Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leeds United have placed Lee Bowyer on the transfer list after the £15million-rated midfielder turned down the offer of a new five-year contract.

The 25-year-old has been in talks with the club since December but, despite indications from Bowyer that he was eager to remain at Elland Road beyond next season, his decision not to sign a new deal is said to be ' a career move'.

Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale confirmed that the terms of the contract, believed to be worth around £2million-a-year to Bowyer, were not the final stumbling block, and said the club now had no option but to put the player up for sale.

Ridsdale said: "Leeds United today announce that Lee Bowyer has made the decision to turn down a new five-year contract.

"Lee's accountant David Geiss has informed us that the terms of the contract are not the issue but that Lee has made the career decision to move on.

"With Lee having one year remaining on his current agreement, the club has no alternative but to place him on the transfer list with immediate effect.

"This initiative has been taken with great reluctance. Given the contract offered by the club, which would have elevated Lee to the elite of the highest paid players at Leeds United, and given the support the club has shown Lee during the past turbulent 30 months, we are disappointed to have this reached this juncture.

"We are surprised that this is the outcome after months of what appeared to be positive talks."

Well, Bowyer is a good midfielder and if he clean up his acts, then he will become a legend. He is rated 15M pound, so I think we can get him to come to play for Liverpool. What do you think guys? Will GH buy him?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
As a player I think Bowyer would be a superb buy, I don't think he's the kind of person GH would want to buy. There's got to be a serious question mark around his temperment after the court case and the drug problems at Charlton. I hope he doesn't sign, I'm not sure whether he would fit in with the squad, and I think he's an idiot and a thug. I hate the guy. I much rather see us spend the money on a young striker like Defoe, Aghahowa or Cisse. Or we could buy Brett Emerton or Harry Kewell, but as for Bowyer I say no.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Bowyers an outstanding player who on talent should be in the England squad automically. But i agree with Arthro Enas we shouldn't buy him because you can't be too sure about his temperament. Something like a move might be good for him and could improve his attitude but i don't want him testing that out on Liverpool. After the squad harmony has been sorted and there seems to be some great team spirit there i don't think a player like Bowyer would do us any good.

·
Registered
619 Posts
He's a racist thug and I don't ever want to see him in our red jersey!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I totally agree what you guys have said. He's racist thug.

Even though he's absolutely one of the talent players in England. He had played good football in Leeds during last few seasons. But we also good players such as Gerrard & Murphy on his position. I can't see we have any reason to bring him to Anfield next season. I also think he's over-valued.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Not only do I disagree with his character, I think he's over-rated.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
dyertribe said:
Not only do I disagree with his character, I think he's over-rated.
Hes not over-rated ....hes not even rated!!! :D

seriously though.. IMHO he is really a top class player..have great engine, crunching tackle, score goals regularly and more importantly a burning desire to win every game he plays...

would have been perfect for us if not for his character......

I wonder if this will hold back Le Boss or not

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi everyone..

Well I agree with BOSH here.. Bowyer is one hell of a talent.. and I love his will during a game to win.. that is something I find some of our players lack at times (eg: Danny Murphy).. Yes.. his charactar is more thuggish than anything else.. if it wasn't.. I'd want him at Liverpool in a second..

overrated?? Well I don't know.. with the way prices are going up.. I think it's Ok.. (Remember Liverpool were simply out of their minds to let Robbie F go for 10M only!!)..

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
We dun need Bowyer

Attitude
1. He got out of a hell of a case, the Leeds fans support him, then what does he do? Turn down a new contract! Ingrate!
2. Even if he did not physically cause assult, he was still there and involved in it.
3. If the appeal is successful, Bowyer will train one day and go to court the next. Ideal huh?

Gameplay
1. Do we need another midfielder like Barmby, Murphy, Berger, Cheynou? Do we need another goalscoring midfielder? (Ironically our midfield had been accused of not scoring enough goals, but the solution is not to buy more of the same kind)

2. What we really need to to get a Pires, a Giggs. Someone who can set up chances on a plate. We have more then enough players who get on the end of chances, (as shown above), but we need the CREATORS. If we have someone like Pires and Bergkamp playing, the rest of the midfield can double their goal tally and Owen will score 10 goals more per season.
Forget about Work Ethic! We need creators.

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Let look at the cost

15 million can get us Duff.
8 million can get us Carriere.
We can well afford it, we are guarenteed CL money.

Selling Barmby, Diomede and Heggem can reclaim 4-5 million for Cheynou

Litmanen is free, he can play beside Owen
He can play 70 mins create 5-8 clear chances and we will go 2-0 or 3-0 up
then we can sub in Baros, Mellor, Heskey. Similary those three can also be good substitute for Owen.

Its so frustrating this season, when we know what must the team do to be Champions, it was so bloody obvious but Ged is the French version of "Kiasu" (That is for Singaporeans to know).

I dun see the logic of getting more strikers. Ged just needs to beg Jari to stay on for another season (Which is unlikely).

What is the problem?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yasir said:
(Remember Liverpool were simply out of their minds to let Robbie F go for 10M only!!)..
Hi Yasir...It was 13m for Fowler...plus we didn't want a repeat of the Bosman free transfer (Stevie Macca)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
MINDSCAPE said:
What we really need to to get a Pires, a Giggs. Someone who can set up chances on a plate. We have more then enough players who get on the end of chances, (as shown above), but we need the CREATORS. If we have someone like Pires and Bergkamp playing, the rest of the midfield can double their goal tally and Owen will score 10 goals more per season.
Forget about Work Ethic! We need creators.
Fully agree...we need a natural winger and thats what we ONLY need

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to Teamtalk... (rumor)

Leeds' transfer-listed midfielder Lee Bowyer is reportedly on the verge of completing a £15million move to Anfield.

RUMOR!!!!!!!! :D

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
UPDATE: Leeds Reject Liverpool Bid For Bowyer
News Archive

Bowyer is being linked heavily with a move to Anfield (Allsport)
05/25/2002. Reports this morning suggest that Liverpool are on the brink of completing the signing of Lee Bowyer from Leeds United in a ?5m deal, although later reports suggest that the Yorkshire side have rejected a ?4.8m bid from Liverpool.

Bowyer rejected a new contract at Elland Road earlier this week, stating that he wanted to advance his career, and Liverpool are set to win the race for his signature, although it's thought that Arsenal were also interested.

Ironically, Bowyer is set to sign on similar terms to those that he rejected at Leeds, although it's said that Leeds feel that Liverpool's bid is not high enough to allow one of their prized assets move to a Premiership rival.

The official line from Leeds maintains that no bid has been made from anyone, as chairman Peter Ridsdale told the club's official site, "At this point we have received no bids for Lee Bowyer."

soccerage

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
B*O*S*H* said:

Hi Yasir...It was 13m for Fowler...plus we didn't want a repeat of the Bosman free transfer (Stevie Macca)
Hi BOSH.. You're absolutely correct about the price.. and I didn't mean they were wrong to sell him (as I agree they didn't want another steve Macca case).. it's the price that I was commenting on..

I'm sorry Mindscape.. I disagree here.. Ok.. Bowyer has had a bad past.. but.. the fact that he didn't reach an agreement with the club does not mean he's ungrateful.. except if that would mean Fowler and McManaman were with us.. it's just that he felt that he deserves more.. and they thought otherwise.. (Personally, I'd do the same if I was at a company which didn't appreciate my work).. As for the case.. well from what I know he's been cleared of all charges.. so that would nullify points 2 & 3.. I do agree that he's more of a scoring midfielder.. although he does create a lot.. it's just that his goals over shadow his original midfield work.. Then again.. I'm one who would want Liverpool to get rid of Berger and we all know that Murphy is not the most consistent when it comes to form or goals.. so our midfield isn't the force we'd want them to be..

As you can see.. I am a Bowyer fan.. not his attitude or history.. but I love his football.. But.. if we could get Carriere for 8M.. I'd certainly welcome that much more.. as he's simply dazzling!! I'm expecting most of the transfer talks to hit a stop on Friday.. as everyone will be glued to the World Cup... and with Zidane picking up a thigh injury.. we might see Carriere playing in France's opener..

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Lee Bowyer Set For Sensational Leeds U-Turn?
News Archive

The Bowyer saga continues (Allsport)
05/27/2002. Leeds United are clinging on to the hope that Lee Bowyer may have a change of heart and stay at Elland Road, after chairman Peter Ridsdale revealed that more talks were on the cards with his agent.

Bowyer rejected a new contract last week and was placed on the transfer list, claiming that he wanted to further his career away from the club, even though the terms of the deal were not in question, however in what could be a dramatic about-turn, things may not be as clear cut as originally thought.

Ridsdale told the Yorkshire Evening Post, "I get on well with Lee's agent and will be speaking to him again this week. A fortnight ago we shook hands on a deal and I think his agent was as surprised as I was by the events of last week."

"I'm not making any predictions, but you can never say never in this game. At the moment we've had no enquires about Lee. We're not actively seeking enquiries because we don't want Lee to go."

soccerage

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Yasir, you say he has been cleared of the charge. He was found guilty of affray which is more than the whole of the Liverpool's squad's criminal record put together. Plus he had drugs problems in his early days at Charlton. Also, I don' think his subtle elbow to the face of Gary Mac in our 2-0 FA Cup win last year would go down too well in the dressing room, especially considering he was let off a three game ban with that.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Hi RM..

well I can't say that Bowyer's past has been full of roses at all.. but come on.. worst things have been attached to better (or worse) players.. and they have went on to succeed and excel at their new clubs..

Personally, in terms of footy quality.. I'd want to see Bowyer in a Liverpool jersey.. and I'd take the risk that GH would be able to clean up his thuggish act too.. (It seems he's done a hell of a job with Anelka!! he even made him smile :) That seemed impossible a year or two ago..!!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts