Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KUALA LUMPUR, May 23 (AFP)

Look for fireworks in the opening minutes of Brazil's World Cup games, technical director Antonio Lopez warned Thursday as he unveiled the side's "strike first and fast" plan.
"Brazil will try to score a goal immediately," Lopez said, setting a 15-minute guideline to be on the board.
The attacking play would not be at the expense of all defence, and Brazil "will have to ensure it does not take a goal in the first 15 minutes as it tries to score during that period."
Lopez dismissed talk that Brazil had an inherit weakness in defence.
"It was true in the 50s, 60s and 70s. It is no longer true now," he said.
Brazil arrived here Monday for the final leg of their pre-tournament build-up, a friendly against Malaysia Saturday.
They open their World Cup campaign against Turkey on June 3. China and Costa Rica are also in their first round group.
Lopez played down China as a threat, but said they had made considerable progress like other Asian sides in recent years.
"They have improved. They are in the same league with other strong Asian teams like South Korea, Japan, Iran and Kuwait," he said.

:eek:

·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ronaldo Scores First International Goal in 3 Years

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) -

Ronaldo scored his first international goal in three years Saturday as Brazil beat Malaysia 4-0 in its final match before the World Cup.

Ronaldo also set up the second goal for Juninho, who scored one minute after coming on as a substitute, before Denilson, with an individual goal, and Edilson completed the rout.

Although billed as a full international and watched by a crowd of around 40,000, the match effectively turned into a glorified training session as Brazil substituted its entire starting lineup in the second half.

Brazil, which opens its World Cup campaign against Turkey on June 3, will take heart from Ronaldo's goal and the fact that Rivaldo played his first game in a month after being plagued by a troublesome right knee.

The Barcelona forward played 63 fairly undistinguished minutes before being replaced by Edilson.

Ronaldo, whose last goal for Brazil was in the Copa America final against Uruguay in July 1999, finished off a move down the right when he slid the ball home in the 52nd minute.

Ronaldo also set up the second goal for Juninho eleven minutes later when he played a one-two which allowed the former Atletico Madrid and Middlesbrough player to run through the defense and place the ball beyond keeper Azmin Azram Abdul Aziz.

In the 73rd minute, Denilson burst away from the halfway line to score the third and Edilson made it 4-0 from close range five minutes later.

Ronaldo had threatened to break his duck in the first half but was thwarted three times by brilliant goalkeeping from Abdul Aziz.

Ronaldo's first effort came in the 20th minute when he shot on the turn from the edge of the area and saw his effort blocked by Abdul Aziz.

DENIED AGAIN

Six minutes later, the Inter Milan striker was denied again. Cafu pulled the ball back from the right and Ronaldo, near the penalty spot, hit the ball well but his effort was parried away by the goalkeeper.

He had his best chance in the 31st minute when he picked up a loose ball in the penalty area and dribbled past a defender only to see his shot blocked from close range.

Abdul Aziz also made two good saves to turn away headers by defender Lucio.

Brazil nearly went ahead in the second minute when a Ronaldinho corner was turned onto his own crossbar by Subri Sulong.

But after that ominous start, Malaysia, which has never come close to qualifying for the World Cup, put up a spirited first half display, even forcing a corner in the 35th minute, before being outclassed after the break.

:cool:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
brazil rulezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rivaldo could face Brazil axe

Tuesday, 28 May, 2002

Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has admitted that one member of his midfield could be dropped for their opener against Turkey on Monday.
He refused to say which player it was who was underperforming but rumours suggested it could even be star playmaker Rivaldo.

"I have to give chances to others, and I may change one player," Scolari said.

It is unlikely to be Emerson of AS Roma, the team's captain and one of Scolari's trusted leaders.

Player profile: Rivaldo
Nor is it likely to be Ronaldinho, Brazil's outsatnding player in recent games.

The other two midfield slots have been filled by Kleberson, of Brazil's national champions Atletico Paranaense, and Rivaldo.

Kleberson is not Scolari's first choice for the defensive midfield position previously held by Gerson, Falcao and Dunga.

The original starter was Gilberto Silva, who is now on the bench.

And in Tuesday's practice, Brazil practiced with Juninho Paulista in that position.

But there are doubts that the diminutive Juninho has the defense nous for the position.

If Scolari opts for a more naturally defensive midfield, he could go with veteran Vampeta in the position.

The Corinthians midfielder has the passing skills and the versatility to adapt to the task.

Which leaves Rivaldo, the 1999 FIFA Player of the Year, who has struggled on the national team.

Over the last two months he has also been sidelined by a knee problem, although Rivaldo has said he has now fully recovered.

"I feel recovered," said the Brazilian playmaker.

"If the coach calls me now I can play."

But at the end of Tuesday's practice, Scolari moved Rivaldo to the reserve team and gave the starting spot to Denilson, again outstanding in Brazil's recent games.

Scolari has admitted he is torn between giving Denilson a starting spot and using him coming off the bench.

For now, Scolari is not saying.

Player profile: Denilson
"I have to test variations," he said. "When I need to change the team, they have to be ready."

:eek:

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Denilson is a top draw player, I hope he starts. Another player I have high hopes for is Ronaldinho.

·
94,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brazilian captain Emerson out of World Cup

(www.dailysoccer.com)

ULSAN, South Korea, June 2 (AFP)

Brazilian captain Emerson is out of the World Cup after dislocating his shoulder in a training accident, team doctor Carlos Runco said Sunday.
"The shoulder is dislocated," said Runco. "This injury takes four weeks to recover so he will not be able to play any more in this World Cup."
He said Brazil had sent a request to football's world govering body FIFA for authorisation to call another player.
The inspirational AS Roma midfielder hurt his right shoulder as he took a turn as a goalkeeper at the Ulsan Munsu Stadium in training Sunday.
He was playing in goal during a two-touch training session when he dived to the right and remained on the ground.
He stayed down for a full five minutes, surrounded by his teammates, before he was helped up. He took no further part in the session.
Emerson later left for the team hotel with his arm in a sling.
"When Emerson fell we didn't immediately think it was serious, but he stayed on the floor and we knew something had happened," said defender Roberto Carlos.
Brazil's star midfielder Rivaldo, who supplied the shot that Emerson dive dfor, said Emerson's inexperience as a goalkeeper contributed to the injury.
"I shot on goal and I think Emerson had a problem because he is not a goalkeeper. He doesn't know how to fall on the floor, that's why he injured the shoulder," he said.
Brazil play Turkey here on Monday.

:mute:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts