Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from nufc.com:

It was revealed on Tuesday morning that contrary to expectations, Lee Bowyer will not be eligible for selection for our impending trip to Valerenga - and will actually be forced to miss the next six European games.

As we didn't actually name him in the squads registered earlier in the season for the Champions League or the UEFA Cup, UEFA have now said his ban has not yet started.

In other words, even though he wasn't eligible to play for us due to the ban imposed on him when at Leeds, in order for the "clock to start ticking" he had to be recorded in our squad list. The club didn't know that, so didn't include him.

A full statement on .cock appears to point the finger of blame at both UEFA and the FA - the former failing to make the situation clear and the latter also being unaware of the rules and misadvising Newcastle.

The club are said to be "shocked and exasperated" in general, "extremely annoyed" with the FA and "extremely disappointed" with UEFA.

This ruling has been made after an appeal and while a further appeal looks to have been ruled out, the PFA have been notified and unspecified "diplomatic channels" are being explored.

Assuming we made continued progress in the UEFA Cup, Bowyer would be eligible for the semi-finals.
------------------------------------------------------------
:rollani::mad::fero: Shocking mess that should have never happened. His european experiance could of helped the side a great deal, but now, thanks to this cock up, he has to serve another 6 match ban.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,926 Posts
Another woeful error by the powers that be at SJP.

The rules are clearcut, and now they're trying to shift the blame on everyone but themselves.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top