Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil (AP) -- How does a developing country become a world soccer superpower, a standard of excellence and the winner of a record five World Cups? Ask the professor.

Brazil plans to teach the world the finer points of football at the Brazilian Soccer School, a practical and online course offered by the Federal University of Northern Parana, or Unopar, and the Brazilian Soccer Confederation (CBF).

The faculty is top-of-the-line, led by Carlos Alberto Parreira, the coach of Brazil and Cup champion in 1994; and veteran Mario Zagallo, the five-time World Cup champion as a player, coach and supervisor, and known as the Professor.

"At first it will be a school for the instruction of coaches,'' Parreira said in an interview on the CBF Web site. "In a second phase, we will export our own model, our know-how, and people from other continents will come to see how we work. We'll be the best, on and off the field.''

Funded jointly by the CBF and FIFA, the world's governing soccer body, the course will "disseminate the Brazilian school'' of soccer to would-be coaches at home and abroad, Parreira said.

"We always had the best soccer, the best players,'' he said. "We have to codify, format our teachings. With this, Brazilian soccer will overshadow Europeans off the field as well. And there will be a 'democratization' of information to train our coaches.''

A meticulous planner and strategist, Parreira wants to erase the impression that Brazil is a soccer power simply because it's so big -- larger than the United States -- with a population of 183 million.

"This is the result of a project that I wished had existed in Brazil 38 years ago, when I took part in my first soccer course in Germany,'' Parreira said.

The classes are to start in April at Unopar in Londrina, about 730 kilometers (450 miles) southwest of Rio de Janeiro, and will be broadcast online and by satellite to reach a wider audience in all 26 Brazilian states and the capital of Brasilia, the CBF said.

"Courses taught jointly with Unopar reach some 20,000 students in Brazil through innovative Long-Distance Teaching,'' said CBF president Ricardo Teixeira. "That's the audience the Brazilian Soccer School will reach.''

Barbara Laffrichi, assistant dean of Unopar, said the basic course will cost around 150 reals (about US$58, ?44), and the revenue will be split between the school and the soccer confederation.

The school also will hold practical courses in soccer skills, conditioning, medical care and even refereeing at the Granja Comary practice grounds in Teresopolis, near Rio, where Brazil trains.

Soccer is a national passion in Brazil, which has dominated the sport for half a century.

Brazil was the first country to win three World Cups -- in 1958, '62 and '70 -- and was awarded the Jules Rimet Cup for the achievement. That was the golden era of Brazilian soccer, and produced some of the top players ever to play the game, such as Pele, Garrincha, Didi, Gerson, and Nilton Santos.

After a long dry spell, Parreira led Brazil to its fourth title in 1994 with a less talented but better structured team, led by strikers Romario and Bebeto.

The fifth title came in 2002, and signaled the arrival of a new generation of Brazilian stars, with Ronaldo and Ronaldinho in the front line.

------

On the net: www.cbfnews.uol.com.br.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Cool article, Kaiserh. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
It sounds tempting, I widh I could attend some of the aulas, or at least read the textbooks, it will be a great way to improve my portugues and knowledge of football the brazilian way

Well, to sream os gratis

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sure, Brazil will give away its football secrets via distance learning, right? I look forward to seeing how the rest of the world will be imbued with the spirit and the environmental factors that make Brazilian football great. O well, at least someone in Brazil will make money out of this (nothing wrong with taking money away from gullible Europeans who think you can learn football from a book, of course). BTW, do you know there's a guy in UK/England who makes piles of money selling futebol de salao to the natives over there? You can fool some of the people all of the time.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
That guy is making money but he has some good ideas, football or futebol de Salao makes no difference when all the kids are indoors playing on their playstation 24/7 and eating fish and chips. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts