Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has seen the game post some thoughts on the game and the team. This was the last big game for us.

How did we look? the preliminary article on Onefootball.com is favorable.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
We looked very good and the stand out players were (for me) Ronaldo and Anderson Polga (Densildson also was as hungry as a lion). The game was refreshingly competitive with a bit of needle at the end. Excellent stuff (forget the England multiple substitution crap - this was a friendly with balls).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone, living in USA, know if and when this game might be broadcast...maybe on Fox Sports World?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Players rating from my friend Yacoob:

Marcos - He was fairly good, there wasn't many Portuguese dangerous chances, what about a straight 6.5

Anderson Polga - for handling the Portuguese in a good way, no mistakes in his defending either, he got a 7.5

Lucio - hat guy was excellent too, and he was helping during attacks too, his ball control is very good, and his tackles are clean, ok, 8

Roque Junior - probably the worst out of our defense but was ok compared to his horrible Roque self, so i'll give him a 6

Cafu - He was just dissapointing compared to his form for Roma, too bad. Didn't help much from attacks on the right side, i give him a 6.

Emerson - He controlled the midfield pretty well, although he seemed to be in every fight, i give him a 6.5

Gilberto Silva - I didn't notice him much so i guess i'll have to give him a 6.5

ROnaldinho Gaucho :star: - Ok, He was easily the man of the match! This is outstanding performance! I never saw a player move in such a way, getting back to the midfield and taking balls and then moving up to create some truely excellent chances! i give him a 9.

Roberto Carlos - He is his usualy self, playing good from the left flanks, his attacks were always spot on and very useful, he combined very well with Denilson later on. 7.5

Rivaldo - Not too much. I don't remember him doing well in any of the other international matches for Brazil. His best moments were when Ronaldo was in. 6.5

Ronaldo - He clicked in very well with the squad, although he missed some good chances for scoring. This is just a note to all the doubters, this guy is getting back to his top form! 7.5

Ok, now the guys who came off the bench. :angel:

Franca - he came close from scoring for us by a pass from Rivaldo but nothing much really, i give him a 6.5

Denilson - and Denilson...he was good, as usual he used all the tricks in his book to fool the defense, if not making it through the defense, he at least get a foul. Say, 7.5

Kleberson - I don't remember him very much, i'll give him a 6?

The goals:

* Portugal's goal came after a great pass by Figo, which Joao Pinto left, tricking the Brazilians, and so it came to Conceicao, he run and took a shot which was scored after hitting the goalie. Ronaldinho scored from a penalty, after someone tackled Klebberson at the box and Ronaldinho had no problems putting the ball in the back of the net from 12 yards away on Ricardo! :cool:

Formation:

* Ronaldinho is basically everywhere so i am confused if Big Phil is still using 3-5-2 or 3-4-1-2 so i would appreciate if anyone who saw this game tell me what formation they think we used? :confused:

Conclusion:

Basically, this is an excellent game to end our friendly campaign with. It was excellent and we played pretty good football and it's nice to see we can manage to draw with a team that is or was said to be a World Cup title challenger for this year, and they have stars just like us too. also we could have bagged in alot more too! very good game overall. ;)

All i have to say now, is get ready for the mundial brasilliero's! It's time to bring the 5th copa home! :star:

Forca Brazil! :proud:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I don't really know if I agree with your judgements :), but I do think Roque Junior looked kinda guilty in Conceiçao's goal.

Else, the main reason why I'm posting here, is to give you Brasilero's some positive feedback :). Now I've seen alot of today's game, aswell as the last game, and I'm truly impressed. Even though I've known the result both times, I find your ball control, technique and creativity so amazing, that I'm entertained by it, almost like an artform. The passes, your triple R, Roberto Carlos and his speed, all those big stars and still you manage to put in players that an unknowing guy like me never heard about, and they're just as amazing :). And of course, even though I see him weekly in La Liga, it's great to see Denilson nearing the form that made him so hot on the market around WC98. He makes the same dribbles, and suceeds. Let me just say that if Denmark don't manage to win the WC :howler:, I'm cheering for you guys because you're pure art :).

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Daniel, trust me compared to the normal Roque Junior he was just excellent, it's kinda exaggerating but people like Ze da fiel and the other Brasilliero's who just hate Roque Loser would agree with me IMO. :howler:

Brazil are just so fun to watch and that's how it's always been but like i've said forever we are lacking a finisher which Romario would be able to answer that question but you know that same old story with Big Phil. :depress: Oh well, it won't help to cry about it. maybe "Triple R" will be able to do it alone without Romario, but now it's time to support our team instead of crictisizing the coach for who didn't make it eh?

If you agree, gimme a hell yeah! :D

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Major kudos to our south american cousins. They played much better than what I've been witnessing from them recently. The first half especially I thought both teams showed what football is all about. Despite this being a friendly, it was evident the get go that no team wanted to lose.

Baiscally, I thought Portugal had a better first half with things balancing out in the second. No question that Brazilian's penalty was the correct call, but the ref missed one when Pauleta was clearly failed in the box that the ref waved on. Otherwise I thought that ref was outstanding. I was thorughly entertained by the game, otherwise... as well as impressed to Nth degree by Ronaldinho.

Kudos, amigoes, for a fine match!:)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Whoa, I came here to congratulate you guys, and find my compadre Pila got here first. So I'll just second what he said and add that both teams should really be proud to have put on such a show. When people here in Canada ask why I like futebol so much, I wish I had a tape of this game to show them. SO much more entertaining than watching a catennacio game played by our friends from the sunny boot shaped peninsula!

Only thing I disagree on, yes Ronaldinho was great, but man of the match was our man Figo!

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Pila,
I thought we had a much better first half than you guys. although until five minutes past the Portuguse goal you guys took care of the game. It was the best test we have had.. Good luck in the world cup, you guys have a team to go far!;)

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Well,
This was by far teh ebst game for us under Felipao. Can you guys imagine what Ronaldo will be like in 1 month time, with no muscular pains in his body?? Also he just needs to polish a little bit more in his finish and all those balls in the world cup will go in.

First half was almost perfect for us, just missed the goal.

There are 2 shaky places in the team however, Roque Jr and Marcos do not give me any security. As Sao Taffarel said, Polga was fulled by the dummy , but Roque Jr should have been better in the covering of that ball and then Conceicao just was clear to slot the ball in.

Emerson once again showed that his football only consists of one tool, and that is FOULING I wonder if in the World Cup the refs will be gentle with him. He for sure will miss some games.

Rivaldo was a little bit better than usual, however he needs to know that he has a RONALDO and a RONALDINHO GAUCHO alongside him, no need to shoot the ball from 50 meters!

Denilson was brilliant again, loads of fighting spirit, called that #2 of Portugal for a fight.... I bet Felipao loved that

The only thing that was missing was DJALMINHA. (i'll try not talk anymore about Romario! )

Overall the test was what we needed. The first half we dominated possesion and did look like we were the home team! Second half we were more defensive, and after we took the goal there were about 5 minutes of instability in the team. I hope in the world cup these players can control there nerves, after all most of them are very experienced.

Unfortunately Franca could have done much better, probably was missing Kaka who scored a beauty yesteday agaisnt Sao Paulo!

And once again Edilson showed that he is a man of the big occasion, comes in, does not touch the ball and is awarded a penalty.

Felipao changed well the team, he has many options to change the team and he can buiolt a team in any formation that he wants...... from his conservative 352 to a 433 with just one substitution. Not many teams in the world can say that.
Most times he will put Denilson in the pitch he might take off one defender and hold Roberto Carlos more.....as he got two typical DM's he can do that luxury. I just hope that he does not take Anderson Polga out, but Roque Jr. who is clearly the worst player of this team!

But my hopes of the World Cup increased tremendously, specially with the performances of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho Gaucho and Denilson!

Now let's wait and see on May 2nd if he will take Franca or Luizao! It will be a tough decision if he basis his verditc on Franca's performance yesterday!

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Ze-

I'm not surprised if someone would see it that way - the game was that well balanced that anyone can make a case for either team.

Kudos!:)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Hehehe:)

Nao e Portugues. E Engles. Kudos = Parabems:)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
thank you to our brasilian cousins for an entertaining game...it was wonderful to watch...i personally thought portugal controlled most of the first but like Pila said, it was such a great game that the perception of control could have been either way...

nonetheless with the way brasil played yesterday i have no doubt that they can make the finals...(and lose to portugal;) ,..i hope) anyways it was wonderful to watch and l look forward to watching your games this coming WC....good luck my friends...

thanks for the game...

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Apologies if I am repeating myself:-

the stand out players were Anderson Polga (so assured), Ronaldo (mesmeric) and Ron. Gaucho (after some early wayward passes).

A great friendly. About time after being fed a diet of the Svengland multiple substitution nonsense.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Haha, yeah it's great to see we have built a pretty darn good relationship with the Portugal fans, hey we can agree on one thing.. Portuguese language rocks! :D

Anyway, i am sure the real Selecao is back for real.. Brazil is on their way to winning numero 5! :)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Brazil better but must improve before World Cup, say press
RIO DE JANEIRO, April 18 (AFP)- Brazil showed progress in their 1-1 draw with Portugal but still need to improve, especially in defence with six weeks to go before the World Cup finals, the Brazilian press said on Thursday.
The match in Lisbon on Wednesday saw the first appearance in the same team of former world footballer of the year Ronaldo, midfield maestro Rivaldo and 22-year-old midfielder Ronaldinho, the so-called 'Triple R' formation.
Sports daily Lance! said: "Ronaldo returned to play well in the Brazil shirt but Ronaldinho was the best player on the field, although Rivaldo, once again, continues to perform well for the national team."
The newspaper said the match was entertaining and while victory would have been preferable, Brazil "played with personality, created more goal-scoring chances than Portugal and in general showed signs of progress."
Ronaldo looked back to fitness in his second international match since recovering from a series of potentially career-ending injuries although the Inter Milan forward only played the first half as arranged.
Sergio Conceicao put Portugal ahead with half an hour to go but Paris Saint Germain midfielder Ronaldinho replied from the penalty spot in the 73rd minute to ensure Luiz Felipe Scolari's men did not come away empty-handed.
The newspapers agreed that while the team had improved since the four-time World Cup winners struggled to even qualify for this year's finals in South Korea and Japan, much work still needed to be done.
The Extra daily noticed "a gentle progression" but expressed concerns over defensive frailties.
"Brazil have improved, they played a good first half ... There is light at the end of the tunnel, but the defence again failed at times, especially losing out in the air."
O Estado de Sao Paulo concluded that Brazil can now dream of lifting a fifth World Cup after making steady improvement but also criticised the defence, especially AC Milan player Roque Junior.
"The defence made the most mistakes. It was clear that Roque Junior cannot, and should not be asked to, mark any attacker individually.
"Lucio is growing but has a tendency to over-embellish his game."
But the paper conceded that "Brazil had a good performance, with a good show from both Ronaldos."
And the Folha de Sao Paulo raised concerns that Portugal were the only heavyweight opponents Brazil would face in their run-up to the finals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts