Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i want to know if these two player are very good or if it's like metzelder?
Just overrated young players?

bye

ps:For you , who is the best italian center back?

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Overrated piece of crap. Well Bovo is, Bonera has been queit decent but nothing more then that. These guys wouldn't play for Perugia five years ago if it wasn't for italys lack of great defenders. It's only Nesta,Cannavaro,Maldini that holds the crown. Most of these "talents" are shite. Moretti (in Valencia was very good last year,don't know how he's doing now) seem to be one of those better ones along with chiellini.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Man why am I always associated with this guy, I was only winding up Jern.

Nope not only because of him but if he was say French and played for a mid table in SerieA everyone would know about him and someone like Inter would snap him up in 2 seconds.

King and JTerry as England subs, Says it all really

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
For me Bovo is good, he was a great defender in Lecce and also for the Italy U21 which won the Euros and got to the semis of the olympics (far and away the best defender of Italy in both tournaments).

At Parma he has been poor, but maybe some players dont suit some teams. Hes had a real low this year, but he is still just 21 so he has a future ahead of him yet.

Bonera is over-rated, but isnt so bad. The only problem is he hasnt really improved since his Brescia days so it means he may never improve above his current level.

For me Barzagli who is 22? Is the best central defender u23 for Italy right now. Since his Serie C1 days where he was voted the best defender in the league, he has been a talent. Played well for the U21 and Chievo. Now at Palermo he is apart of one of the most solid defences of the league, also an NT manager.

Chiellini and Moretti are surely talents, its a shame only the LB position has talents. Mantovani of Torino is good but I would like to see him in Serie A.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so, bonera and bovo are not good player!
ok, i just want to know, and sorry for the second question, I want to ask you, who is the best center back in italy under 24?
Sorry!

ps:Nesta is very good, but a lot of people says he is overratted!

bye

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Deklong I have answered the question above.

For me the best CB U24 is between Barzagli and Mantovani! Bovo if he gets his career back on track is surely the most talented.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok thanks!
tchao

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
deklong said:
I want to ask you, who is the best center back in italy under 24?

On current showings it is clearly Barzagli from Palermo, but that also has to do with him playing in a good team, with great defensive organisation under coah Guidolin.
At Chievo last season he showed talent, but also had some horrible mistakes when exposed. he needs to confirm his ability over a longer period of time.

There's no Italian central defender under 24 who has impressed for an extended period of time actually, and Bovo for instance would not have been mentioned at all, if it hadn't been because he did better than Ferrari at the Olympics after Ferrari had had a very strong season. At Lecce he was a roller coaster, and only his age earned him the relative praise he got. He is simply average.

Bonera is a decent player, but hyped beyond belief, and I probably dislike him more than it's fair because I'd be really, really disappointed if the rumours about him coming to juve were to be correct.

It's a black time for Italian football in terms of emerging defensive quality, unfortunately. I remember no period like it to be honest.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
Too bad about ferrari, cuz he got have become something bigger then this though. Other wise I agree with Glen.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Glen said:
Bovo for instance would not have been mentioned at all, if it hadn't been because he did better than Ferrari at the Olympics
To be honest though, that was some tournament he had... I think he showed there he's capable of very good things, and he seems to have a relatively high level when everything's clicking. What's a pity is his absolute lack of speed preventing everything from clicking far too often for him to be a worldbeater. He has potential, but it seems pretty likely he'll never live up to it and not evolve a whole lot from here on out. Pity, particularly for us...

·
Registered
786 Posts
come on fellas BOVO he is youngster who is on the rise!!!!!!!!!!! and bonera is more proven then bovo but they are both valuble assets for italy in the future!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Marco Pisano for Sampdoria is not bad either, but I agree with Glen that Barzagli looks like the best talent out there. About Bonera, it amazes me that he has not scored more own-goals because he has very questionable clearence headers that seem to always fly by his own post.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Bovo is a crap, unfortunately. Bonera is a solid defender, his big advantage are his experience and that he is very versatile, can play in central defence and on the wings.
I agree with Deano that Barzagli is the best italian central defender under 24, but dont forget Matteo Ferrari. Okay he is having a very bad season with Roma, but with Parma he was excellent.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
deklong said:
ps:Nesta is very good, but a lot of people says he is overratted!

bye
And some people also say Metzelder is overrated... since when does a injury that sidelines u for 2 y make you a overrated player? :rollani:

I'd say those people's knowledge of football, if existant at all, is highly overrated.

Bonera is quite average and Bovo so far doesn't seem to be what one'd have thought. Pretty sad, the situation right now of young defenders in Italy.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Djet said:
Bovo is a crap, unfortunately. Bonera is a solid defender, his big advantage are his experience and that he is very versatile, can play in central defence and on the wings.
I agree with Deano that Barzagli is the best italian central defender under 24, but dont forget Matteo Ferrari. Okay he is having a very bad season with Roma, but with Parma he was excellent.
Indeed Ferrari has gone from great to average in his change around, but you should also remember that Bovo's performances this season doesnt exactly lay out his career...

Anyway, for me Italy should call up 3 experinced players called Nesta, Cannavaro and Falcone plus maybe Barzagli or Materazzi and we should be ok. Things change all the time and perforamcnes become greater or crapper from a player, so we will see in time who is the real deal if there is any.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts