Skulason
Papadopulos

my team would be

-----------------------Stacky
Ralph--------Kolo-----------Cygan--------Clichy

Razor--------Paddy--------Edu----------Bobby

-----------------Bentley
-----------------------------Reyes

we should outplay them with this team i reckon,hope Reyes makes many driftings to the left to embarass Mills in Titi's absence :D

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as it happens ,scrub that squad,i think the BBC have just made it up because we sold Jermone Thomas for £100,000 on Saturday :rolleyes:

Reyes ready to take on Boro

Jose Antonio Reyes is set to make his full Arsenal debut in Tuesday night's Carling Cup semi-final second leg at Middlesbrough.

The multi-million pound signing has been cleared to play by the Football League, despite not having been signed when the second leg was originally due to take place last week before it was postponed.

The Spanish striker is likely to be joined in the Arsenal line-up by experienced figures such as Patrick Vieira, Edu, Martin Keown and Pascal Cygan as the Gunners look to overturn a 1-0 deficit.

However, Arsene Wenger will field only a handful of the players who appeared in Sunday's 2-1 Premiership win against Manchester City, with Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp not even expected to travel to The Riverside Stadium.

Fredrik Ljungberg is doubtful in any case with a rib injury, while Sylvain Wiltord and Jeremie Aliadiere are also injured, and Kanu is at the African Nations Cup finals.

:cool:

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Yesterday I was surprised that Wenger didn't play Vieira or Edu. Now I understand that it was his strategy to save them for this Boro match. It's good to see that Wenger is actually serious to win this cup.

I hope we win it 2-0 with both Reyes and Bentley score.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Vieira was suspended and Edu is not as competitive as Gilberto or Palour in a midfield packed with 5 Man City players. I don't think Rayes should be in the starting line up. Let's keep him protected for a while :D.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BeBu said:
Vieira was suspended and Edu is not as competitive as Gilberto or Palour in a midfield packed with 5 Man City players. I don't think Rayes should be in the starting line up. Let's keep him protected for a while :D.
don't play him? :eek:

this is an ideal opportunity for him to be exposed to an away day in the English game and gain valuable experience.

he showed yesterday he needs no protection and can fight his own battles :D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would prefer him as a second half substitute. I think it's better for him to watch other guys for 45 minutes and then come in and play the match. Anyway, I am dying to see him again :D. Watched him yesterday and i like his technique, speed and understanding with our other players. I wish he run more without the ball though.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I disagree,i think it would be better off with some of our yoots on the bench watching him and learning :D

as for running with the ball,i'd imagine the pitch had something to do without it,not good conditions for dribbling. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes, Jermone Thomas was sold to Charlton for £100,000.

Is that the going rate for youth players? If so that is cheap. I would've thought he was worth more than that, being a rising star Arsenal player.

I think Reyes should play the full 90 min. give him the full premier league feel, let the fans see his full potential and give youngersters hope for the future.:cool:

PS have we sold Juan or not?

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes Juan is now plying his trade with Fluminense with Romario and Edmundo as teammates,although we still own 50% of any sell on fee :cool:

Thomas went for £100,000 basically because he is unproven,he's 21 now and so we just let him go to have a decent career as he will never be good enough to challenge José,Fred and Bob for the wide positions :(

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
don't think Rayes should be in the starting line up. Let's keep him protected for a while
reyes will play, he needs to play. this is a PERFECT opportunity for him to score AND get use to the premiership with added pressure

good idea by wenger, winning this cup would be so bad :)

and no, i aint making this cup worth anything just becuase arsenal is in it, cup is a cup.

even if we win, i'll be quite happy, not over happy as winning the FA cup or EPL or CL :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey we will qualify for EUFA cup if we win mate :eek: :D. I guess I am a bit conservative as far as playing Reyes is concerned. However with him playing we will have a real chance of beating Boro.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
hehe UEFA cup, not needed, we are CL secure!!

i want edu to score a hattrick this time

his been a great gunner

and showed it in the man city match

did you see edu stick up for ashly cole?

his a true gooner, the first to run in and push anelka away, i love you edu!

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
It will be a strong line up today with perhaps Clichy ,Stack and Bentley the only youngsters starting.

Parlour, Pires, Edu and Vieira will be in midfield. If Boro see this line uo they will start the gaem with fear as they only beat a young/reserve Arsenal team 1-0. When Arsene played a decent team in the FA Cup, they were destroyed.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Reyes had a shocking game tonight, but he's an excellent young player with bags of quality. He just needs to mature a year or two before he'll get real consistency in his game. Once he gets that, he'll be a worldbeater.

That's what annoys me about all the "(Cristiano)Ronaldo bashers". The lad is only 18, and whilst having a couple of poor games, he's also had a few match-winning performances. Yet some people constantly slag him off and call him a one trick pony.....It's ridiculous, and blinkered.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I take back everything I've said about reyes... WHAT A FINISH! Diego Forlan and Wes Brown rolled into one... :dazed:

I'm sure the kid will come good though ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's OFFICIAL!!

Arsenal lost 2-1 to Middlesbrough. With Reyes of all people scoring an own goal.

"It appears that Reyes' challenge just nicked the ball into the perfect position for the swing of Parnaby's boot - one of the strangest 'assists' you'll ever seen. It may even be an own-goal! Surely, game over now. That was Parnaby's first ever goal for Boro (or was it?) - and what an important time to get it"

"The second goal has now officially gone down as an own goal by Reyes - certainly not the way he would have envisiged hitting the back of the net for the first time in an Arsenal shirt!"

Trust them to give Reyes the own goal, a highely rated recent Arsenal player instead of crediting it to Parnaby.!! :rolleyes:

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SuicideDD said:
Reyes had a shocking game tonight, but he's an excellent young player with bags of quality. He just needs to mature a year or two before he'll get real consistency in his game. Once he gets that, he'll be a worldbeater.

That's what annoys me about all the "(Cristiano)Ronaldo bashers". The lad is only 18, and whilst having a couple of poor games, he's also had a few match-winning performances. Yet some people constantly slag him off and call him a one trick pony.....It's ridiculous, and blinkered.
that's only because many Mancs were hailing him as the new Georgie Best after twenty minutes against Bolton,it's your fault you should have kept your powder dry.

also his multiple stepovers without doing anything are truly funny if you look at it from a rivals point of view,at least Reyes just loses it without looking like a flash harry,I'd say Reyes is about two or three steps on from Ronaldo.

about tonight in both games we lost because of a lack of an out and out striker,both Bentley and Reyes looked lost without any support,it will be a different story when they play with Pires,Henry and Fred giving them proper options.

Keown i'm afraid is finished now,time waits for no man and he looked a bit of a joke tbh tonight,time to step down.

i thought we played well tonight especially second half where Paddy was tip top,just that lack of cutting edge,but i'm sure we'll get over going out of the Carling Cup.

Wolves on Saturday,the United conquerors,should be a confidence booster . ;)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I'd say Reyes is about two or three steps on from Ronaldo.
I'd agree with that, but he's also 2 years older, which is a lot in footballing terms. And he's been playing first team football in a competitive league for 2/3 years. Compared to Ronaldo's substitute appearances for Sporting last year.

I think they'll both go on to be world class players in the future, and I don't use the term "world class" lightly.

btw - Ronaldo doesn't do many stepovers anymore. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts