Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I guess you guys haven't thought much about this match - especially not with the two important La Liga matches in mind, Valencia and Deportivo respectively. It's a known fact that you're facing the Danish top-team, Brøndby on Thursday, in Denmark, and I believe it's time to start a thread about it. :)

Here in Denmark the media hasn't really been talking about anything else the last couple of weeks. I guess a long break of no football for 3 months helps the hype on the way. Let it be of kindness to you too, 'cause you really are a giant compared to Brøndby, whether we like it or not, it's a still a fact though. :tongue:

Do you guys have any good bids on a possible Barca-line-up?

I can easily give you Brøndby's, but I believe it would be a waste of time, since you probably don't know a single player. :groan: ;)

Laudrup and Ronaldinho :cool:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
You're a bit unlucly because you're facing us when we're on a good roll. I know that Brondby is a solid side and that we played you guys in 98/99 in the Champions League. Scandinavian teams usually gives us a little problem when we play them in their stadium. I predict a 1-0 or 2-1 victory for us. The players will have the Deportivo de la Coruña match in mind and their heads are probley already in A Coruña.

Davids can't play because he has already done matches for Juventus in Europe this season. It's possible that Rijkaard rests some players, but it's unlikely.

Valdés
Óscar/Reiziger (if fit), Oleguer, Puyol, VB
Xavi/Iniesta, Cocu, Motta/Gerard
Luis Garica, Saviola, Ronaldinho

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FCB_Simon said:
Frederik,

Could you email me at [email protected] or leave your email address here and I will contact you.

Reason being I'll be wanting to write a match preview @ www.fcbes.com later in the week and would be interested in hearing your views on Brondby - injuries, key players, likely formation etc etc

Thanks
[email protected]

I'll happy to help you

There's of course always the Brøndby Thread, where I'll make a preview/review myself. :)

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
Cool cartoon, Frederik.

Its kind of understandable that the media nor the fans have been talking too much about this. Until recently, FCB has not had good results and everyone have been taking the season, literally one game at a time.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On a related note, Brøndby had a less than impressive test-game yesterday, where they lost 0-3 at home...

It was with the supposed first team lineup, and in playing against a slovakian side (I think)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CarniVore said:
On a related note, Brøndby had a less than impressive test-game yesterday, where they lost 0-3 at home...

It was with the supposed first team lineup, and in playing against a slovakian side (I think)
The Slovakian champions, yes.

They played well, although their 3 goals (all in the first half) were a bit lucky. It was effeciency on a high level, of course, but still having luck on their side.

Brøndby's play was awful, and none of the players looked ready for the match on Thursday. Whether their attitude and spirit was marked by the fact that it was "only" a training-match or not, is hard to say.

One things certain that attitude won't show on Thursday. :)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Expectations and views from a Brøndby-fan

Here's a bit about my expectations and views a few days before the first leg at Brøndby Stadion. It's copied directly from the Brøndby Thread in the Nordic forum.

Enjoy. :)

---------------------

Is it possible to be positive and optimistic up to these two clashes at all? I mean, we don't seem to have the margins on our side at the moment. Let me elaborate ...

The striker

First of all our biggest problem and where all worries mainly have been put this winter-break: the striker. Not only has this position been a somwhat achilles' heel the past fall-season. We create so many chances, and yet we can't seem to score on them.
Our top-scorer is not surprisingly a midfielder. The strikers, who've been fighting for the spot in our 4-3-3 have mainly been Peter Foldgast (24), Karsten Johansen (21) and Ruben Bagger (32). The last player has been heavily struck by injuries this season and doesn't seem to find his form in time before he gets another injury.
Peter Foldgast have been out of form and confidence this season. Last but not least stands 21-year-old Karsten Johansen, who not long ago played in the Danish 2nd division (3rd best league).
Karsten Johansen has scored 3 goals in 20 matches - a decent amount considering how many players that score our goals. The problem is simply that he doesn't seem to score the goals he should - he has way to many missed chances, and that's clearly not good enough, especially when we're facing Barcelona in two tough legs, where we have to score on the few chances we will obviously get!

Bagger is still out from an with an injury from the fall, and Foldgast, who seemed to have found his old form from the spring 2003, suddenly and unluckily got injured in Marbella. The final and now only choice for the striker-position is then Karsten Johansen.

His statistics for the winter-break programme are: 1 goal in 8 training-matches. He has of course been playing quite a lot, since his opponents for the position have been injured, and his ineffeciency clearly worries me and a lot of other people around the club.

Then why haven't the club signed a new striker in the winter-break? Well, it also seemed like we'd get one in time for the UEFA Cup-registration. Many European strikers' names showed up in the press as basic rumours: Chealsea's talented youngster Sebastian Kneissl, Malmö's Peter Ijeh and Niklas Skoog, Ajax' Jason Culina, OB's Mwape Miti and the latest Hansa Rostock's Magnus Arvidsson ... I've probably forgot one or two. But all in all, there has been a lot of rumours about a possible new striker, but nothing has apparently happened. Well, not yet and not in time for the player to get elligable for the UEFA Cup.
Clearly a mistake by the club, although they couldn't see Foldgast's injury coming.

The long break

That's but not the only problem we have. The long winter-break is of course miserable for us, when comparing our situation with Barcelona's: they've been playing competition football all along, and haven't had to worry about maintaining match-form. The physical part of the players' form isn't such a big problem, 'cause one can always train harder and such. The main and worst problem is that the players haven't played intense football, as in competition football, which the Barcelona players obviously have had plenty of the last 3 months. That they've apparently found their lost form, is of course just great for them - could be both positive for us as well as very negative!

What I mean about positive is basically that they might underestimate us. Think about it, they're now even winning at home (!) and although their as professional as it gets, why shouldn't they be able to underestimate us?

Negatively; they could also just thrash the shite out of us, now when they're suddenly on fire.

This is of course hypothetically speaking, and a lot of things can suddenly and surprisingly (hopefully ;)) happen when the match on thursday has been kicked-off.

It's clear that we will need all the luck we can, if we want to progress to the next round. :hopefull:

-----------------------

I'll of course make a preview of the match, when we get a bit closer. :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'll expect Brøndby to be a typical Scandinavian side (hard working, but lacking technique). But if we see Brøndby attacking from the start, then there's a good chance that Ronaldinho will torment your defenders. But with the match against Deportivo coming up during the weekend, there might be some complacency and lack of concentration at the back. I wouldn't mind a score draw, but I'm expecting a win from the lads.

We will have Kluivert, Gabri, Márquez and Reiziger all out due to injury. Davids is ineligible to play and Luis Enrique is banned.

Rijkaard is expected to put out a full-strength squad, so the expected line-up (as Robban said) will be:

Valdés; Óscar López, Puyol, Oleguer, Van Bronckhorst; Cocu; Xavi, Motta; Ronaldinho, Luis García; Saviola.

Head: Brøndby 1-1 Barcelona.
Heart: Brøndby 0-2 Barcelona.

I don't know a lot about Brøndby, but what are the strengths and weaknesses of your side in terms of individual players and tactics?

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barça_Fan said:
I'll expect Brøndby to be a typical Scandinavian side (hard working, but lacking technique).
Compared to Barcelona, perhaps yes. But I guess, you don't know Laudrup is the coach of this team? :confused: ;)
His philosophy of techniqual and attacking football has had great influence on this Brøndby team, which of course lacks a bit when compared to teams like Barcelona.

Otherwise I agree: Our way to the win will definitely be with hard work, great spirit, and a team efford of another world.

:)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Barça_Fan said:
I don't know a lot about Brøndby, but what are the strengths and weaknesses of your side in terms of individual players and tactics?
Try and read the long post I've made in this thread ... It kind of explains why we're perhaps a bit worried up to the two legs against you guys.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Injuries

Attack: Ruben Bagger, Kaspar Dalgas, Peter Foldgast

Midfield: Morten Wieghorst, Kim Daugaard.

Wieghorst and Daugaard will most likely be ready for the match on Thursday, but the three attackers won't.

Possible Line-up

Karim Zaza

Dan Anton Johansen - Andreas Jakobsson - Per Nielsen - Asbjørn Sennels

Morten Wieghorst - Kim Daugaard

Thomas Kahlenberg

Jonas Kamper - Karsten Johansen - Mattias Jonson

... Or the "risky" one:

Zaza

Dan Anton - Jakobsson - Nielsen - Sennels

Morten Wieghorst - Niki Zimling

Kahlenberg

Kamper - Jonson - Absalonsen

The first one is quite obvious, but the secondm with the two talented youngsters, could also be a possibility.

Absalonsen (18 yrs.) is fast as hell, and I'd actually prefer a Jonson on top instead of the inexperienced and poor playing Johansen. Kamper (20 yrs.) on the right wing is also one of the fastest players in the Danish league. Zimling (18yrs.), who could replace Daugaard is a good defensive midfielder with a high work rate.

If Kahlenberg (20 yrs.) shows his obvious potential and talent, and forgets his obvious lack in experience, he will be one to watch for - I'm glad Davids isn't there to "kill" him. :tongue:

Remember to check out the Brøndby Thread, where I'll make a match-preview - possibly tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
Brondby always has a solid team, but there is no reason for Barca to lose this tie. If Barca plays the way they've been playing I can't see Brondby surprising us. My prediction is 1-1 in Copenhagen and 3-0 for Barca at the Camp Nou. Forca Barca!!

P>S> Kudos to Fox Sports World for putting the second leg game at the Camp Nou on live so I can watch Barca at home for a change!:)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts