Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly along with the clockwork orange of the 70's,they were the best teams not to win a World Cup.... But the question I am asking what would you say was their best game of either of those two cups? I have a chance to buy a DVD of any of their games but would like to know which I should get. I don't care if their best game was a 5-0 drubbing of some minnow I just want to see the skills of Socrates, Zico and Falcao. Thanks

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
The team of 1982 was the better team, so focus there (although the 1986 game with France was one of the greatest games ever).
Due the importance and also the game, the 3-1 against Argentina was most likely the best game of that team. (They played well also against Scothland 4-1 and New Zeland 4-0 but those adversaries are not that strong).
But anyways I would got the 3-2 defeat against Italy. Not because i am masochist, but even if the brazilian team did not produced that well, that happened because the greatness of that italian team. This game is a masterpiece of strategy, the showdown of what italian footbal is made off and a great example of two different styles of game ,that would change the philosophy of the footbal until today.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I definately agree with JCamilo´s description
that the Italians plays great tactically and is instrumental in their finish
while the Brazil couldn´t produce as well as they showed earlier in tournament
though the goals are flashes of brilliance
Socrates in collaboration with Zico is beautiful
but overall its a fair win for the Italiens
even though its a cruel defeat for Jogo Bonito

Against France in 86 on the other side I believe Brazil should have won
and much more deserved to win and failed more on own mistakes

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to get the best of the jogo bonito I should get brasil vs argentina 1982?

·
Registered
219 Posts
They're all good. The game against the USSR, when Brasil lost a goal and took a long, long time to get into their stride was pure drama. Thd drums in the crowd beat louder and louder, the sun beat down harder and harder and everything built to a dramatic crescendo of two stunning goals. The one against Scotland, where they again lost an early goal and then just took the Scots apart piece by piece and score four beautiful goals is great too. And just to be clear - Scotland was a reasonable team in those days. The game against Argentina was good for showing that they didn't even have to worry about Maradona (because what can he do without the ball?). The one against Italy was best for heartbreaking drama. I disagree about Italy playing a great tactical game and feel it was just a little too much complacency and individual mistakes (sad that the first picture in my mind when anyone mentions that great player Cerezo, is his pass to Rossi). Football teaches you the danger of getting your hopes up too high and sometimes gives you the biggest, most painful kick up the arse.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
JCamilo said:
But anyways I would got the 3-2 defeat against Italy. Not because i am masochist, but even if the brazilian team did not produced that well, that happened because the greatness of that italian team. This game is a masterpiece of strategy, the showdown of what italian footbal is made off and a great example of two different styles of game ,that would change the philosophy of the footbal until today.
:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself and please keep in mind that this
is not even directed to your words, but to the events you described.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I've always rated the 1982 team as the best ever. maybe it's because I was at an impressionable age, but as far as the old "jogo bonito" is concerned no side in subsequent WC's comes close.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Between a DVD with the best of the 82 Brasilian team and one with the best of the 86 team, pick the 82 team without hesitation. And I agree that the game vs. Italy was the best match in terms of balance and quality of both sides, but the most spectacular performance was probably the match against Argentina.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
also in 82 Italian game a clear penalty was not given to us and a goal was disallowed.
Indeed, but the goal was italian, not ours :)
The thing is that the referee was a bad one, did important mistakes, but no one remembers it because the quality and power of both teams that overcome the lack of quality of the referee.

The game with URSS was great, but there was still that nervous part of first game of world cup and Cerezo was out and Brazil was still finding the place. But of course, that was a great URSS team, Dasaev was in their goal (and this just make Eder most wonderful), and it is worth. (because anyone will see the team that was great and competitive playing with only 2 defenders for real , Oscar and Luizinho.) But of course, that game can be resume by Eder's goal, that masterpiece of style (Falcao did not needed to open his legs, Eder did not need to make the ball go up a little before kicking, they did because they are inspired and could have made an entire symphony with that inspiration)

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
For WC 1982, Brasil played their best match against Argentina, and in that same match Eder hit one of the most wicked freekicks I've ever seen :eekani: For entertainment value, then go for Brasil - Italia, though I still have painful memories watching this game :depress:

For WC 86 matches, Brasil's best game is probably against Poland (a 4-0 win) and the 1/4 final match against France was one of the best all-time footie matches

1 - 13 of 13 Posts