Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are quite a few games I can think where there have been brawls, fights and are generally bad tempered. The Valencia v Inter game comes to mind as does the fight (if you can call it that ;)) between Diogo and Fabiano. Im sure our South American friends can think of a few. :)

Check out this game between Italy and Chile in the WC in 1962 which is called the battle of Santiago and features left hooks, flying kicks and a rugby tackle.

[tub]uOtL1m1o_ok[/tub]

Are there any others you can think of?

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
When Barca won the league in 2005 against Levante, the first half was nuts. There probably could have been at least 2 red cards for each team in the first 45 minutes. Probably not as bad as some of those games, but considering the second half was 45 minutes of both teams accepting the draw and pissing about, the first half was surprisingly bad tempered.

·
Administrator
52,913 Posts
When I think of this, Argentina in general comes instantly to mind :D

First thoughts go to Argie-England 66, and Bilbao-Barca 82? With Maradona and a band of Bilbao thugs going all natives on eachother :D

·
Registered
331 Posts

First thoughts go to Argie-England 66, and Bilbao-Barca 82? With Maradona and a band of Bilbao thugs going all natives on eachother :D
Argentina England 1966 was not a violent game.

The Maradona fight was after the match had ended. During the game there were some rough tackles in it, but not more than your average 80's match in the Spanish League, which was pretty violent at the time. Athletic Bilbao in particular were very physical, but the rest of the lteams in the league were no saints. And it was 1984, just before Maradona joined Napoli.

Another infamous game for its violence was Leeds Chelsea in the FA Cup replay final of 1970.

Argentinian teams in the Intercontinental Cups in 60's were famous for their dirty play, Estudiantes in particular. A certain Bilardo was playing for them at the time and their manager was know to instruct their players to do anything, whether legal or illegal to help their team win.

Curiously that manager (can't remember his name now) was Atletico Madrid manager when Atletico kicked the shit out of Celtic players in the 1974 game. They also had a few Argentinian players to better carry out the instructions given by the manager.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think someone knows about United vs Leeds in the FA cup 1965, I've only seen pictures and read about it, but it looks/sounds really nasty.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts

Argentina comes to your mind only because it is a stereotype and you are falling for it. The 1966 game was not a violent game by any means, even if u watch it now and judge it with today's standards it won't qualify as a violent game.
In the Bilbao game there was more than 10 players involved from both sides, Diego was the only Argentinean one there.

I have watched I believe more than 95% of the games Argentina played since 1988 and I have never seen an Argentinean side as violent as the Cameroon of 1990, but for some reason everybody seems to be in love with them, just for one stupid reason because they are from Africa.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Argentina comes to your mind only because it is a stereotype and you are falling for it. The 1966 game was not a violent game by any means, even if u watch it now and judge it with today's standards it won't qualify as a violent game.
In the Bilbao game there was more than 10 players involved from both sides, Diego was the only Argentinean one there.

I have watched I believe more than 95% of the games Argentina played since 1988 and I have never seen an Argentinean side as violent as the Cameroon of 1990, but for some reason everybody seems to be in love with them, just for one stupid reason because they are from Africa.
Theres more to it than that. They played exciting football and I guess being underdogs also helped.

I dont remember them being especially dirty or violent though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Theres more to it than that. They played exciting football and I guess being underdogs also helped.

I dont remember them being especially dirty or violent though.
Against Argentina in 1990 they were very dirty and violent. Maradona recieved about 15 fouls and Caniggia was also kicked left and right. I think Camerun had two players sent off, but with today's refereeing it would probably had been 4 or 5.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
****, thought this was about hockey :(

·
Registered
66,443 Posts
Whenever China or S. Korea play Japan they act like thugs

[tub]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4oebxLUHTg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4oebxLUHTg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/tub]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts