Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 12, 2005

West Yorkshire non-leaguers Garforth Town have announced that Romario will play for them next season.

Garforth have already had Brazilian World Cup star Socrates play for them this season and former Manchester United and Leeds star Lee Sharpe is also a regular.

Socrates turned out for Garforth earlier this season because of his links with Simon Clifford, the club owner.

Clifford, a former primary school teacher, runs a series of Soccer Schools in Brazil, as well as his involvement with Garforth, who play in Northern Counties East Division One.

Clifford was responsible for enticing Socrates, 50, to sign a one-month contract which saw him make his debut against Tadcaster in November 2004.

Romario is still playing top-flight football in Brazil and will move to Garforth next season.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Simon Clifford that guy has some interesting ideas, have you heard about soccertots. Training babys from 6 months. LOL sounds funny I know but you never know he could be on to something there.

Socrates says the guy is a genius. Don't know if he was paid to say that but he has some very interesting ideas like I said.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
It's really no different to the rest of the Over 35's playing football because they enjoy it :) nothing wrong with it IMO.

·
Registered
181 Posts
impossible....Romario is about to finish his career. He will finish it this year playing for Vasco. Maybe he goes to Garforth Town in 2006.

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
How is it not embarrassing that some of the greatest Brazilian players in history are playing in the english 10th divison,if they really wanted just to play Football,I am sure they could find a Brazilian club where they would play.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Lista said:
They just want to play football.
So what if they're not as good as they used to be? They're not embarrassing themselves in my eyes :neutral:

It's not a matter of just wanting to play football (especially in Romário's case). It's more a chance for them to get easy money than any other thing. .

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I think it's cool, not embarassing.

Brazilian legend Romario has confirmed his decision to turn out for non-League Garforth next season.

The former Barcelona striker, who was part of Brazil’s World Cup-winning side of 1994, has agreed a contract with the Northern Counties East League side.

He is expected to arrive in Yorkshire in August.

Romario, 39, has been turning out for Brazilian side Vasco da Gama.

He said: “I have promised Garforth that I will sign for them next season and that is what I intend to do.”

Copyright The Sun
Speaking exclusively to garforthtown.com, owner and manger of Garforth Town, Simon Clifford, expresses his delight as Romario confirms his move to The Marston's Stadium for the 2005/6 season:

"I am absolutely thrilled that we've been able to secure Romario as a player and coach for the 2005/6 season, getting him to come was a result of many week's preparation.

It has been a wonderful year at the club, we are currently top of the league, and it is vital we secure promotion.

We've had Lee (Sharpe), Socrates and now Romario to the club, and with Romario we have a current professional at Vasco de Gama, a World Player of the Year and a World Cup Winner. He will be a tremendous resource and figure of inspiration for all of the children involved with our organisation, and he will surely add to the field.

When you look at doing something like this on such a scale, you will see that it benefits many groups. Brazilian Soccer Schools players, SOCATOTS, our young International players, the Club's supporters and the players.

But in the main we bring the club and our organisation's ambitions to the national and international stage.

This is something that I want to keep doing year on year; keep getting promotions, keep pushing on, but also keep raising our image and profile as we progress. I want to keep the club exciting, inspirational and different.

I am truly delighted for all our staff and those associated with us that work so hard, our sponsors, partners and friends. We will now focus on the work in hand with our Brazilian Soccer Schools' players and SOCATOTS, and look forward to Romario arriving next year."

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Have you even read the information you ignorant cretin?

Those great players are helping Simon Clifford to achieve great things.

And if you don't mind, i'll value Romario's actions more than your spiteful words.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Will he ever quit playin :nasty:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
behave u 2

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Purger said:
No,I haven't,you english moron.
:rollani: :wallbang: :D :howler:

Those two legends of football are doing something very worthwhile to help children, try researching things before making your incorrect assumptions.

Sort of ironic that it's now you embarassing yourself don't you think? :jester:

:ass:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Some people...:rollani:

If you would take a moment of your time to read the information i've provided for you, you would see that Simon Clifford, manager of Garforth runs the ICFDS (International Confederation of futebol de salão). I'm fairly sure you'll be unaware of what this game is, so i'll give you a quick run down of that too shall I? :rollani:

Futebol de salão is played with a size 2, small heavy ball with very little bounce. The thinking behind it is to improve on the ball individual skills for youngsters before moving on to a bigger ball. You may be suprised to learn that both Socrates, Romario & of course many other Brazilian greats grew up with this form of football!

Fifa more or less abolished futebol de salão in the early 90's in favour of futsal, which is a bigger ball with more bounce. Socrates & Romario were so impressed with Clifford rescuing the game (which in their humble opinion is far superior to futsal) that they decided to help him out a little.

Clifford also runs 'soccatots' from which children as young as 6 months old can take part, a revelation according to Socrates. He now has 2 year olds with more individual skill than most adult professionals.

And of course in Britain he has a ball park figure of 150,000 youth players at his Brazilian soccer schools, with schools also around the world, all following his very successful coaching scheme.

Clifford also has a long term master plan involving his brazilian soccer schools, and the club he bought and manages (Garforth Town). Any clues as to what his plan might be yet??

Romario & Socrates are going there to influence & inspire where they can in the development of the cream from his brazilian-school pupils.

You may also be interested to know that Romario will be taking up a coaching role at Garforth!

·
Banned
12,611 Posts
Simba said:
Some people...:rollani:

If you would take a moment of your time to read the information i've provided for you, you would see that Simon Clifford, manager of Garforth runs the ICFDS (International Confederation of futebol de salão). I'm fairly sure you'll be unaware of what this game is, so i'll give you a quick run down of that too shall I? :rollani:

Futebol de salão is played with a size 2, small heavy ball with very little bounce. The thinking behind it is to improve on the ball individual skills for youngsters before moving on to a bigger ball. You may be suprised to learn that both Socrates, Romario & of course many other Brazilian greats grew up with this form of football!

Fifa more or less abolished futebol de salão in the early 90's in favour of futsal, which is a bigger ball with more bounce. Socrates & Romario were so impressed with Clifford rescuing the game (which in their humble opinion is far superior to futsal) that they decided to help him out a little.

Clifford also runs 'soccatots' from which children as young as 6 months old can take part, a revelation according to Socrates. He now has 2 year olds with more individual skill than most adult professionals.

And of course in Britain he has a ball park figure of 150,000 youth players at his Brazilian soccer schools, with schools also around the world, all following his very successful coaching scheme.

Clifford also has a long term master plan involving his brazilian soccer schools, and the club he bought and manages (Garforth Town). Any clues as to what his plan might be yet??

Romario & Socrates are going there to influence & inspire where they can in the development of the cream from his brazilian-school pupils.

You may also be interested to know that Romario will be taking up a coaching role at Garforth!
1) :)
2)I have heard about it,but thanks for explaining anyway.:)
5)Do you have clips of those 2 year old's?:D
7)To make them a premiership club.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Please remember to act respectfully towards each other, gentlemen. Treat other posters as you'd like to be treated, with civility.

And about the topic... I personally think Romario would gain more by retiring from pro football once and for all, but it's his life.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts