Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brazil are back, warns Roberto Carlos

Real Madrid left-back Roberto Carlos is convinced that Brazil's troubles are behind them after his side sparkled in a 1-1 draw with Portugal in Lisbon on Wednesday night.

"If we play like that at the World Cup, we'll get to the final," he vowed.

Following the most arduous qualifying campaign in Brazil history, Roberto Carlos believes the squad are now more unified than ever and will go into the World Cup in a positive frame of mind.

"Any player joining us now will have to understand this mentality. Nobody here is more important than anyone else. I feel a good World Cup coming up for us."

With Rivaldo at his inspirational best and Brazil sparkling in spells, coach Luiz Felipe Scolari was also able to draw positives from the match.

"I am not completely satisfied with the team, but I am confident we have the players capable of playing great football," he said. "This was valuable proof showing how good we are and what we should be able to do in the World Cup."

Scolari admitted, however, that individual errors continued to pose a problem.

Sergio Conceicao took advantage of some slack defending from Roque Junior to open the scoring, but Ronaldinho pulled his side level from the spot after Edilson had been bundled over in the box.

"This was like the atmosphere will be at the World Cup and it just shows that you can't commit any mistakes like the one we made," he said, referring to Roque Junior's lapse in concentration.

Scolari added that there was still work to be done. "Cafu is almost a winger when he plays for Roma, but for Brazil he will have to get used to defensive duties as well. I am sure he will do that perfectly after some training.

"There is a lot of talent here, but they can't show it without training. In the 18 days we have together before the World Cup, we are going to work hard. The replacements also did well and I now have a good idea of what I can do during a match."

Ronaldo, who scored twice in Internazionale's weekend win over Brescia, impressed too and Brazil doctor Jose Luis Runco said the forward was disappointed to be taken off at half-time.

"Scolari thought he did well and saw no need to keep him on the pitch," he said.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts