Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jean-Alain Bounsong has launched a scathing attack on Gerard Houllier after not taking too kindly to suggestions that he didn't deserve to wear the Red shirt of Liverpool.

When it was announced that the Auxerre defender has agreed a transfer to Glasgow Rangers instead of Liverpool, the news came as a shock to Liverpool fans who were under the impression that the deal was nailed on.

Gerard Houllier responded to the news by claiming that the player had no desire to play for the Reds which has seriously angered the player who said he believed he was Anfield bound.

Boumsong explains that he turned to Glasgow Rangers because Liverpool left him and Auxerre in the dark as to whether or not a transfer to Anfield would happen.

He said: At the end of last season, an agreement had been found between Liverpool and Auxerre. Gerard Houllier explained to me that he was then going to sumbit my contract to his board of directors at Liverpool.

"I awaited a confirmation, some news, but nothing came. After patiently waiting until November, I took it that Houllier did not want me any more ego.

"Houllier led me up the garden path, me and Auxerre. I find that attitude a bit amazing, especially as he said afterwards that I didn't deserve to wear the red shirt of Liverpool.

"I think he should question his own integrity. I'm not the first one he's done that to. Another time, when I was at Le Havre, he did the same thing to me. It's very upsetting and I am a bit sickened.

"I wonder if a man like him deserves to lead such a great club. His way of treating players will tarnish the great image of Liverpool.

"When I understood that that would not go with Liverpool, I took the initiative to find another club. Everyone thought that I had signed (for Liverpool) so we had to enter the market again which was difficult at that stage of the season.

"I actually signed a pre-contract with Rangers for the next five years. Rangers came to me and I got on really well with them. I really felt that they wanted me. For me, the relationship is of primary importance.

"Scotland doesn't have a very competitive league but Rangers is a large club. People have to stop believing that it is about an old people's home for old boys or players on the decline. They want to build a young and competitive team.

"It is an interesting challenge. Maybe Rangers will be a springboard for my career. I won't have any regrets because I just want to play for someone who wants me."
=================
I dont think Boumsong is or was the answer but what the feck is Houllier doing ? To late Jean he's already tarnished the great image of Liverpool.And it will take one hell of a manger to restore it.

D

·
0 Posts
it's just like Anelka all over again, leading players on and then dumping them. I didn't want Boumsong, but he'd have made a good backup.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
from www.liverpoolfc.tv
28 January 2004 : by Paul Rogers
Houllier speaks out on Boumsong transfer

Gerard Houllier has hit back at claims made earlier this week by Jean-Alain Boumsong that the Anfield manager had gone back on his word over the transfer of the French defender to Liverpool.

Boumsong claimed that the Liverpool boss had led him to believe that he was joining the Reds only for the manager to have a sudden change of heart at the last minute. Houllier, however, insists Boumsong is not telling the whole truth on the matter.

"What Boumsong has said is both deceitful and incorrect, and Auxerre and their directors know this full well," claims Gerard. "The player gave me his word that he would join Liverpool, and we even shook hands. Everything was clear, including his salary and the length of his contract.

"I then learned that he and his agent had decided to sell him to the highest bidder from among Inter Milan, Juventus and Rangers. Signing for Rangers is making a choice based on money, and as far as I was concerned the matter was finished. I wish him good luck, but if he really wants me to tell the whole truth about this business it is going to be very bad for him. I have got all the relevant faxes in my possession to show to anybody who wants to know what really went on."

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont who to believe either.But Houllier did virtually the same thing to Dean Richards when he was at Wolves so maybe it has some weight to it.BTW yes im glad we didnt get Richards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts