Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Yeah, Rio de Janeiro's City Hall offered to sign Rivaldo for Botafogo. The club will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2004 and the mayor proposed to help pay Rivo's wages; in exchange Botafogo would wear the logo of the 2007 Panamerican Games, which will be in Rio.

Botafogo's president, Bebeto de Freitas, likes the idea but refuses to sink the club further into debt (the club already is too deeply in debt), so the financial aspect of the operation is being carefuly analyzed. :greed:

Of course... I would be delighted if this happened. :) However, I'm not getting my hopes up. :( If Botafogo finds a way to pay Rivo's wages I'll be sincerely shocked. :undecide:

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Well, Cesar Maia is botafoguense...

But I don't think he should take money from the state that could be used in health, security, etc....

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Botafogo está pronto para fazer uma proposta para Rivaldo

LANCEPRESS!

O presidente do Botafogo, Bebeto de Freitas, se mostrou ansioso com a possibilidade do clube contratar o meia Rivaldo. O dirigente explicou que, a partir do momento que o prefeito do Rio de Janeiro, César Maia, se prontificou a ajudar o Alvinegro na negociação, ele está pronto para fazer uma proposta ao jogador.

- No Botafogo, não falamos de nada que seja absolutamente certo. É um momento muito importante para a história do clube e de futebol do Rio de Janeiro. Tivemos a oportunidade de conversar com o Rivaldo, mas temos que manter os pés no chão - disse Bebeto.

O dirigente não quis falar de valores, nem de que maneira seria feito o pagamento do salário do jogador. Também não há prazo para que Rivaldo dê uma resposta ao Botafogo.

Se a negociação der certo, o Botafogo exibirá, em troca do apoio da prefeitura, um logo no uniforme com a marca Pan-Americano 2007, além de exibir placas sobre o evento no Caio Martins.

DCS

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The romantic in me says GREAT! (but a bigger stadium than Caio Martins will be needed). The hard-headed view re using public funds is: "It can't be allowed to happen"

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
end3r7 said:
Well, Cesar Maia is botafoguense...
Yes, it's very reassuring to see that our public officials are men of intelligence and refined taste. :cool:

end3r7 said:
But I don't think he should take money from the state that could be used in health, security, etc....
And he won't – the money would come from the city's advertising budget. Instead of putting up billboards telling us how great the mayor has been, the money would be invested in signing Rivaldo for Botafogo as a form of sponsorship. I don't believe it will happen... but I like the concept! :happy: ;)

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Garrincha said:

And he won't – the money comes from the city's advertising budget. Instead of putting up billboards telling us how great the mayor has been, the money would be invested in signing Rivaldo for Botafogo. I don't believe it will happen... but I like the concept! :happy: ;)
STill, trust me, this "extra" money could still be used for the general public if it could be wasted on a player.
I know a lot of people will not like what he is doing...
Besides, advertising budget? If he really wanted to advertise something, he would use the biggest club in the city, Flamengo...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
end3r7 said:
Besides, advertising budget? If he really wanted to advertise something, he would use the biggest club in the city, Flamengo...
Well, when the offer to Botafogo was made public, the other three 'traditional' clubs from Rio said they wanted in on the action; and they were told that the same offer stands of all four clubs. However, Rivaldo was offered to Botafogo first: if/when the negotiations between Rivo and Botafogo fail, the others can make their own offers to the player (City Hall would pay the same percentage of Rivo's wages in any of the four clubs). The others can also loo for their own "superstars" if they want to – and Flamengo is already interested in signing Marcelo Gallardo from River Plate using this innovative "sponsorship" format. :neutral:

So you see, the offer is for all Rio clubs. Botafogo was initially chosen for two reasons: first... only Bota and Vasco are looking for sponsors right now (the others have recently-renewed deals); second... from those two, only Botafogo has any credibility at all. Makes sense, really. ;)

But I still don't think it will happen. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
why can't Rivaldo take a paycut and stop being so damn greedy,seems like fooball doesnt matter for him anymore but $$$$ does.

·
Registered
594 Posts
C´mon , that is simply not legal and Mr. Maia knows it , he´s just showing off . I guess he got tired of saying year after year he´s bringing the F1 back to Rio because "os pilotos estão de saco cheio de São Paulo" .

And it´s not just the law , it´s the actual constitution ! Simply GIVING money to the Rio clubs so they can hire great players hurts the "Igualdade" principle .

I would expect Flamengo and Fluminense to fall for this kind of crap , since they´re always looking for miraculous solutions instead of actually fixing their problems . But I tought Botafogo was different .
Trust me Garrincha , your club is better off with the reasonable path it was taking before Mr. Maia showed up . Leave the delusional path for those who are still in fantasy land , waiting for the miracle to happen .

