Xtratime Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are speculative reports today suggesting that Middlesborough could be preparing an ambitious £8m bid for Dion Dublin.

Dublin was top scorer last season, was a target for ‘Boro boss Bryan Robson 2 years ago when he signed for Villa. At the time, the Teeside club couldn’t afford his wage demands.

Robson has a supposed £15m in his transfer kitty, and may see Dublin as the ideal striker to get him into Europe. Dublin has averaged slightly worse than a goal every other game since his controversial move to VP from Coventry, a good strike rate by anyone’s standards. He opened his season’s account yesterday against Pribram in the Intertoto. He has been a big favourite with the Holte, scoring the winning goal against Bolton in the Cup Semi last season.

I personally felt that when he returned from his broken neck towards the end of last season, Villa became too one-dimensional again, as they had been up until Christmas. In his absence, Villa had learnt to play to feet and get midfield players ahead of the ball. On his return, they immediately resorted to playing to his supposed strength – his aerial power. Results took a dip, and Villa failed to achieve anything. I’m not suggesting it was Dion’s fault, but many Villa fans I’ve spoken to wouldn’t be sad to see the back of him.

I’ve heard at least one comment of ‘For £8m I’d drive him to ‘Boro myself’. This story would be greeted by the media with cries of ‘deepening Villa crisis’, but I think it could be positive. If we do keep Dion, I’d like to see him in central defence, a position that earned him international recognition during his Sky Blue days.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts