Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've watched parts of the game and the highlights from the Argentina one.

Germany and us, had some of the worst defending I've seen in years. It was pretty fucking strange to watch both as indolent (more related to Germany, us looked more stupid than indolent) and with such lack of basic fundaments in most of the goals they've received. Germany first received gol even looked worse than the serie of mistakes Brazil had in 2014 against them.

I really like the Olympics football Tournament, usually there are some cracking games and players obviously want really badly an Olympic medal, but ze krauts and us really looked awuful.
BTW the time table is ridiculous for SA and Europe, looks more oriented to the Russian and ASIAN market.

·
Registered
34,720 Posts
Related WTF

Richarlyson's attorney, Renato Salge, filed a lawsuit against Cyrillo Jr. for damages and defamation. Judge Manoel Maximiano Junqueira Filho dismissed the lawsuit and justified his decision by stating that football is a "virile, masculine sport and not a homosexual one" and that, on those grounds, "Richarlyson should be forever banished by FIFA and never be allowed to play football again".
Richarlyson - Wikipedia

·
Registered
16,322 Posts
I just watched the highlights of the Mexico France game and I don't know if Mexico is that good (unlikely because in the warm up games they were meh) or if France was that bad. Just by the highlights I would say the latter. In a turnabout, France did feature as one of their overage players Gignac, who is a dual national these days :D. I think his kids are all Mexican and he has basically settled there.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
1996 was a cracker, with R9, Crespo and Marco Branca :)
Argentina had Ayala, Almeyda, Zanetti, Simeone, Ortega, Claudio Lopez, Gustavo Lopez, Crespo... they all continued their career in the senior team over the following decade. Great group but very unlucky unfortunately.

The 2000 one was very entertaining too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Argentina had Ayala, Almeyda, Zanetti, Simeone, Ortega, Claudio Lopez, Gustavo Lopez, Crespo... they all continued their career in the senior team over the following decade. Great group but very unlucky unfortunately.

Kind of a curse too, they played a great tournament nonetheless but in the ones that we actually won we played great from start to finish and I'm more fond of many of the players of the newer generations.

·
Registered
34,720 Posts

Yes, that was when Pirlo was still a #10. Probably the highest achieving player ever in U21/23 NT football. I remember also the youthful Ambrosini and Gattuso playing a CL game with Milan and grabbing a flight to Australia and playing a game just a day or two later, jet-lagged.. 😁 Ahh, to be 22 again..

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes, that was when Pirlo was still a #10. Probably the highest achieving player ever in U21/23 NT football. I remember also the youthful Ambrosini and Gattuso playing a CL game with Milan and grabbing a flight to Australia and playing a game just a day or two later, jet-lagged.. 😁
I think that it's because Italy failed to qualify tons of times at youth NT level, quite bizarre if you think about it.

·
Registered
34,720 Posts
All the Argies Ajala mentions would form the back-bone of late 1990s Serie A, btw.

I remember it was a heureka moment for me years ago here on XT when a lot of us Serie A fans were talking nostalgically about the greatness of that era, and you, Fangio, on the other hand said that this was when you started to sour a bit on the game, because the Argentina clubs were suddenly drained. One man's golden era is another man's dark ages..

·
oic
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Did u know Rivaldo scored in 2002 more goals than Messi in 4 world cups?

@Monzon @Ajala

1 - 20 of 49 Posts