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Ivan Palmer said:
Trust me Garrincha , your club is better off with the reasonable path it was taking before Mr. Maia showed up . Leave the delusional path for those who are still in fantasy land , waiting for the miracle to happen .
Oh, I agree... but Cesar Maia was the author of the whole initiative. Consider the club's position: you're trying to sort out all the financial/structural problems and get budget-realistic reinforcements like Guilherme or Luis Alberto. Then the mayor knocks on the door and offers to get Rivaldo(!!!) for the club, also paying a huge chunk of the player's wages, as a form of sponsorship. :eekani: Surely kicking the mayor out wouldn't be the best course of action? No, the smart thing to do is to sit down and at least study the viability of this idea. What's the harm? :)

But you're right, it's a preposterous idea to begin with, which is why I don't take it too seriously. Cesar Maia himself coined a term for these creative "initiatives" that he regularly announces to keep the press busy: Factoids. :mute: I believe the term is self-explanatory... :rollani:

·
Registered
594 Posts
THAT´S IT ! I HAD TO WRITE THIS ****ING MESSAGE ****ING FIVE TIMES SINCE THIS ****ING COMPUTER ****ING ERASED IT EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME !
AND YES , I FORGOT TO COPY AND PASTE IT EVERY ****ING TIME !
GAAAAAAAAAARRRRGHHHH:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :devil: :devil: :devil: :mad: :mad: :mad:
FINE , I´LL JUST COMEBACK TOMORROW .

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
It is ridiculous , Poor Bebeto having to deal with Rio's media illusions makers...Maia also said he would build a stadium for Flu and Fla and that would be reason enough to the public authority question him "Where are you hiding all this money, Mr. Maia. Stop lying to our citzens"...Saddly...

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Well, Bebeto announced that Botafogo has already arranged the money to pay their share of the player's wages, and now the ball is with Cesar Maia. Is he full of hot air? Will he really go through with this controversial sponsorship? If he does, Botafogo will be able to honor their share of the cost; and if he doesn't, only the mayor's own credibility will be strained, with no cost for the club. :undecide:

Bebeto de Freitas underlined that the coming of Rivaldo would/will increase the marketability of the State Championship, and if some of the other Rio clubs can find their own star reinforcements it will only be beneficial to everybody. Flamengo wants an Argentinian (as they have a tradition of successful Argies) and Vasco is looking for a Portuguese NT player to please their vast Portuguese fan base (Nuno Gomes and Figo are the names mentioned so far – please contain your laughter).

Now we'll just have to wait and see how serious Maia is... :neutral: If what he wanted was to advertise the 2007 Panamerican Games, it's already working, with all the international repercussion surrounding Rivaldo's possible move to Rio de Janeiro. But what other international stars (who could create the international headlines Maia wants) could be signed by Rio clubs, besides Rivaldo?
:confused:

·
Registered
594 Posts
This isn´t legal , if Maia does that he should lose his job in a second .
End , there is absolutely no law in this country allowing this kind of thing .
César Maia can´t just define whatever he wants as sponsorship , much less pick a team or two he has some sympathy for and start GIVING then a load of money .
The "promoting the pan" excuse is a joke , no judge in the world is gonna buy that . Any footbal-related ignorant , half-brained guy , knows the intention is to help the Rio clubs by giving then the money they´ve tossed away in the past few years . Maia and the press are not even trying to hide it .
Maybe the can convince some lousy judge if they promise that Rivaldo will wear the Pan´s shirt instead of Botafogo´s , and instead of playing he will be just outside the field , jumping like a cheerleader with pompoms included . Then it might work !

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Ivan Palmer said:

End , there is absolutely no law in this country allowing this kind of thing .
No, you are wrong. THere is no law that doesn't let it happen.
Actually, you can't apply the budget for "entertainment" in "health" for example (I'm against this, but you can't), so if it is not gonna be used for health or security anyway, he can say that Rivaldo playing in a Rio team is entertainment...

It is more of a moral issue... and Cesar Maia was doing so well... :(

·
Administrator
29,688 Posts
But this is different, he can hire Rivaldo to work for enterteiment, but he can not give the benefict of him to one particular stabilishment (Botafogo), plus, all use of money must be in the budget (which by now is probally already fixed) and in the end of next year the "Lei de responsabilidade" will make him pay for it...
He can do it and it is possible that brazilian usual careless for the public resourses allow such thing but it wont be hard to find thousands a legal ways to stop such use of public money. And since next year is election year...he is full of people with interest to see him playing for a fool.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Pela ultima vez, a verba que seria usada nas negociações desses jogadores para os clubes do Rio seria da área de eventos e propaganda, entao não tem nada com projetos sociais, educação ou saúde. Essas verbas não podem ser utilizadas para outros fins, eh lei.
Ou seja, de uma maneira ou outro, ele ia aplicar essas verbas pra o Pan de 2004. Como futebol eh a forma de marketing numero 1 no Brasil, ele quer usar os times do Rio.
Nao eh ilegal! Eh mais imoral, sacou? Pq tem gente que mesmo assim vai se sentir lesado.

E tenho dito. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts