefit more from a physical workout," a team spokesman said.
Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Cafu appeared for an afternoon workout in light drizzle at Mipo but Roberto Carlos was again absent.
Team doctor Jose Luis Runco said Roberto Carlos felt a twinge in his lower left leg after Brazil's 4-0 drubbing of China on Saturday.
"He's played a lot of matches this season and it's a bit sore but it's nothing to worry about," said Runco. Junior played in his position during training Monday.
The only other injury worry is Kleberson who turned his right ankle Monday, although Runco again said it was not a concern.

Yellow Cards ARE a Valid deterrent for saving those players !!! :cool:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Listen up guys, will you quit bashing Brazil? If the Turks really deserved to go on then they should have won the game with Costa Rica? stop relying on other teams to get the job done for you, alright? Jesus christ!

First off, Ricardinho will be put in for Ronaldinho. Edmilson will be in for Roque Junior. Belletti & Junior in for Cafu and Roberto Carlos. Edilson & Luizao in for Ronaldo & Rivaldo. All of these changes are reasonable so stop complaining either from yellow cards or resting players who have just recovered from injurys. Let the Selecao do their thing and they will beat Costa Rica without the big names, OK?

Cheers,
Patrick

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Ronaldinho and Roberto Carlos Expected to Sit for Costa Rica Match
Costa Rica - Brazil | News Archive

Edilson will get his chance against Costa Rica.
06/11/2002. Having secured passage to the second phase, Luiz Felipe Scolari will give Edilson a starting spot in place of Ronaldinho for Brazil's final first-round match against Costa Rica.

Edilson will win out over Corinthians midfielder Ricardinho, who was the late replacement when Emerson went down with a shoulder injury but whom Scolari thinks needs a little more time to adapt.

Also kept out will be Roberto Carlos for precautionary reasons. The Real Madrid star already has missed a training session due to some pain in his calf. Junior will replace Roberto Carlos.

The expected starting lineup for Thursday's match is:
Marcos (GK), Lucio, Anderson Polga, Edmilson, Cafu, Gilberto Silva, Juninho, Junior, Edilson, Ronaldo and Rivaldo.

soccerage

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
World Cup Preview: Costa Rica v Brazil
Costa Rica - Brazil | News Archive

Brazil has slipped in under the radar, avoiding the drama that toppled France and Argentina (Allsport)
06/12/2002. BACKGROUND
Brazil already have qualified from Group C and while Costa Rica are three points up on Turkey at the moment, Los Ticos could do themselves and their fans a huge favor by pulling out a result against the South Americans.

A draw would put Costa Rica through to the second phase and a draw also would allow Brazil to maintain their status as group leaders, but while the result would be suitable for both you can bet Costa Rica coach Alexandre Guimaraes would love to defeat his birth-nation, Brazil. Despite being born in Brazil, Guimaraes played for Costa Rica in Italia '90. Lose, however, and Costa Rica's hopes of advancing may flicker out, because Turkey is a good bet to win over a brave Chinese squad.

Waiting in the wings for the top two finishers from Group C are the top two from Group H, which could end up being any of the four teams in that group. However, with Japan currently on top and a strong bet to maintain that top spot, Brazil and Costa Rica know how important it can be to avoid playing the host nation in the World Cup.

LATEST TEAM NEWS
BRAZIL
Roberto Carlos, Ronaldinho Gaucho and Roque Junior will be on the bench for Scolari against Costa Rica. Roberto Carlos will allow his troublesome calf some extended recuperation time while Scolari will not risk Ronaldinho and Roque Junior picking up their second yellows and a silly suspension from the opening game of the second phase.

COSTA RICA
Guimaraes is likely to stick with his formation and players from the 1-1 come-from-behind draw with Turkey. A similar result would be most welcome against the Brazilians, as it would assure Costa Rica of a spot in the second phase.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
BRAZIL: Ronaldo
Ronaldo has netted in two straight World Cup matches and he would love to continue that scoring streak against Costa Rica. The Inter man has his eyes on the Golden Boot, but he will be hard-pressed to contend for that honor if Scolari continues to take him off the pitch every 70 minutes. Look for Ronaldo to make the most of his opportunities in the first half.

COSTA RICA: Paolo Wanchope
Wanchope has yet to score any of Costa Rica's three goals thus far, and what better time to score his first World Cup goal than against mighty Brazil and in the most important match for the Caribbean nation in 12 years.

POSSIBLE STARTING LINEUPS:
BRAZIL: Marcos (GK), Lucio, Anderson Polga, Edmilson, Cafu, Junior, Juninho, Gilberto Silva, Edilson, Ronaldo, Rivaldo.

COSTA RICA: Lonnis (GK), Marin, Wright, Martinez, Lopez, Solis, Castro, Centeno, Gomez, Wallace, Wanchope.

PREVIOUS ENCOUNTERS:
Brazil got past a determined Costa Rican side 1-0 in Italia '90 thanks to a goal by Muller. Despite Brazil's victory, both nations advanced to the second phase.

soccerage

·
International
6,724 Posts
39 Minutes of the 1st half

Brazil already leading 3-0! 2 Goals by Ronaldo and one beautiful goal by Edmilson!

As I am typing, Costa Rica just scored! It's Wanchope :cool:

Brazil 3 Costa Rica 1

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I'm not seeing a bright future for Costa Rica. Turkey is up 2-0 while Costa Rica is 3-1 down :depress:

Let's hope Costa Rica can play a good 2nd half like they did against the Turks.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The difference has been the effectiveness of Brazil in attack. Costa Rica has had as many clear chances as Brazil but they have miss them when Brazil has scored them.

·
Registered
25,644 Posts
Costa Rica's defence seems scared when the Brazilians get close. The first two goals could have been avoided. The third was a beauty by Edmilson, a defender! :dazed: Oh.. and Rivaldo hit the post once :cool:

·
International
6,724 Posts
56th Minute

Goal Costa Rica! Ronald Gomez scored! If the scores remain as it is in this game, and the other game in Group C then Costa Rica will qualify with Brazil.

Brazil 3 Costa Rica 2

·
International
6,724 Posts
64th Mjnute

Goal Brazil! Rivaldo scores! and another goal by Junior! ;)

Brazil 5 Costa Rica 2

Costa Rica with a really small chance of qualifying now.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Well a predictable result. Brazil back to its best in the WC. :)

I see one problem for brazil though.:( Their defence is crap. I don't know how they are going to cope with more organised attack or play.:rolleyes:

Anyway good attacking football.

Bye

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Cosa Rica were unlucky and Brazil were poor at the back. They will struggle against better strikers, as Costa Rica spooned about 4 really good chances.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts